Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Recovery HD Partition Re-creation

Recovery HD Partition Re-creation
akent35
Banned
Aug 6, 2014, 03:57 PM

Please excuse me if this has already been mentioned. I did not see anything on this forum about it.

Recently, I had an issue with some possible "rogue" software I had downloaded to my internal drive. Specifically, I was trying to help another user here with a question he had (can't remember the topic right now). So, after doing a google search, I thought I had found a solution. But, after downloading and installing the product, it gave me "fits", but only on this site! (Still don't know why that was the case).

In any event, I rebooted from my most recent Super Duper backup (done 2 days earlier), and then just did a restore to my internal drive from that backup. Worked like a charm, and I was up and running fine (including everything working as normal on this site). But, I forgot one thing: Super Duper does not contain the Recovery HD partition/information (Carbon Copy Cloner does).

I actually did not realize that until today (stupid me!), so earlier I started researching how to re-create the Recovery HD partition (and associated software) on my internal drive. Along the way, I discovered this gem:

Recovery Partition Creator 3.7 – Updated for Mavericks | Musings

In looking at this, it sounded just what I needed. Fortunately, I had a recent Super Duper backup of my internal drive. So, after copying the Install OS X Mavericks software from one of my saved folders to my Applications folder, I downloaded and launched Recovery Partition Creator, and it worked like a champ! After going through its' step of checking my drive for errors (did not find any, as I suspected, especially since I had run Tech Tool Pro on Saturday, as part of my backup process), it asked where the Install OS X Mavericks software was. I pointed to the copy in my Applications folder, and the software did its' thing. That is, it created the Recovery HD partition, along with the associated OS X software.

Just two caveats to this, though. First, as expected, the Install OS X Mavericks software originally in my Applications folder was deleted. So, to make it easier, one should make sure they have another copy of it somewhere else. Secondly, not sure if this was overkill, but after the Recovery Partition Creator completed, I re-installed the OS 10.9.4 Combo Updater, just in case there were any changes/enhancements to the Recovery HD software.

In any event, if this has already been covered before, my apologies. Whether that is the case or not, this software is fantastic, and I highly recomemd it.
( Last edited by akent35; Aug 6, 2014 at 04:51 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules