Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > New iPod update still doesn't fix battery

New iPod update still doesn't fix battery
SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2003, 03:25 AM

My battery is still pretty finicky...It goes from full to 2 bars then just to off. Its pretty weird. I also don't get ANYWHERE near 5 hours of playback. I unplug it, take it to class for the day (walk to class walk back, maybe a grand total of 45 minute use) come back to the dorm, and if i leave it on the desk and DON'T rechard it will usually die the next day.

I thought 1.2.6 was suppose to fix this? because it doesn't for me, anyone else? anyone have a solution?

dav
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2003, 08:34 AM

Originally posted by solidage:
My battery is still pretty finicky...It goes from full to 2 bars then just to off. Its pretty weird. I also don't get ANYWHERE near 5 hours of playback. I unplug it, take it to class for the day (walk to class walk back, maybe a grand total of 45 minute use) come back to the dorm, and if i leave it on the desk and DON'T rechard it will usually die the next day.

I thought 1.2.6 was suppose to fix this? because it doesn't for me, anyone else? anyone have a solution?
if you're out of the warranty period, you might want to try some of these suggestions:
ipod battery issues
one post closer to five stars

leongwt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2003, 08:16 AM

i had problems with my iPod's battery life as well. i believe this is a very common problem because when i send it in for repair, they didn't even question my claims that it cannot last more than 3 hours. i think there must be some bug in the software that is causing some form of damage to the battery, that's why they have came out with an update that specifically addresses the battery issue.

anyway, what i did was log the problem on the website. Apple sent soembody to pick up the iPod from me. after about 1 week, they sent me a new iPod. mine was still under warranty, so no problems.

my new iPod did not have any problem with battery life, and the new software update works for it. it now last more than 10hours on continuous playback.

regards

ryju
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2003, 10:48 AM

according to apple it only applies to the 5gb models.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2003, 06:35 PM

ya know, I've never done exact timing, but I don't think I've ever gotten more than 6-8 hours outta my ipod.

it just doesn't seem like 10 hours, usually I'll listen to music for ann hour or two, come home, and find that I'm at 2 bars, then later, listen for another 3 hours and the battery's low.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2003, 07:35 PM

The 1.2.6 update totally fixed the battery issue on my 5 GB iPod.
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules