Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > What is "Core Video", "Core Image", Quartz, etc ?

What is "Core Video", "Core Image", Quartz, etc ?
spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2005, 01:48 PM

I have been reading about iBooks, and was wondering about what the above items are, and about the possible lack (or actual lack) of support for these items in the ibooks. Is this just a "Tiger" thing?

Thanks in advance for any clarification you may provide!!

Jeff

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2005, 02:01 PM

Yes, Core Image and Core Video are two new Tiger components, which you can read about here. Quartz is the underlying technology that powers the OS X interface.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

spiff72  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2005, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the link. That helps.

Is it safe to say that these things are app-related, or are they part of the actual OS visuals?

osxisfun
Apr 4, 2005, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by spiff72:
Thanks for the link. That helps.

Is it safe to say that these things are app-related, or are they part of the actual OS visuals?
both. but if you do not have a later model vid card these effects may not show or be done in software(slow).

the latest PB 15 and 17 will support them fine.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2005, 02:36 PM

Quartz is a core technology of the OS. Basically all drawing is done with Quartz (that's not completely true, but it's close enough). Core Image is provided by the OS, but generally it's up to an app to make use of it. Some apps integrated with the OS do use Core Image, such as Dashboard widgets flipping to reveal their preferences or rippling onto the desktop.

And unless I'm misreading, the 12" PB should support Core Image too.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2005, 02:37 PM

Quartz - The main 2-D drawing API in OSX. Currently (as of 10.3 Panther) only one part of this -the window compositing- takes any real advantage of your computer's graphics hardware, but this is thought to be changing for 10.4 Tiger.

CoreImage - A graphics-filter API coming in Tiger. This API will be hardware-acceleerated on machines with the appropriate cards, but will still run (albeit unaccelerated) on other machines. From what we've been able to gather, it is basically system-level set of Photoshop-like plugins.

CoreVideo - As for CoreImage, but applied to video instead of still images. This will probably still work (though unaccelerated) on machines with older graphics cards, just as CoreImage does, but the results are unlikely to be pretty.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 4, 2005, 02:39 PM

I look forward to the descriptions of Tiger's Quartz 2D Extreme.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2005, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
I look forward to the descriptions of Tiger's Quartz 2D Extreme.
Quartz 2D Extreme: Like Quartz, but fast rather than slow.
Chuck
___

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2005, 02:55 PM

If you get a new iBook you're not likely to be disappointed. That said if you can wait you might want to wait for the next wave of iBooks which are likely to have better hardware for this sort of thing, since Apple won't want to have current hardware not supporting basic features of the OS.

spiff72  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2005, 03:16 PM

Thanks...

That is the kind of info I was looking for. The iBook will be my wifes computer, and she is getting more antsy than I am. I was hoping to order once tiger comes out, and maybe after hearing this I might just go with my Powerbook for now, and then get the iBook after they are "refreshed"...

I don't think the stuff will matter, unless it slows down the OS in some way (outside of apps like Photoshop).

Jeff

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2005, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by Chuckit:
Quartz 2D Extreme: Like Quartz, but fast rather than slow.
OK, uh thanks?

Maybe I'll restate what I said:

I look forward to the descriptions of Tiger's Quartz 2D Extreme, in terms of the technical differences between it and Panther's Quartz Extreme, with references to hardware requirements/recommendations, and speed differences in multiple situations when there is a necessity for CPU fallback.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2005, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
I look forward to the descriptions of Tiger's Quartz 2D Extreme, in terms of the technical differences between it and Panther's Quartz Extreme, with references to hardware requirements/recommendations, and speed differences in multiple situations when there is a necessity for CPU fallback.
As I'm sure you know, Quartz 2D Extreme and Quartz Extreme are only tangentially related. They accomplish completely different things. So I'm not sure how a comparison would be really meaningful (except maybe the comparison of which one requires more heavy-duty hardware, as a cost analysis). Quartz 2D is the drawing engine, whereas Quartz Extreme baiscally accelerates the windowing engine.
Chuck
___

a holck
Senior User
Apr 4, 2005, 03:52 PM

Originally in 10.0 Quartz was a fancy word used in the apple marketing materials when referencing the new graphics capability in he new system.
Under the hood there was CoreGraphics and OpenGL doing the hard work.

- "Quartz 2D" is the PDF-based vector drawing system. Was renamed from "CoreGraphics"

- "Quartz Compositor" is the compositing engine. Controls all windows content and all compositing of layers.Was renamed from "CoreGraphics window server"

The "Extreme" tag is a marketing word for off-loading the gfx operations from the CPU to the GPU using OpenGL calls. So:

Quartz Extreme = Acclerated Quartz Compositor

Quartz Extreme 2D = Acclerated Quartz 2D
( Last edited by a holck; Apr 4, 2005 at 03:58 PM. )

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2005, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by Chuckit:
As I'm sure you know, Quartz 2D Extreme and Quartz Extreme are only tangentially related. They accomplish completely different things. So I'm not sure how a comparison would be really meaningful (except maybe the comparison of which one requires more heavy-duty hardware, as a cost analysis). Quartz 2D is the drawing engine, whereas Quartz Extreme baiscally accelerates the windowing engine.
Actually I was confused by the terminology. I thought the term Quartz 2D Extreme was all encompassing, and included the functionality of Quartz Extreme.

Now I understand that Quartz 2D Extreme is the replacement for Quartz 2D, but still feeds into a separate Quartz Extreme.

Quartz Extreme = Acclerated Quartz Compositor

Quartz Extreme 2D = Acclerated Quartz 2D
Thanks.

a holck
Senior User
Apr 4, 2005, 04:13 PM

Yes, Apples marketing department tried to make 10.3 more revolutionary by calling it Quartz extreme instead of Quartz Compositor Extreme. Truthfully Quartz 2D was a little bit faster but was still done on the CPU.

Forum Links
Forum Rules