Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Multi-users and partitions question

Multi-users and partitions question
Herr Newton
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 4, 2000, 04:05 PM

My current Mac is about to become a hand-me-down to the rest of the family. When they get it, it'll have a 2.0 GB drive in it which is MORE than sufficient for what they'll be doing. (exact config is a 360MHz G3, 128 MB of RAM, and a Rage Orion. Upgraded PowerCenter Pro model.)

This is what I want to do:
  • 1.0 GB partition for the OS, applications, etc. Only I would have access to this partition.
  • .5 GB Mom partition for my mom's stuff
  • .5 GB Sister partition for my sis' stuff.

Can I do this with multiusers? I know it'll let you create user folders, but will an alias to a partition work in lieu of an actual folder? I'd just try it myself but I'm not in the mood to reinstall multiusers and repartition a hard drive (I have several...) on my work machine, just to test it out.

gMan
Aug 4, 2000, 10:49 PM

It works fine for me when a user's folder is an alias to a folder on another volume, or even if the whole "Users" folder resides on another volume. However, Multiple Users gets grumpy if the user's Desktop Folder isn't on the boot volume. I had to create desktop folders for each user on the boot volume, and place aliases to these in each user's folder.

Forum Links
Forum Rules