Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Multiple users woes

Multiple users woes
Danoir
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2000, 01:38 PM

I just received my Rev D imac with OS 9 installed (used, obviously) and I decided to play around with Multiple users. After setting up 2 additional accounts, I logged out only to realize I did not set an administrator password. Now, I don't have to system discs so I can't do anything with those, I only have 8.6 to work with. How can I get back in? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

D

gMan
Jul 31, 2000, 08:12 AM

If you start up from any other volume, then move the "Multi-User Startup" file out of the Extensions folder, it should let you boot into OS 9 as normal. After that, there's probably a preferences file you can delete that will reset the admin password...

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2000, 08:18 AM

Hey, cool! Now I know how to - okay, I'll shut up now.

crazyB
Jul 31, 2000, 10:34 AM

First, if you did not set an admin password, you should be able to get in without one. On the other hand, if you have an admin account that you don't know the password to, as stated previously, you can just boot your 8.6 cd, and remove the multiple-user startup and use it in single user mode just fine. But, if you want to use multiple users, it is somewhat more challenging (I changed mine incorrectly once, and it's not easy to fix, but possible). If you want more detailed instructions, e-mail me at [email protected], and I will try to help where I can (I remember at least most of what I did).

Cipher13
Aug 1, 2000, 04:36 AM

I just start from any OS CD and remove "Multi-User Prefs".
As for the admin password, does anyone know any hacks for that (including apps)? If so, e-mail me please.
We have a situation in the computer lab, where it seems the admin passwords are being changed. I'm one step away from getting autho to make everyone use panels, which would be a real shame, hiding the Finder and all.
Its easy enough to fix (use above method), but a pain nontheless.
I can think of one way to change the password, without having to know the old password, and will set up a trap there, but the point remains...

Cipher13

Forum Links
Forum Rules