Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Making OS X slimmer looking?

Making OS X slimmer looking?
stasomatic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2005, 05:39 PM

Hello, I am recent convert with a new Powerbook. I am used to much higher res on my Dell M60, it was 1680x1050, so OS X kind of looks "fat" for the lack of a better word on a 15" PB. Is there a way either through ShapeShifter or otherwise to trim down the aspects of the system, like the size of the menu fonts, the hight of the system menu bar, Finder windows? I am quite happy with the GUI look as is, but just want to be able to adjust the widget proportions some how.

Much thanks,

Stas

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2005, 07:35 PM

No, to all of your questions...

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2005, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by stasomatic:
Hello, I am recent convert with a new Powerbook. I am used to much higher res on my Dell M60, it was 1680x1050, so OS X kind of looks "fat" for the lack of a better word on a 15" PB. Is there a way either through ShapeShifter or otherwise to trim down the aspects of the system, like the size of the menu fonts, the hight of the system menu bar, Finder windows? I am quite happy with the GUI look as is, but just want to be able to adjust the widget proportions some how.

Much thanks,

Stas
Increase the resolution of your screen... it's the only way.
The Graphic Mac: Tips, tricks and commentary for design, Adobe and Mac OSX.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2005, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by MacDog:
Increase the resolution of your screen... it's the only way.
He's on a powerbook, so he can't do that. Also, it's the only way for now...

mugget
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 31, 2005, 02:26 AM

what are you guys talking about? "no" to everything?
of course you can change the font to a smaller size with Silk and TinkerTool.

as for making the Finder look a bit 'slimmer' - you may be able to find some themes that are a bit more 'minimalistic' so that they give the appearance of being slimmer.

using smaller icons sizes in the Finder and a smaller size font will help you to get the illusion of a slimmer system.

also, all the themes that are out use all of the space available for the resources. how about if a theme used a smaller area than ususal? so that it kept some areas transparent, thus resulting in a 'slim' theme? i know this is possible because there's a few themes out that have transparent areas on the windows. all that needs to be done is make a theme that has more transparent areas for less overall percieved window area.

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 31, 2005, 10:19 AM

I think reducing the shadows or removing it completely with WindowShade and GUIshade widgets would "skinny" the interface a bit. I don't know if Shadowkiller works with 10.3.8.

stasomatic  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2005, 10:19 AM

Thank you for suggesting TinkerTool and Silk, I will check them out!

slimmy
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2005, 11:00 AM

Not exactly an answer to your legitimate questions (the suggestion of using Silk and Tinkertool is a good one, as is researching themes - I use LCD Blue which looks "thinner" to me):

I have been hoping Apple would increase the resolution of its PB screens for years. I envy my PC friends their screens (the only thing I envy).

Slim

cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2005, 11:34 AM

i know this is off topic, but...you were using a screen resolution on your dell of 1680x1050. yet majority of windows based sites with desktop pictures, only have 800x600. why is that, by the way? most mac users i know, use 1024x768 or higher resolutions.

mugget
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 31, 2005, 07:31 PM

that's because the majority of Windows-based sites with desktop pictures just suck. :/

but are you talking about wallpapers or actaul Windows screenshots? i haven't seen a 800x600 screenshot in a long, long time. most people now use a minimum of 1280x1024. there was a poll on a site just this week that i saw, here's what it said:
What is your screen Resolution?

1600x1200 or Greater
16%

1280x1024
41%

1024x768
33%

800x600
3%

Less Than 800x600
0%

Other Resolution not listed.
6%

Votes: 3,140
okay, so there's a few that use 800x600 but by far the most common resolution is much higher than that now.

stasomatic  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2005, 12:21 AM

Originally posted by cruciarius:
i know this is off topic, but...you were using a screen resolution on your dell of 1680x1050. yet majority of windows based sites with desktop pictures, only have 800x600. why is that, by the way? most mac users i know, use 1024x768 or higher resolutions.
I am not sure what you mean, but I am a developer so with 1680x1050 I am able to have two windows side by side. It was a bit straining on a 15.4" screen, but pretty usable with a bit font size tweaking, etc.

Again, I am can live with 1280x800, but it seems that the widgets themselves could go on Atkins... that woulld increase usable screen real estate.

Stas

stasomatic  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2005, 12:59 AM

Originally posted by cruciarius:
I am not sure what you mean, but I am a developer so with 1680x1050 I am able to have two windows side by side. It was a bit straining on a 15.4" screen, but pretty usable with a bit font size tweaking, etc.

Again, I am can live with 1280x800, but it seems that the widgets themselves could go on Atkins... that woulld increase usable screen real estate.

Stas

ender2002
Senior User
Apr 1, 2005, 01:30 AM

Squint your eyes!

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2005, 10:28 AM

Unfortunately, no matter what size you make the fonts using Silk/TinkerTool... the menu bar will always be 22 pixels high... it's hard coded into the OS � at least for now anyway.
The Graphic Mac: Tips, tricks and commentary for design, Adobe and Mac OSX.

ArcticBear
Apr 1, 2005, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by stasomatic:
Raise your own theme. Don't feed it bread. Just bacon.

a holck
Senior User
Apr 4, 2005, 11:01 AM

Well, you could wait for Tiger and the upcoming scalable UI....

esXXI
Senior User
Apr 4, 2005, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by a holck:
Well, you could wait for Tiger and the upcoming scalable UI....
Tiger doesn't it system-wide..

smithz4096
Apr 4, 2005, 05:01 PM

I don't know if Shadowkiller works with 10.3.8.
works like a charm, but only kills the windowshadows. The textshadows on the desktop and the menubarshadows are still visible :-(

i would like to kill 'em all

Forum Links
Forum Rules