Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > camera for ipod photo

camera for ipod photo
iBabo
Senior User
Oct 27, 2004, 08:13 PM

am i the only one that feels like the ipod photo would be a billion times more practical if it had a camera on it? (nothin too fancy.. 2-3 mega pixels would be good)
smile like you mean it.

michaelb
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 12:20 AM

The iPod's chip doesn't have the smarts to drive a camera, so it would have to be a standalone camera that simply used the iPod for storage and playback.

A better alternative might be some sort of "bridge" that could let a regular digital camera talk to the iPod.

The Belkin Media Reader is a start, but it seems to me to be clunky, expensive and only works with USB 1.1 making it s-l-o-w for a lot of images.

I have a SanDisk FireWire reader which I use with my iBook (which doesn't have a PC-Card slot like a PowerBook) to read images from flash cards. It's small, neat and fast. It would be great if I could just plug it into an iPod. Sadly I can't.

It's surprising Belkin or another manufacturer hasn't perceived a market here for the iPod and are instead leaving it to the Nikon Coolwalker to provide a good portable HD storage option.

action
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2004, 03:54 AM

when the isight came out i immediately thought of the ipod.

attach the isight to your ipod and you have still camera.

click on video mode and it can take video.

with the new codecs and compressions storage is no longer an issue.

camera phones can do it both with crappy hardware limited space

and a tiny battery so the convergence of the isight and ipod

would be a no brainer.

it would also have a mic.

you can have the isight rotate so it can rest like an itrip.

this would boost the sales of ipod photo's/video as well make the isight the

next must hardware excessories. all the pieces are already in place and

would not be surprised if this was already apple's plan when they introed the sight.

it seemed odd to me that they came out with the isight just for video conferencing when there were plenty of options on the market already.

this convergence would make the r&d expense spent on the isight make more sense.

chung lee

xenu
Senior User
Oct 28, 2004, 04:08 AM

I wouldn't buy one.

I would buy an iPod that could connect directly to a real camera, or read a memory card.

Maybe next year.
Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion - Steven Weinberg.

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by michaelb:
[...]A better alternative might be some sort of "bridge" that could let a regular digital camera talk to the iPod.[...]
My God! It's only been out for months. I have one, and it works well. Works with the iPod Photo too.

fishguy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2004, 01:19 AM

Sure its been out for months and noone knows about iy. Why? What is the purpose in having an iPod for portability and then you have to drag along another iPod sized device to simply plug in to a camera? Why the hell can't Apple let us plug a camera directly into an iPod? Put a USB and Firewire plug on the damn thing and be done with it!

Forum Links
Forum Rules