Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Making Gadgets

Making Gadgets
spauldingg
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 3, 2004, 04:03 PM

Making gadgets for Dashboard is supposed to be relatively simple, just using what web developers already know: html, CSS, javascript, etc...

I would like to make some, but really need a "recipe" for anything beyond what I can do in golive...
I have already designed this one in photoshop, and will have no problem with making it html to the point that buttons will rollover and such, but connecting it to the Websites is beyond me right now, and turning it into a .gadget file is a total unknown, especially without the Tiger dev release.

I have other ideas for gadgets, and am thinking of organizing a Mac gadgeteers club of sorts, if anyone is interested. Sure would be nice if thousands of gadgets were available as soon as Tiger is out.

Any thoughts?
“The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.” -- William Hazlitt

a holck
Senior User
Jul 3, 2004, 05:41 PM

Well, considering that the DVD containing the documentation on dashboard gagets is under NDA, it's quite hard to do a website describing how to create them.
Apple needs to publish the docs in the public before we can share it.

spauldingg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 3, 2004, 10:02 PM

I have no intention of breaking any NDAs, Just thought it might be nice to have a warehouse of ideas and designs ready. Plus anyone under NDAs could start working on the code and not release it until allowed. Meanwhile we get a ton of somewhat kinda open source gadgets right out of the gate.
“The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.” -- William Hazlitt

zachs
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2004, 10:05 PM

You would probably need to know JavaScript to connect to the websites and grab images or whatever. I made my own gadget that displays the number of songs sold on the iTunes Music Store -- but I just copied the JavaScript from Apple's website. Do a Google on JavaScript tutorials, there are plenty of them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules