Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Canon Powershot or Pentax Optio?

Canon Powershot or Pentax Optio?
urban
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2004, 05:37 PM

3.2MP: Canon SD100 or Pentax Optio S?
4.0MP: Canon S400 or Pentax Optio S4?

I can choose only one camera. 3.2MP is good enough for me, but I can afford a 4.0MP. I am no photographer. I take photos just for fun.

Which one would you recommend me to get? As you've probably noticed, I want a compact camera. Thanks.
Powerbook 12" 1GHZ, 1.25GB of RAM
My blog

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2004, 05:39 PM

these are all good cameras. i did a lot of research (and also posted for advice here at macnn), and got an sd110 (the newer version of the sd100).

which one makes you happiest? i liked the form factor & features of the canon. and 3.2 megapixels is fine...

but go hold each one, see how they feel. any of your choices should do you well...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Josh Reid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 7, 2004, 11:25 AM

I did a bit of research before upgrading from a 2.1 megapixel (i think, can't honestly remember)Kodak DC290. I ended up going with the new Canon Powershot S410. It's the latest revision and can be found with a street price around $360. I've been very happy with it, as well as the new Canon i960 photo printer I bought to go along with it.

-Josh

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2004, 11:59 AM

I got my Canon outside the US so it goes by iXus rather than PowerShot but the 3.2 is a very good camera. Durable, very good battery, photo quality is good, works with Macs perfectly and it's very small. When on holiday, I just tuck it on my belt loop and head out.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

memento
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2004, 11:32 AM

I've had 3 digital cameras so far. Currently a Canon Digital Rebel Researched all brands each time. Ended up with Canon for all 3. I have no brand loyalty - they've just been the best for me.

My favorite aspect of them is their awesome battery. Really great.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

milkmanchris
Forum Regular
Jul 14, 2004, 06:20 AM

Earning my living from photography, i recently bought the wife a compact for her to keep in her bag.

Take a look at the powershot S50, now discontinued but available in the states i believe for around $300 (picked one up here in the Uk for �230).

5MP and a great tool.

Chris

12" 1.33 G4 PB 80GB 768MB .....20GB iPod

Nawus
Forum Regular
Jul 15, 2004, 12:19 AM

If you really want to go compact, take a look at the Sony DSC-T1. Its a true 5mp pocketable camera. I recently upgraded from a Canon S400 and can't believe what this little wonder can do!

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2004, 02:31 AM

I personally have a canon S230 (3.2mp digital Elph). I really like (read: am in love with) the elph design. It's so sexy and will match my new powerbook to boot! They also have the 4 and 5 mp versions out now S400 and S500 I believe. The sony camera mentioned above also looks very nice; however, I'm guessing that it uses the sony memory stick, which I hate with a passion. I don't really have any brand loyality; however, I find myself ending up with more and more quality canon products! I'm hoping to buy a DSLR next year, and the digital rebel and 10D look like they will be the ones (probably will choose the rebel esp if they come out with a new revision of it by then - awesome price!).
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2004, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by Nawus:
If you really want to go compact, take a look at the Sony DSC-T1. Its a true 5mp pocketable camera. I recently upgraded from a Canon S400 and can't believe what this little wonder can do!
I have one of these and an Optio S4 for my girlfriend. Pentax kills the Sony! Unfortunately, because I'm stuck with the Sony and the Sony was almost double the price. Only problem with the Pentax is the little buttons on the back. Otherwise, I'd have no trouble recommending it.

bobannikolic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2004, 05:54 PM

I got a Canon SD100 and I think its a great camera, if your a guy with bigger hands its about as small as you want to go (the pentax was just a little too tiny for me). Nice pictures, feels strudy, rechargable batter, not bad lag at all between pics, etc. I know I got mine on clearance for $360 canadian, so I got a pretty good deal on it.
CCCC- Serbs should know what that means

Forum Links
Forum Rules