Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Memory purge?????

Memory purge?????
SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2002, 10:44 PM

Can ANYONE help me here?
I've ran into this problem since day one of useing a Mac. I have a 500 ibook w/ 320 megs ram. The trouble starts after I've had several apps open and go to open a big game or something. Say I have 100 megs left and the game needs 150, I quit the apps (all of them) and it will still say I only have 100. I have to restart to get all the ram back..if that makes sense.

This dosent happen all time by any means but when it dose, I'd love to know a trick on how to purge the ram back.

thanks
Kent

runcoberry
Jan 9, 2002, 01:14 AM

It seems the easy and half-a** solution to your problem would be to turn on vm to 50 megs, or more, just so you can compensate......and I think the memory will trickel back into existence while you play your game. The other solution would be to buy the new g4 imac, and never have any problems in the entire world.

[email protected]
One OS to Rule them all,
and in the Darkness [dramatic pause] Bind them.

-- Tiger

fulmer
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2002, 02:11 AM

there's a little app that will supposedly purge your memory. Head over to www.versiontracker.com and search more specifically for what you want. Here is one I found.

Versiontracker

EMD-F40PH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2002, 08:28 AM

Here is the download link for an app I've been using since Mac OS 8. It's called MacOSPurge and found on Macfixit. It takes your memory and "purges" your (I can never remember which one it is..) Contiguous / NonContiguous memory.
http://www.macfixit.com/library/tul/MacOSPurge.sit.hqx

Cheers,

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2002, 08:50 AM

those apps don't always do the job. you may need to quit all open applications (faceless or otherwise), extensions, and the finder in order to get your RAM back together in one big chunk.

myself, i use finderpop for this sort of thing when i'm using OS 9. added benefit: it also makes contextual menus about a hundred times more useful, lets you assign file types, and a host of other features.

-r.

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: rjenkinson ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules