Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > any experienced FFMPEGX users out there?

any experienced FFMPEGX users out there?
smileLP
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2006, 06:33 PM

hi, i think the last mac OS update (i'm now at 10.4.8) killed my ffmpegx, which iuse to convert mpg's to avi's for various reasons

anyway, i just pd. for the durn thing (again!) but that didn't help my problem, which is:

it's telling me i need to add those same 3 dopey things

- mpeg2enc

- mencoder

- mplayer

i go to the sites mentioned & DL 'em and try and add 'em but it sez, "unsuccessful." very frustrating. keeps saying can't find them and i've got em but it won't let me add 'em. needless to say the program doesn't work

anybody been through anything similar? any tips on how to get past this?

btw, i can't reach the programmer who sells this; the stated web site doesn't work and i don't see any e-mail

thanks much!
( Last edited by smileLP; Nov 30, 2006 at 08:34 PM. )

pilotdude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2006, 08:48 PM

smileLP,

I have been using ffmpegx on 10.4.8 successfully.

When I downloaded the three files I put them in a folder where I could reference them. Then I went to the Menu ffmpegX -> Install Binaries

A Dialog Box comes up with the three files listed and a check box in front of each. I checked each box and for each file I clicked "locate" and navigated to the aforementioned folder on my drive and selected the "choose" or "open" option.

Then I typed in my password and clicked install.

Good Luck!

smileLP  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2006, 10:08 PM

hi, thanks for trying to help. i did exactly as you said (it was what i had been trying anyway), and i still get an error msg saying "the installation was not successful. no address associated w/node name.... cannot open; error is not recoverable. closing now."

anybody know an e-mail for these people (or a phone #?). i've pd. for the thing twice!

also, when i go to get the first thing it's asking for (i figure maybe they want a brand new DL'd one) and i click on the DL link, i get gobbledegook, not a download. witness (it fills up w/pgs. of this stuff): (is the DL for that item not working?)

þíúÎ
¨�8__PAGEZERO$__TEXT°° __text__TEXT ìôì�__picsymbol_stub__TEXT2à ´"à�$__symbol_stub__TEXT<�,��E__cstring_ _TEXT<�>¼,�__const__TEXT{P ákP__literal8_ _TEXT�8�w8__eh_frame__TEXT�Ð% xÐ` __constructor__TEXT�Ü�Ü__destructor__TE XT�Ü�Ü__textcoal_nt__TEXT�Ü�Ü@ __lite ral4__TEXT�ô�ô�__DATAÀÐ�  __data__DATAÀ¬�__la_symbol_ptr__DATAÇ� ��E__nl_symbol_ptr__DATAÈÀ��À�__dyld__DA TAËh�h__gcc_except_tab__DATAË���__const __DATAÏ � __datacoal_nt__DATAÑ´lÁ�@ __bss__DATAÓ ô__common__DATAå ��8__LINKEDITlÐl /usr/lib/dyld 4>#�??/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylibÐ_ڐÜ PMÕÀ4Õ� ÔtM�( ì|: x8!ÿüT!48�!ÿÀ�z8�;cW{:|�ÚH à|���ÿð�!ÿ B�è�||x|ž#x|�+xH�=? ���Ì=?�É�Ð=?���Ô=?�)����, A� }��N�!=?�)���, A� }��N�!H�=?���à� ,A� }��N�!Hé=?���Ü� ,A� }��N�!<8cd8�@HY�a@,A�H8=?�)�� �~}i[x, A�X99@� ,A�(| P�,/@�}
J9J�>| P�,@�ÿà,A� 8H�=?� �Ø�ëx�,A��,@�ÿø�ãxÄóx�ëx8ÆH�H E|��áÿü��!ÿ B�è�<8cü8�@Hy��@}��N �!�h8!`|��áÿüN� =`�kËh,�A�N� 8 N8�`�<à8`8D8`;8Dà=�� Ëh| �=�a�N� =`�kËl}i�N� |��aÿì�||x�!ÿ�|�#x8`8�(HÝ8(|}x8`-����}H��ëx�}8`-�h8!`�aÿì|�HX|���ÿð�|}x�!ÿ�;À8`-|�#xHY9a@,�a@A�T�+� |è@�,� |à@� � }>Kx� �), (A�HÉ� 9i,@�ÿ�H�a@|dx8`-HÉ,A�$�� , A�}��ÃóxN�!ÃóxHY�h8!`��ÿð|�N� |��áÿü�B��!ÿ�è�H=?�)�D�), A�� (A�,<�c��H��X<8!P�c��|��áÿüHt�X8! P�áÿü|�N� |���ÿôB��è��!ÿ�<;À8cäHu=?�)��) |H@@�0}=KxÃóxH-ÕÄóx|ex;Þ<8cøH|è@A�ÿÜ8`H

also, i don't know if this is a clue or not, but the last 2 things you're supposed to do are a) enter your OS Admin password (in my case it's just return) and then click on install. whenever i hit the return for my pwd, it starts trying to install it right then and there. the install button is glowing blue all along as if to say when you hit return i'll install. maybe it is the [hit return] as my pwd that is confusing it? it worked when i set it up a yr ago though

thanks for trying... other suggestions welcome

gMan
Dec 1, 2006, 06:39 AM

The random characters that appear instead of the download, are caused by a MIME type misconfiguration on the server side. This doesn't stop the download from working, but it prevents your browser from knowing what to do with the file. It is treating it as text instead of a program, so it is trying to display it...

To download it with Safari, do this:
  1. Paste the URL for the file into the address bar in Safari, and hold down option while pressing return, to download the file instead of displaying it
  2. Once the file has downloaded, go and highlight it in the Finder, do a 'Get Info', and under 'Name & Extension:' delete the .txt extension

The file should be okay then.

gMan
Dec 1, 2006, 06:41 AM

Also the website seems to work ok for me, its ffmpegX a DVD, SVCD, VCD, CVD, VOB, DivX, XviD, H.264, PSP, iPod, MP4, MOV, FLV encoder for Mac OSX and there is an email address on that page for the developer

pilotdude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2006, 09:27 AM

smileLP,

For the mpeg2enc you have to ctl-click or right click the "mpeg2enc bianary" or "is available here" link on the download page of ffmpegX and then select "save linked file to the desktop". Don't just click on it to open the page. You should see a file named mpeg2enc.intel.txt on your desktop. It has all that goobdyglop in it but when I link to it ffmpegX reads it. I didn't even have to remove the .txt part. I just redownloaded and installed it just to be sure nothing had changed and it worked. If you have already done this the only other think I would say is try to install each file individually and see if you can isolate which one is giving you the problem. gMan's method should work too.

Good Luck!
( Last edited by pilotdude; Dec 1, 2006 at 09:59 AM. )

pilotdude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2006, 09:56 AM

Sorry, here is the link to the download page. Download ffmpegX a DVD, SVCD, VCD, CVD, VOB, DivX, XviD, H.264, PSP, iPod, MP4, MOV encoder for Mac OSX

Just remember to right or CTL click on the mpeg2enc binary link (the other two just click as usual) and download linked file to desktop. My apologies if you have already tried it this way. but hope it helps!

smileLP  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2006, 11:51 AM

g,man, your trick for DL'ing it worked, but it showed up grayed out

even removing the .txt left it grayed out

also, sometimes my DL'd version throws the word "intel" in there before "txt"

the "3 check box window" still doesn't like it and tells me installation unsuccessful

hmm, i have version 0.0.9.u. i see they have 0.0.9.x. wonder if that will make the diff.

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2006, 11:57 AM

Have you tried moving them to [root]/Library/Application Support/ffmpegX manually?

smileLP  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2006, 12:23 PM

application support, eh? i just assumed i'd slap these in the applications folder. is that wrong?

i think DL'ing that newer version may have helped. it SEEMS to be working now (t even took a grayed out component; one of the 3 it was asking for)

btw, does anyone know of a better program for converting MPGs to AVI's? (thanks)

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2006, 09:31 PM

I copied the needed components links and then pasted them in Camino's address bar and hit the return key and the files automatically began to download onto my desktop.
Safari gives me the same problem on certain sites, but I use Camino as it's my browser of choice and doesn't give me the same problem.

Once you download the two required files, you need to unzip them. FFMPEG could care less where you put them, so long as you locate them when it request upon startup. I put mine in a folder I named video components in my applications folder.

This first file you download comes with mpeg2enc.intel file (if you are using a intel mac). Move this to you location of choice.
The second download is the zip file that contains the binaries for both mencoder and mplayer.
You only need to download the one for the other two required files. Unzip it and move both files into the same folder you moved the mpeg2enc.intel file. Then fire up FFMPEG and locate the require binaries. You should be able to choose all codecs and nothing should be grayed out.

As far as other options for conversion you have.
VLC
DiVA
Quicktime Pro
Sorensen Squeeze
Autodesk Cleaner (more for streaming optimization)
DivX for Mac

It all depends on what you want to do, but FFMPEG is awesome and should do the trick once you figure it out and get everything down.
( Last edited by the_glassman; Dec 2, 2006 at 09:37 PM. )

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 31, 2007, 08:55 PM

I too am having a rough time getting this to work.
I am trying to convert mpegs into 3GP files on a PPC mac

I had little bit of trouble installing the mpeg2enc.intel thati downloaded through Safari but after getting it from Firefox it installed correctly, or at least ffmpegX no longer highlights it in red in the install binaries window.

The application churns for a few seconds and spits out a 0k sized file. What am I doing wrong? Or what other cheap or free applications do 3GP conversions?

Forum Links
Forum Rules