Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Chess

Chess
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2020, 09:14 AM

I played a game of Chess a week or so ago for the first time in about 6 years. I'd forgotten how much I used to love it as a teenager. I'm nowhere near as good any more but I've been dipping into chess.com ever since Thursday before last.

I don't mind admitting it was entirely inspired by The Queen's Gambit on Netflix. Anyone else partake?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Thorzdad
Nov 28, 2020, 10:19 AM

I like playing chess, but I suck terribly. I haven't a mind for any sort of strategic thinking.
We finished watching Queen's Gambit last week, and enjoyed the show quite a bit. Apparently, sales of chess sets are through the roof this season, thanks almost entirely to the popularity of the show.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2020, 12:59 PM

Love the musical.

Chess is one of those games where I know the rules*, but don’t really know how to play, if that makes sense. My dad is pretty good, though.

*En passant is bullshit.

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2020, 01:16 PM

If you have any interest in learning how to play properly, chess.com has a lot of resources you can use for free to learn. Puzzles, lessons, theory, openings etc. You can analyse the games you play too. I often disagree when it tells me I made a mistake quite often but its always interesting.

I managed to win three slow games on the bounce but I got trounced in couple of faster games earlier. Really stupid mistakes. Apparently I can't play chess and watch football at the same time.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2020, 01:35 PM

I’ve been tempted to hit up my dad in that regard, but I’m ultimately too much a child of video games. I’d much rather play Civilization or something.

andi*pandi
Nov 28, 2020, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Love the musical.
We've done all our market research
And our findings show
That this game of chess could be around
A month or so
Maybe it's a bit confusing
For a game
But Rubik's Cubes were much the same
In the end the whole world bought one
All were gone
By which time we merchandisers
Had moved on...

I know what the pieces do and play a little but find the "thinking 5 moves ahead" strategizing a bit tedious.

OreoCookie
Nov 28, 2020, 10:06 PM

I’ve started watching chess on youtube about a year ago or so. If anyone wants to get into it, search for agadmator. For more entertainment, I recommend gothamchess or the real OG (or, more correctly, the real GM) Hikaru Nakamura.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2020, 01:21 PM

I played pretty regularly through my teenage years. My father taught me the game. He even got me one of those chess games where you could play against the computer at different levels. Eventually I was good enough to beat it pretty consistently. But I gravitated away from it as I got older. Probably because I wasn’t around many people who knew how to play.

OAW

mindwaves
Nov 29, 2020, 08:26 PM

Used to play a lot during high school. Every lunch in fact. Was #1 in high school unofficially. Haven't played as much since then. Played against the computer and sister a few times and that is all.

Watched The Queen's Gambit and became motivated again (liked the movie, but hated how she slept with everyone. Not really a feminist type of movie)....but decided to learn (again) Chinese chess also known as Xiangqi, which is quite similar, but played on a 9x10 board instead with slightly different pieces played on the intersections instead. I bought 2 new boards and pieces and been watching YouTube videos on it as well as international Chess. Learning a lot.

Maybe we can have a MacNN team somewhere and play each other.

Forum Links
Forum Rules