Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How's the BATTERY LIFE on the new 1.5Ghz 15" PBs ???

How's the BATTERY LIFE on the new 1.5Ghz 15" PBs ???
Ryan1524
Senior User
May 30, 2004, 06:54 PM

i've been waiting to get a PB for univ this fall, and the latest 15" PB seems to be my top choice. the screen seems to be good now (no spots, no uneven illuminations), and any bugs should be gone by now. at least i hope so.

now just one question i need answered remaining. how's the battery life? the last al 15" seems to do quite badly at 2-2.5 hours max according to many users. i know the new battery is larger, but does the new specs offset it?

if you own the new 15" PB, especially the Superdrive model with 128MB VRAM and 5400RPM HDD, please sound off and tell me how your battery does in your day to day apps.

thx very much.

as a side note, you think this PB will be a good choice for Electrical and Biomedical Engineering?

afaik, the only problem i might encounter is with a 3D CAD program called Solid Edge that's only used in ONE class in the first year. it seems a shame to forego a PB just because of one measly course. i can always use the school labs for that. what do you think? i've been looking forward to switching for a while now.
Ryan

SnakeEyes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2004, 11:11 PM

two hours tops for a maxed out 1.5 gig 15"....highest performance settings

James L
Mac Elite
May 31, 2004, 02:25 AM

Yup, run your machine (1.5, 128MB VRAM, 5400rpm HD) on the highest setting and it dies in about 2 hours.

Dim the screen a bit, turn off the bluetooth and airport, set CPU to lowest speed, etc and I have had 3 hours, maybe a bit more.

Cheers,

james

markclausing
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2004, 05:41 AM

correct. I get between 2 to 2:40 I believe.
http://www.prinshendrikkade.com
MacBook Pro 2Ghz 2Gb 100Gb 256Mb

riotge@r
Forum Regular
May 31, 2004, 05:58 PM

Mine lasts about 2 hours as well.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

Blue Flame
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2004, 06:11 PM

for what it's worth, I tested out my 17" 1.5 PB today in class:

on "longest battery" with BT and wireless off, and i had it running for 3 hours for my class (8-11am). At the end of class i still had 48% battery left. This is with 1GB DDR and 5400rpm drive.

Taloston Man
Forum Regular
May 31, 2004, 06:24 PM

Did it ever go to sleep, and how often / for how long did the display turn off entirely?
Trevor Haldenby
www.ExposedBrain.com/trevor
MacBook 2.0 GHz / 2 gigs RAM | 60GB vidiPod, Shuffle

Blue Flame
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2004, 08:09 PM

it went to sleep completely twice for about 30 seconds by accident, other than that, the screen dims after 1 minute and goes to sleep after 5

Forum Links
Forum Rules