Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Where do you buy your MacBook Pro?

Where do you buy your MacBook Pro?
Veltliner
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2009, 12:33 PM

I noticed that Amazon and Macconnection don't have the most recent MacBook Pros, but those one generation back.

If you go to these stores, you see a 2.53 Ghz. 13" MBP for 1450.00$, obviously the older, higher end version.

Apple sells it for 1200.00.

Plus tax, of course.

So you either buy an older MBP without tax, or the most recent MBP an pay tax.

Or do you see any other options?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2009, 01:11 PM

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2009, 01:21 PM

I just bought one at the Apple Store.

The free iPod Touch promotion in conjunction with the Edu Discount made it a great deal, despite the sales tax.

-t
( Last edited by turtle777; Sep 8, 2009 at 01:39 PM. )

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2009, 01:31 PM

I'm no longer a student.

Just found out I got mixed up with the MBP 13" models. There are so many of them that came out at different times...

This is the most recent, and it's sold by Amazon. It's the 2.26 Ghz processor (not the 2.53 ghz).

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-...2430662&sr=8-1

There are quite a few unibody 13" mbp of the last generation, but I don't think it's a good idea to save 150$ to buy an older version, and even if it's only one generation back.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2009, 01:44 PM

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2009, 01:44 PM

In that case, I'd take a look at MacMall.com.

You get Parallels for free (instant rebate and MIR) or VMWare Fusion for $20 (after MIR).
You get Roxio Toast 9 Basic for free (after MIR).

You can also buy Windows pre-installed on Bootcamp, Parallels or Fusion, and get Windows at a cheap OEM price.

-t

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2009, 02:21 PM

Actually, MacMall is in California (same as me) = sales tax.

But Amazon doesn't charge sales tax.

How well do they package a laptop?

Still thinking about Applecare.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2009, 02:27 PM

Downside with amazon.com: they don't have any build-to-order options.

The standard 160gb drive is too smallish for me.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2009, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
Still thinking about Applecare.
Check with your credit card company.

Many of them double the mfg. warranty. That'll cover your for two years.
Paying Apple Care just for that 3rd year of coverage is a lot of money.

Plus, when using a CC, you shouldn't have to worry too much about shipping. If it gets lost or damaged, file a claim with your CC company.

-t

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2009, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Check with your credit card company.

Many of them double the mfg. warranty. That'll cover your for two years.
Paying Apple Care just for that 3rd year of coverage is a lot of money.

Plus, when using a CC, you shouldn't have to worry too much about shipping. If it gets lost or damaged, file a claim with your CC company.

-t
I have done the CC card thing for my desktops, and was just considering it for the laptop. It's really overblown in price, especially as a laptop's value in the third year has already quite decreased.

Regarding shipping, I was less worried about immediate failure than weakening of parts like the logic board through blows when the package is being dropped. Not sure if that can be an issue in year 3, day 1.

Regarding MacMall: they have a rebate, that's pretty much exactly what the tax is. So, instead of shipping I could go to the MacMall store and buy it over the counter. But this is only good for the 160 Gb hard drive option, as the rebate is only 40% of the tax for the 250 Gb hard drive.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2009, 07:57 PM

Regarding shipping, I was less worried about immediate failure than weakening of parts like the logic board through blows when the package is being dropped. Not sure if that can be an issue in year 3, day 1.
I wouldn't be worried about that.

Apple ships the laptops worldwide, from its manufacturing sites in China.
Regular handling (incl. drops) are ok, the packaging can take that.

-t

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2009, 10:36 PM

I've used my Amex Blue for my Mac purchases for the last 10 years - they are top notch when it comes to warranty problems in the 2nd year (I never had a Mac break, but an AC Adapter and a Battery - both times Amex just said buy a replacement and we'll take it off of the bill - quick and easy!)

My Macs -

PowerBook G4 1Ghz - bought at CompUSA when I worked there and got it at cost. I also made the purchase in Delaware - no sales tax!

PowerBook G4 1.67GHz - I bought it online from Apple directly because I wanted a custom config. 8.25% sales tax in Dallas too - Argh!

MacBook Pro 15" 2.33GHz - I got it for the Student Discount price at the Apple Store in Delaware.

MacBook Pro 17" 2.8GHz - I just bought this last week from Apple as a refurb unit - it's $400 off new price, and it really is just as perfect as a new one. I ordered it Thursday at about 2pm, and it was at my door the next day at noon (standard shipping too!)

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2009, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by TailsToo View Post
I've used my Amex Blue for my Mac purchases for the last 10 years - they are top notch when it comes to warranty problems in the 2nd year (I never had a Mac break, but an AC Adapter and a Battery - both times Amex just said buy a replacement and we'll take it off of the bill - quick and easy!)

My Macs -

PowerBook G4 1Ghz - bought at CompUSA when I worked there and got it at cost. I also made the purchase in Delaware - no sales tax!

PowerBook G4 1.67GHz - I bought it online from Apple directly because I wanted a custom config. 8.25% sales tax in Dallas too - Argh!

MacBook Pro 15" 2.33GHz - I got it for the Student Discount price at the Apple Store in Delaware.

MacBook Pro 17" 2.8GHz - I just bought this last week from Apple as a refurb unit - it's $400 off new price, and it really is just as perfect as a new one. I ordered it Thursday at about 2pm, and it was at my door the next day at noon (standard shipping too!)
I also used the Amex Blue so far. But, like all credit card, the APR is going up, up, up, from 6,99% 8 months ago to 15,5% in November.

Looks like I'm going to buy from Apple, too. Either a customized MBP, or this refurb unit: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB...mco=Nzk2MTU0Mw

Only thing is: 160 Gb is a small HD. My iTunes files are in original AIFF format, which gives me a large library. So I might shell out for a 320Gb HD.
( Last edited by Veltliner; Sep 8, 2009 at 11:32 PM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2009, 11:51 PM

I also used the Amex Blue so far. But, like all credit card, the APR is going up, up, up, from 6,99% 8 months ago to 15,5% in November.
I use my Amex only for the purchase protection and extended warranty. I don't keep a balance, everything gets paid off at the month end.

-t

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2009, 01:04 AM

I use my Amex only for the purchase protection and extended warranty. I don't keep a balance, everything gets paid off at the month end.

-t
Best thing you can do.

I have a low balance and want to pay it off until the high APR kicks in.

This is why I'm a bit hesitant at the moment to use it.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2009, 03:32 AM

I do that with all my CCs and for all my purchases. Everything else is IMHO just way too expensive. If I need an actual loan I can get that much cheaper elsewhere.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2009, 03:41 AM

Looks like I'm going to buy from Apple, too. Either a customized MBP, or this refurb unit: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB...mco=Nzk2MTU0Mw

Only thing is: 160 Gb is a small HD. My iTunes files are in original AIFF format, which gives me a large library. So I might shell out for a 320Gb HD.
Don't worry about the disk. You can buy excellent HDDs at very low prices from third parties and install them yourself. It's really a cinch. You'll be done in five minutes.

cheap 320GB, $60
fast 320GB, $80
fast, high-capacity, awesome 500GB / 7200 rpm, $120

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2009, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Don't worry about the disk. You can buy excellent HDDs at very low prices from third parties and install them yourself. It's really a cinch. You'll be done in five minutes.

cheap 320GB, $60
fast 320GB, $80
fast, high-capacity, awesome 500GB / 7200 rpm, $120
Great news, Simon. Especially the 500 gb looks very nice.

Now I have to establish if I buy now, or... well, I saw on mduell's update ticker that the Macbook Pro is due for an update in Q4 this year.

God, this 13" MBP is really, really nice. This aluminum unibody gives is such a solid feel. What a sexy piece of craftsmanship. Great size to carry it everywhere.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2009, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I do that with all my CCs and for all my purchases. Everything else is IMHO just way too expensive. If I need an actual loan I can get that much cheaper elsewhere.
Until now I had a 6.99% APR on my Amex Blue. Would have been hard to find such a loan.

But now it's pay-off time.

By the way: everybody who thinks of financing a mac should be very careful about the financing options on the Apple website. The 0% option is good for 12 months. By then you have to pay it off, or a 20 % APR (!) kicks in. Starting with the purchase date. This means you'd immediately owe 20% on the still outstanding balance.

Sometimes you just have to finance something for business purposes. Until now, if you had excellent credit, you got good rates. Credit Cards have become much less attractive recently.
( Last edited by Veltliner; Sep 9, 2009 at 04:10 AM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2009, 04:13 AM

Great news, Simon. Especially the 500 gb looks very nice.
It's not cheap but it's an excellent drive. Fast, cool, and quiet. Actually, it's the fastest non-solid state drive you can put in a MBP. Many happy owners (including some on this board).

Now I have to establish if I buy now, or... well, I saw on mduell's update ticker that the Macbook Pro is due for an update in Q4 this year.
That's just his guess. There are no definite rumors pointing in either direction right now. The MBP has been updated on a roughly 8 month cycle since 2006. If you buy right now, it's a good time since it's only been three months since the refresh. However, if you wait now you should probably wait until after the next refresh. If you're lucky that's Q4, but for all we know it could also end up being MWSF in Jan 2010 or even as late as Feb/Mar 2010. If you don't need the MBP any earlier that's fine. If you need it now though, you should get it now.
( Last edited by Simon; Sep 9, 2009 at 04:28 AM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2009, 04:22 AM

Another thought, consider what you're waiting for. If you're getting a 13" MBP then do not expect any significant CPU changes. The Intel updates in Q4 will affect the iMac and possibly the highest end MBPs, but the 13" MBP definitely won't be getting Clarksfield (mobile Core i7) that's for sure. BR's very debatable. In all likelihood it's too early for USB3 too since consumer controllers won't be arriving till late 2Q10. Prices have already been lowered and will probably stay where they are now. I'd expect the next 13" MBP to be a spec bump, but I don't anticipate significant architectural changes.

amazing
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2009, 12:22 PM

Here's a highly speculative article--wish I could tell which "Macworld Staff Member" wrote it:

Does refurbished MacBook glut point to imminent refresh? - Mac - Macworld UK

Rather than pointing at an immanent refresh, I think it points at the huge problem with the firmware update and subsequent beachballing.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2009, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
Here's a highly speculative article--wish I could tell which "Macworld Staff Member" wrote it:

Does refurbished MacBook glut point to imminent refresh? - Mac - Macworld UK

Rather than pointing at an immanent refresh, I think it points at the huge problem with the firmware update and subsequent beachballing.
This could also mean if you are buying a refurbished MBP you're actually getting a brand new one.

A refurbished unit of the book I want costs 1104$, incl tax and recycling fee (so funny to pay already for the boot of something you haven't even worked with yet).

Polo2883
Sep 11, 2009, 07:52 AM

I would say Best Buy with the 10% or 12% off coupons. Highest discount a regular Joe will see unless you are a student or want to get a refurb

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2009, 10:28 PM

I decided to delay the purchase of a MBP.

First, an upgrade is just around the corner.

Second, the current financing options don't make financing a good deal. Reverting to classic strategies: have money first, buy MBP later. Now how surprising is that!

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2009, 10:51 PM

To answer the OP, i bought mine in the 5th avenue Apple Store here in Manhattan.
MPB 2.8GHz, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD
2TB Raid 1 setup, Wacom 12x19, 24" ACD, Bose SS
FCS 2, Shake, Adobe CS4, Lightroom > Aperture

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2009, 04:56 AM

I bought my uMBP 2.4 4GB 500GB SD from craigslist for $1200 back in Aug.
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

davidflas
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2009, 08:32 AM

I bought the MBP in my sig direction from Apple because I wanted the faster CPU.
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

Forum Links
Forum Rules