Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What will April iBooks be like?

What will April iBooks be like?
adamwsoccer
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2005, 08:32 PM

abc
( Last edited by adamwsoccer; May 10, 2006 at 08:13 AM. )

AppleNazi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2005, 12:16 AM

All of that would rule

discotronic
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2005, 12:28 AM

1. A different design would be nice but I doubt that will happen.
2. RAM should be at least 512MB on all Macs. I doubt a 60GB HD will be standard.
3. New GPU would be nice
4. Track pad is a possibility since I don't see it as being a "luxury/pro" item.

I don't really see the iBook line getting much in the way of upgrades. A small CPU bump is all I can see happening.

Hey, what do I know I don't work for Apple.

afireinside
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2005, 12:52 AM

It would be awesome if they droped G5 PBs and dual core G4 ibooks out of the middle of nowhere :O

...I can dream cant I?

yikes600
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2005, 01:01 AM

RAM will stay at 256MB. There's no way Apple's gonna ship the standard configuration iBook with more than the Power Mac G5.

far200
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2005, 01:18 AM

Well what I've seen so far from apple you might see a little increase in speed...maybe a small price drop and the new 8x dvd/cd burner but that will be all till late 05.

Now we don't know how far apple is with the G5 or dual G4 so there might be some hope for the end of 05 but I don't really see it this year.

let's hope ( and save ) for a new ibook.

T. Diddy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2005, 01:23 AM

we saw price cuts on the new powerbooks today, maybe we can expect the same for the ibooks. i'd say apple likes to maintain that price gap so one does not cannibalize the other in sales.
G5 Dual 2.0 | 23" Cinema HD | 12" PowerBook G4 1.33 superdrive | 12" iBook G3 900 | clamshell iBook 366 | iPod shuffle 1G

Homer S.
Feb 1, 2005, 02:46 AM

do u think apple will upgrade the video memory of the ibook soon?

MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2005, 02:56 AM

they probably won't. Would be nice though. Maybe they will offer it as a customization through the apple store. That is a posibility. I bet they will bump up the speed. Now that I think about it they may update the iBook GPU for the Tiger release. That seems very plausable. I think it makes sence any how. Maybe the 30 GB in the 12" will be updated to 40 GB. But I Don't see anything to great, or big being added. After all they have that moto phone to produce.
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2005, 03:01 AM

Originally posted by adamwsoccer:
- 32MB of video but with a better graphics card (for core image)
Yeah, that wouldn't help one bit. Even the Radeon 9200, which is slow to begin with, is being held back by the ridiculously tiny VRAM buffer it has. Moving it to 64 MB on the same video chip would be more beneficial than upgrading the chipset itself yet again without increasing VRAM. I'm not saying Apple will do this because Apple's decisions defy all reason and logic, but that is what makes sense.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

iluvmymactoo
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2005, 04:33 AM

We'll probably see

White 12' G4 iBooks
1.2GHz PowerPC G4
512K L2 cache @ 1.2GHz
12-inch TFT Display
1024x768 resolution
256MB DDR266 SDRAM
30GB Ultra ATA drive
Combo Drive (Super Drive will cost extra)
ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
32MB DDR video memory
AirPort Extreme built-in

OR

White G4 14" iBooks
1.33GHz PowerPC G4
512K L2 cache @ 1.33GHz
14-inch TFT Display
1024x768 resolution
256MB DDR266 SDRAM
60GB Ultra ATA drive
SuperDrive
ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
32MB DDR video memory
AirPort Extreme built-in
PowerBook 12" Combo 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 100GB HDD - Yep it's PPC! I'll wait for the 3rd generation MacTel when they're at their best :)

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2005, 08:35 AM

As nice as it would be to have the iBook come with the 64mb 5200 from the iMac/Powerbook 12", I really doubt it will happen as they have kept with the ATIi 9200 for the Mac mini.
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2005, 08:52 AM

Isn't there a rumour going around that all is not lost with the 9200 and Tiger? Supposedly Apple took the GPU requirements for CoreImage off their site. The 9200 still has programmable shaders, just not to the precision as a 5200 Ultra or other newer card. Apple could at least implement a half-decent version of CoreImage for the 9200, especially since Tiger is completely GPU driven.

I don't think the new iBook will get a new card anytime soon, but hopefully Apple will modify CoreImage so it's compatbile on OpenGL 1.4 class GPUs (9200, right?).

Ramza
Feb 1, 2005, 01:54 PM

I thought it didn't really matter because Tiger would just offload all the CoreImage crap the GPU couldn't perform to Altivec?
I WANT CHICKEN I WANT
LIVER MEOW MIX MEOW MIX
PLZ DELIVER

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2005, 09:36 AM

Man I'd kill for a new design. It's seriously getting long in the tooth. I'd love a newer, thinner, lighter design. Other than that I think a slight CPU bump would be appreciated, but they're pretty solid machines as-is... except for the damn case design. Talk about tired!
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

ww2junkie42
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2005, 10:11 PM

I don't think Apple will make the ibooks thinner/lighter. Right now the 12" ibook is 4.9lb, while the pb's are 4.6 lb. They are pretty close as is, and i think making it lighter would put it pretty close to the pb. we can always hope though .

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 2, 2005, 10:57 PM

I think the new machines introduced in April will be very much like the machines that Apple introduced in their last round; innovative, attractive, not quite what we wanted, more than we expected.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

far200
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2005, 10:59 PM

I've been reading up on cpu's and maybe there is something big coming soon. I don't have all the specs and release date yet but I've read that the is a new type of processor coming out. It's called a cell chip.

www.blachford.info/computer/cell/cell0.html

Looks like this will be the next best thing if it's up to specs with what I read.

For more info search cell chip......

Now for the ibook well depends on what happens with this cell chip but I think with tiger coming out you should see a update to the GPU and Memory for it. And maybe a boost to an 80 gig hard drive for the hi end..

but this is just speculation.......

So don't quote me on this..

but please read up on the cell chip.

ptolemy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2005, 06:24 AM

I think that the iBook will be on pair with the Mac mini.
The mini is supposed to be the most affordable mac ever, so Apple have probably put in the cheapest possible hardware that is comercially possible. Therefore the Mini could be considered more or less a lower bound for hardware configuration.

Hopefully, that will mean that the iBooks will get a 167MHz bus.

My guess for iBook 12":
CPU: 7447B, with 167MHz bus clocked at 1,33GHz
RAM: 256MB 333MHz
HD: 40GB 4200RPM
GPU: Probably no change, I don't know.
Everything else same as now.

Anyway, it's unrealistic to believe that the iBook is getting any other CPU than the 7447A/B.
( Last edited by ptolemy; Feb 4, 2005 at 06:30 AM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2005, 06:31 AM

Originally posted by ptolemy:
My guess for iBook 12":
CPU: 7447B, with 167MHz bus clocked at 1,33GHz
RAM: 256MB 333MHz
HD: 40GB 4200RPM
Everything else same as now.
That sounds quite reasonable. I'm wondering if Apple will, with the next iBook rev, go back to having the same CPU specs on the 12" and the 14". They have to be lower than the 1.5 GHz of the PowerBook, but they have to top the 1.2 GHz of the current line-up. Doesn't leave much room.
•

inprnt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2005, 09:35 AM

Is there any evidence that a new ibook will be out in april

ptolemy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2005, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by inprnt:
Is there any evidence that a new ibook will be out in april
It's very likely since new iBook models have been released regularly every sixth month for the last three years.

Take a look at this: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

icibaqu
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2005, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by ptolemy:
It's very likely since new iBook models have been released regularly every sixth month for the last three years.

Take a look at this: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
that's intersting. i wonder if apple's plan is to hold stuff until boston in july (what's that like 150-60 days away?) and then just SLAM everyone with masses of new stuff (logic being a bunch of people recently got mini's love them, love osx, etc.)

then you have TIGER shipping on:

new Emac (297 days, avg 179)
new PowerMac update (240, avg 176)
new Ipod (200, avg 167)
new Imac upgrade (157, avg 193)
a mac mini update since it's been 6 months

and steve jobs teling microsoft and PCs, in his special geeky way, to take it like a bitch.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 09:18 PM

I'm hoping to be able to get an iBook this next time around. I would really LOVE a good case re-design. A decent GPU update would be great, and a system bus and clock cycle bump would be nice. Otherwise, as long as the prices remain the same, or about the same, I don't really expect much more of the iBook.

If the supposed April update will only bring us some small speed bumps, so be it, but if we get a case redesign and/or a good GPU update, I will be very happy indeed!

sworthy
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2005, 02:13 AM

Originally posted by icibaqu:
new Emac (297 days, avg 179)
new PowerMac update (240, avg 176)
new Ipod (200, avg 167)
new Imac upgrade (157, avg 193)
a mac mini update since it's been 6 months
Though certainly a good source for information, the big problem with using the averages is that macrumors takes price drops and configuration changes (such as adding a 20" iMac, or adding a single 1.8 GHz PowerMac). The averages are lower than they should be because of this. Oh, and I really hope most of that stuff is updated before summer.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2005, 01:36 PM

I think Apple is going to delay the iBook bump and release the new iBooks and Powerbooks around the same time. iBooks get the PB specs now (minus the HD speeds, PCI slot and all the other stuff iBooks never get), pBooks get dual core (semi 64bit processing).
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2005, 06:29 PM

Let's keep hope and this thread alive. February will be over in a week, and in April new iBooks may come! Share your wish lists and expectations!

monkeybutler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2005, 06:39 PM

Is it pretty likely a new design will come out in april? As a whitey hater (the color, not the people) ive held off on switching to mac because i kept waiting for a color choice that never happened.

But friday i finally gave in and just gave ordered a 1.2ghz ibook. if a new design comes out then i think i'll seriously throw my 2 month old whitebook against a wall.

Anyway, i think if id make a guess on what it would look like id assume it would drop the "all white" look and go more white/silver matching the mac mini and the rest of the apple line.

okay. now to do some serious thinking on whether to refuse my ibook delivery or not...

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2005, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
I think Apple is going to delay the iBook bump and release the new iBooks and Powerbooks around the same time.
I doubt it. iBooks pose a constant threat to PowerBook sales. Releasing them at the same time runs the risk of the iBooks overshadowing the PowerBooks. I suspect we'll see an iBook update before we see one to the PowerBook. By the same note, I suspect we'll see a redesigned iBook before the G5 PowerBook.

MartiNZ
Senior User
Feb 21, 2005, 08:19 PM

Hmmm, the way I see it, now for the first time, the 12" PowerBook is likely to pose a threat to iBook sales - I say this as it is not much more expensive than the low-end 14" iBook, and a lot better than the 12" iBook.

But I think the usual update trend will continue, with the 12" going to 1.33 and the 14" going up to 1.5GHz. Then in line with my thoughts above, they will all have to go down in price somewhat.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2005, 01:47 AM

I also think that any significant improvements to the iBook will seriously cut into the appeal of a Powerbook.

Bump ANYTHING and you pretty mch have the 12" Powrbook.

I think it's time for Apple to completely revamp the notebook line.

iBooks starting at $999. Powerbook G5s starting at $1999 and at long last a true subnotebook to rival the Mini.

Having a 12" Powerbook and a 12" iBook is pretty lame. The 12" Powerbook is not $500 dollars better than the iBook. Not even close.

The 12" iBook is the best deal Apple has going right now.
( Last edited by ort888; Feb 22, 2005 at 02:32 AM. )

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2005, 12:12 AM

Upping the iBook's specs too much may threaten PowerBooks sales, but a form redesign will not! That's not what people are after when they go for a PowerBook. And a new design might catch potential users' interest and sway them to buy an iBook. We all know that Apple sells style as well.

Ah well, at least a few more Mhz, or a price drop, right? Hopefully more, though...

omar96
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2005, 10:46 AM

See, the iMac already has (and has had for quite a while) the GFFX5200Ultra 64MB, and I would hope that for Tiger that the iBook would get the same thing. That would hardly threaten the mobility 9700, and I wouldn't complain if CPU speeds weren't bumped. That would give the PB a full 333MHz speed advantage, a still-better VPU, a trackpad, and better expandability, and it would make hte iBook Tiger compatable

Then again, if that's what they were planning, they probably would have done the same thing with the mini, considering it's strapped with the same 9200 32MB
eMac 1.25GHz | 1.5GB PC2700 | 250GB Maxtor HDD | 8x LiteOn DVD+-RW

Sawtooth 1.5GHz | 1GB PC133 | 120GB Maxtor HDD | 40x CD-RW (external) | 16x DVD-ROM | Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB

jmagic
Feb 24, 2005, 04:36 PM

i have a 12" ibook and a 15" powerbook, and if i had to do it all over again, i think i woulda gone for a 12" powerbook and 15" powerbook.

even if the specs are close, the powerbook is smaller, lighter, feels more solid, and looks (subjective) better.

i think people are willing to pay a premium for this. ibook is a GREAT value, but the 12" powerbook is not an expensive laptop by any means, comparing it to wintel notebooks.
ibook 900 12.1" combo 640mb =)
powerbook 1.33 15" 768mb =P

im_noahselby
Senior User
Feb 24, 2005, 07:23 PM

I think the 12" iBooks are great! For their price and features, you get a lot for your money. Had bluetooth been a standard feature at the time I bought my PB, I likely would have chosen an iBook instead. However, I have no regrets. I love everything about my PowerBook.

On the other hand, I think the 14" iBook looks terribly clunky and cheap. I can't believe Apple can get away with it.

As for what the next line-up of iBooks will look like, I'm guessing they will look exactly as they do now. Apple has typically chosen to do small refinements here and there over the course of this line-up and I can't see them straying too far from this formula.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Kyros
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2005, 05:02 PM

My friend got an older model powerbook (12 inch, 1.33 gHz) a few days after they got upgraded for about 1200 dollars. That's really an awesome deal.

I'm getting a powerbook in the summer, I'll probably go for the low end 15 inch.

Vana Nisitor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2005, 04:49 AM

I want the iBook to be a no brainer. One size. If a 15 inch sharp resolution can be squeezed onto a 13 inch screen, do so. 512 RAM, 60G HD. The only choice, like iPod Minis: color.

Something like that...

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2005, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by Vana Nisitor:
I want the iBook to be a no brainer. One size. If a 15 inch sharp resolution can be squeezed onto a 13 inch screen, do so. 512 RAM, 60G HD. The only choice, like iPod Minis: color.

Something like that...
Why?

dannyillusion
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2005, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by afireinside:
It would be awesome if they droped G5 PBs and dual core G4 ibooks out of the middle of nowhere :O

...I can dream cant I?
NO!!!
DI

swichd
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2005, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by Vana Nisitor:

Something like that...
No way, I love the 12". If they upped the screen, hd, etc, the price would go over the $999.99 mark, which is important to some people. People buy for price, that's why those $399 dells are so popular. $999.99 is just shy of $1000, so people think they are getting a great deal ("I got my iBook for less than $1000!"). I personally think they should kill the 14". It looks stupid and offers no advantage over the 12".

Also, iPod mini's give you 2 hd sizes now: 4GiB and 6GiB.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]"Microsoft Products are Generally Bug Free"
-- Bill Gates[/FONT]

galarneau
Senior User
Feb 27, 2005, 08:24 PM

I'm hoping for:

1) a fast but cool running G4
2) a core-video capable video card
3) excellent battery life

I don't care about the ram or hard drive space. I can upgrade that myself later for much less than Apple will charge.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2005, 08:45 PM

No, I don't see why Apple should limit iBook choice. I don't think that would be good, at least for us the consumers. I do wish Apple offered a 12" iBook at the same clockrate as the 14", though. I don't see much sense to the 14", since it's screen runs at the same resolution of the 12". I prefer my notebook computer to be smaller, and lighter anyhow, particularly if I gain nothing in resolution (If I did, then I would consider the 14").

However, I see many people getting the 14". I guess they just like the bigger screen (even without the added resolution!) or maybe they don't know this, and some have suggested that the larger screen is better for older people with poorer eyesight. So, either way, if it's working, there's no reason for Apple to drop it from their lineup.

But, more color choices-- Yes!, faster clockrate-- Yes, Better GPU-- Yes! Different form factor-- Yes!

JEB
Feb 28, 2005, 01:52 AM

No refresh for a while, I'll wager . . .

You see, everyone, ideas of hardware upgrades aside, Apple will release Tiger on the current lines.

Perhaps a few optimization tweaks, as mentioned, like video for CoreImage.

Mac enthusiasts like myself, and you, aren't we all holding out for Tiger, before our next purchase? I am.
'Simplify. Simplify.' --Thoreau

Vana Nisitor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2005, 05:01 AM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
Why?
I think Apple likes to create the illusion of choice. If you look at their current laptop line, it's kinda all over the place. If those were G4 iBooks and G5 PowerBooks, maybe you'd have something. Otherwise, you've got Apple coyly making a DVD burner a big issue for $200 additional bucks.

Nonsense.

I believe the iBooks should be basic but good, meaning one choice fits all. I don't know why I'm saying this either, but it's just a feeling. Remember how their only used to be 1 PowerBook. You know, THE PowerBook. I think there only needs to be THE iBook. Different colors, sure, but one book with one decent READY TO GO spec.

PowerBooks, that's different. Different sizes, spec, whatever. JobBlow won't buy one of those anyway and that's why I think there should be a simple iBook choice ready to walk. Not this "It needs more RAM" crap. "Oh, you've got to get a bigger one for a bigger drive" baloney. "Oh, yes, to get a SuperDrive, you've to pay even more..."

Pahleeze...

stew
Senior User
Feb 28, 2005, 11:08 AM

I would love a widescreen iBook.

Stink different.

omar96
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2005, 12:55 PM

what's the deal with widescreen, anyway? I mean, aside from video editing (and obviously watching DVD's)...everyone has such a hardon for widescreens, and the 15" and 17" PB's have 'em...I don't get it. Personally, I'd prefer a taller screen since I work in Finale quite a bit and can never get a whole page on the screen at a time.
eMac 1.25GHz | 1.5GB PC2700 | 250GB Maxtor HDD | 8x LiteOn DVD+-RW

Sawtooth 1.5GHz | 1GB PC133 | 120GB Maxtor HDD | 40x CD-RW (external) | 16x DVD-ROM | Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB

QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 28, 2005, 01:40 PM

13" 1280x854 iBook would be nice. 1024x768 sinks.

Even better: same screen with dual core g4 on the 13" Powerbook.

I'd like FW800 on there too for my external drives.

MartiNZ
Senior User
Feb 28, 2005, 03:19 PM

Hmmm, the max. for the 15" PowerBooks is 1280*854 and for the 14" iBooks is 1024*768. There are 15" PC laptops with 1024*768 max. but there of course one has the option to increase!

Personally I've been thinking recently that the actual size of the resolution on the 14" iBooks might be best for one's eyes ... even if the machine itself is not so easy on them!

gizmo523
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2005, 04:39 PM

I recently got a dent in my new 15" powerbook and have decided that my next laptop is going to be a 12" iBook because they're sturdier. Don't get me wrong. I love my powerbook, but I take it everywhere with me and so it is prone to getting damaged. Because I carry my laptop with me I want it to be small and light (at least smaller than my Powerbook). But before I get it I want the it to have a core graphics compatible gpu and would like it to have better battery life (the 3 hours my powerbook gives me is not enough) and a superdrive option. Everything else I want I can add as options.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 06:04 PM

Cool. And welcome to the forums, gizmo523!

Forum Links
Forum Rules