Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mac OS X Over the Years

Mac OS X Over the Years (Page 2)
AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 14, 2009, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post
But I usually question the intelligence of people who make mistakes like this; especially if they continue to make mistakes like this after someone explains why, logically, they are in error.
What makes the X a roman numeral as opposed to the letter X? Why wasn't "OS 9" "OS IX"?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2009, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by webraider View Post
Actually OS 9 handled multiple users (not as well as OS X, but it was a start) but it also handled multiple applications running as well. Yet the simplicity remained. What makes it simple is the old apple philosophy, you don't have to see what you don't really need. For example, Why look at an icon of the CD drive when there is no CD in it. It will appear when you need it (ie... when you put it in) and will disappear when you eject it, unlike Windows. The icon represents the volume and not the drive which to me is more intuitive. But to me, OS X could organize Multiple users much better. Whey do I need to see a "users" folder, then a home folder next to everyone else's? I should see just a folder with my name (should be customizable) with only my stuff in it at the root level, not three levels deep. There could be a special mode that you log in as to see all the folders or just manage the accounts, but it could be much more intuitive.

All this to say Just because OS X does more things, is no excuse. It could be.. Simpler.
You don't have to drill three levels down. Just click on your home folder in the Finder sidebar. Or choose it from the Go menu. Or type ⇧⌘H. Or choose New Finder Window from the File menu. Or type ⌘N. Or click the Finder icon in the Dock. There are plenty of ways to avoid going through the file system to get to your home folder. Do we really need an obfuscated view of the file system à la Windows? That would drive me nuts.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2009, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by webraider View Post
Actually OS 9 handled multiple users (not as well as OS X, but it was a start) but it also handled multiple applications running as well. Yet the simplicity remained. What makes it simple is the old apple philosophy, you don't have to see what you don't really need.
i'm sorry but that's hogwash.

OS 9 had NOTHING of the simplicity characterized by the one man - one machine - one application idea that shaped the original Macintosh.

That did NOT support multiple users. Multiple users didn't show up until ten years later, and it was a crude hack that depended on crap littering your system folder.

Heck, even MultiFinder was a hack. And it was such a bad one that right up until the final days of OS 9, you had to watch out which applications you might have running concurrently, and, e.g., make sure that Internet Exploder was the very last app you opened (and, in fact, it usually was...)

OS X marked the return of the original Mac ethic - simplification - that had become completely lost in the hodge-podge of bolted-on functionality "enhancements" and compatibility fixes that made troubleshooting extensions such fun.

phoenix78
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2009, 06:47 AM

*sigh* i still have my 'LC 575'. It came with System 7.1 then a friend of mine a little while later bought a more recent mac and gave me his System 7.5 disc. I also upgraded my ram to a whopping 12Mb!!! I played games such as Doom and Prince of Persia 1&2 and the Myst series, crystal caliburn, FA-18 hornet. I also bought a 56kbps modem and played doom over the phoneline with my mates. Life was good !

My box still works. I fired her up earlier this year and played Pop2 again. I had to wobble the harddrive a little and push it in again to get it booting properly. :-)

Those were the days...

I was impressed by Claris Works. You could make several pie charts in a spreadsheet copy them to the 'word processor', and then you could adjust the pie chart values in teh spreadsheet would update images in the word proc. I thought it was cool at the time...

Then i went to windows for the longest time. Bought a mac book pro when tiger came out. I was lucky to miss all the awful earlier OSX interface designs lol.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2009, 10:19 PM

I remember the Public Beta. Running it on a first gen iBook was painful. I could often type faster than the computer could register the keystrokes.

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2009, 02:00 AM

I remember the old pre-OS X systems. Nostalgia aside now that we've got the polish to it, OS X wins hands down.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2009, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by TailsToo View Post
I remember the Public Beta. Running it on a first gen iBook was painful. I could often type faster than the computer could register the keystrokes.
Install Office 2008.

Instant flashback!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2009, 02:38 AM

It would still be nice to have a Finder with separate spatial and browser modes (of course the classic OS did not have a Finder browser mode).

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2009, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
It would still be nice to have a Finder with separate spatial and browser modes (of course the classic OS did not have a Finder browser mode).
Won't the pill button in SL's Finder give you a spatial Finder?

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2009, 04:06 AM

It's not a true spatial mode. WIndow positions, bgs, arrangement/layout options don't stick like they should.

LEStudios
Banned
Aug 19, 2009, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
Panther has the best box hands down. 'Course its enhanced by following the worst box of all time, Jaguar.

You mean this one?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2009, 09:42 PM

So cuddly!

Designed by Pixar if I recall correctly. Using the fur they developed for Monsters, Inc.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules