Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The Korean Conundrum (NK Redux)

The Korean Conundrum (NK Redux)
Snow-i
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2013, 01:37 PM

I've been waiting for a new thread or for an older one to be revived on the subject, but at this point, I think it warrants discussion.

More of the same from North Korea? Or have things escalated. What's the line we draw before destroying North Korea (either via complete trade sanctions or unilateral military action)?

How long do we let this annoying little wasp threaten a nuclear war before pulling out our wasp spray?

Do we wait until they act on a military threat or attempt action against South Korea, Japan, or US interests? Do we let them continue to develop nuclear weapons to put on ballistic missiles?

To me, the new kim on the block is trying to solidify his power base with all his new saber rattling, and it is in our interest to weaken that power base and give the people of NK a chance to take their country back (via politics and/or a coup).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 12, 2013, 01:41 PM

No preemptive or unilateral action.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2013, 01:51 PM

China will take care of it.

100% serious.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2013, 07:17 PM

NK wants the US to bomb their country, and then pay for the reconstruction. Why not? It worked for Iraq.

A few dead Koreans in exchange for a few billions in free infrastructure probably looks like a really great deal.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2013, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
Do we wait until they act on a military threat or attempt action against South Korea, Japan, or US interests?
Yes. The last time you didn't, it was a major, major fnck up. Learn from your mistakes for once.

Do we let them continue to develop nuclear weapons to put on ballistic missiles?
Sure, we can always close that barn door. It's never too late.

To me, the new kim on the block is trying to solidify his power base with all his new saber rattling
Um, how exactly does that work?

He's not "solidifying" anything. It's the same old game for the NK: make some threatening moves, be rewarded with some Western money. Kim is looking for yet another handout from the West, nothing more.

... it is in our interest to weaken that power base and give the people of NK a chance to take their country back (via politics and/or a coup).
Yes, that always works out sooooo well.

cgc
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2013, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
China will take care of it.

100% serious.
China may have Kin Jong Un go stand in the corner with his hands up for a while for a time-out.
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2013, 09:01 AM

They can lure him there with a bucket of chicken wings.

cgc
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2013, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
They can lure him there with a bucket of chicken wings.
Put down a trail of wings going into a jail cell...
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2013, 07:35 AM

I've been waiting for a new thread or for an older one to be revived on the subject, but at this point, I think it warrants discussion.

More of the same from North Korea? Or have things escalated. What's the line we draw before destroying North Korea (either via complete trade sanctions or unilateral military action)?

How long do we let this annoying little wasp threaten a nuclear war before pulling out our wasp spray?

Do we wait until they act on a military threat or attempt action against South Korea, Japan, or US interests? Do we let them continue to develop nuclear weapons to put on ballistic missiles?

To me, the new kim on the block is trying to solidify his power base with all his new saber rattling, and it is in our interest to weaken that power base and give the people of NK a chance to take their country back (via politics and/or a coup).
I agree with the others that oppose preemptive and/or unilateral action. It is ultimately in China's best interest to avoid a situation that would drive refugees into China and in this case we need to maintain dialogue with the Chinese. While I don't appreciate mckenna's combative approach to dealing with your questions, he is correct IMO. Un is merely attempting to perpetuate a longterm policy of threat for appeasement. If they're in line, no appeasement money necessary. There will eventually be targeted strikes on NK's nuclear infrastructure, but not US-led.
ebuddy

OreoCookie
Apr 14, 2013, 10:30 PM

China will decide when it has had enough, when the benefits of having North Korea as a buffer between the US sphere of influence are outweighed by its irresponsible actions. So as soon as China drops Kim Jong Un, it will fall rather quickly. Going in unilaterally would be irresponsible, create major international problems with China and cause a large number of casualties on the North Korean side, I agree with Ipkmckenna and ebuddy here.

What is quite interesting is that the South Koreans and Japanese I've talked to (a friend of mine just started his military service in the South Korean army) are rather relaxed and tell me that the only thing they are worried about is a failed missile demonstration which accidentally (no quotation marks and snark implied) start a war. They seem convinced it's all a charade to allow Junior tighten his grip on power in North Korea. I hope they're right, after all, I live in the closest major city of Japan to the Korean peninsula.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Snow-i  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2013, 04:51 PM

Do any of you believe China is close to disposing of the Kim regime? I do not advocate military action in NK, however I am for starving the Kim regime of influence and power.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 15, 2013, 06:09 PM

North Korea would become the new source of cheap labor for South Korea, and China doesn't want to lose that. I think China is going to wait until a missile actually launches before they do anything; when they literally have no options left.

I read that Japan is going to go on the offensive if any missiles are launched, even "testing" missiles. If Japan goes in, you can bet the U.S. will take over operations. I think the U.S. is also waiting until the last second, not just to avoid another costly war, but so they can do it in a manner as to not piss of China.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Snow-i  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2013, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
North Korea would become the new source of cheap labor for South Korea, and China doesn't want to lose that. I think China is going to wait until a missile actually launches before they do anything; when they literally have no options left.

I read that Japan is going to go on the offensive if any missiles are launched, even "testing" missiles. If Japan goes in, you can bet the U.S. will take over operations. I think the U.S. is also waiting until the last second, not just to avoid another costly war, but so they can do it in a manner as to not piss of China.
Isn't Japan bound by treaty to not launch any offensive attacks and to only maintain defensive military operations? Or do you think the US/world would look the other way at this point.

OreoCookie
Apr 16, 2013, 08:17 PM

Isn't Japan bound by treaty to not launch any offensive attacks and to only maintain defensive military operations? Or do you think the US/world would look the other way at this point.
The US has been looking the other way ever since WW2: Article 9 of the Japanese constitution states that Japan is not allowed to have a military. So Japan rebadged their military forces to self-defense forces. That being said, I doubt Japan will start an offensive on their own without coordinating the attack with US and South Korea.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2013, 02:55 PM

When was the last time Japan attacked someone?

Forum Links
Forum Rules