Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is my built in ethernet card gone?

Is my built in ethernet card gone?
urban
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2004, 11:22 PM

I can't connect to the internet using the built in ethernet port. I restarted and tried again but it still wouldn't connect. I tried using another cable but it failed to connect to the internet also. however, my airport card is working properly so that means my ISP is working properly. Also I know the cables work because I have another computer and it gets connected via those cables as well. When I open Internet Connect it says my built in ethernet is idle when i click connect it would say connecting but never connect.

I went into System Preferences and checked network. Although the cable was plugged in, it showed the cable wasn't plugged in

So I guess it is the ethernet card having a problem...

If it's not dead, how do i revive it?

Thanks a million.
( Last edited by urban; Nov 1, 2004 at 11:33 PM. )
Powerbook 12" 1GHZ, 1.25GB of RAM
My blog

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 11:55 PM

It may be a problem with your router/switch. Using a safety pin or paperclip, punch the reset button on your router (with it turned on of course).

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Nov 2, 2004, 01:08 PM

well, i had this problem, but it was actually the ethernet cable. what happened was the little slots (you know the slots of plastic on the head that separates the metal pins) was bent over, which bent the pins inside my computer. i had to take a pin and fix it by pulling it up again.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

urban  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2004, 10:33 PM

Im pretty sure my ethernet card is busted

how much would it cost me to replace it? my pb is one month past apple's warranty and i didnt get AppleCare.
My blog

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2004, 11:04 PM

i've seen this before...
had a friend who could not connect thru his ethernet port (we even tried another cable).

hooked him up to an airport express, and he was in.

not sure what the problem was, but i'd not be so fast to assume your ethernet is fried...

anyone else??
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

anamexis
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2004, 12:02 AM

urban -- if it is, in fact, a hardware problem, however, it's going to cost you. The ethernet card is part of the logic board, so you would need to get the entire logic board replace, which i believe is in the $700 range. You would be better off getting an ethernet PCMCIA card.

However, all this assume that your hardware is in fact broken, and it could very well be a different problem.

urban  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2004, 01:05 AM

thanx anamexis, i will bring my pb to service centre and have it checked out. I dont think i can afford to have it fix. And i have a 12" pb i dont have a PCMIA port damnit i regret not getting AppleCare now
My blog

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 02:09 AM

Originally posted by anamexis:
urban -- if it is, in fact, a hardware problem, however, it's going to cost you. The ethernet card is part of the logic board, so you would need to get the entire logic board replace, which i believe is in the $700 range. You would be better off getting an ethernet PCMCIA card.

However, all this assume that your hardware is in fact broken, and it could very well be a different problem.
i beleive its around 400 for the part if you have the balls to do it yourself.

Forum Links
Forum Rules