Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Just got a Mac Classic - how to clean

Just got a Mac Classic - how to clean
Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2005, 03:12 PM

I just picked up a mac classic as a collectible. Sweet machine that brings back some memories.

My question is how best to clean the case. While I got a sweet deal on eBay ($35), and the condition is good. It is a little dirty. The case is a little yellowish. What would work the best to make this baby sparkle

Mike

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2005, 06:37 PM

There was actually a big discussion about this on the Compact Macs list that Low End Mac hosts a few months (maybe a year) ago. From what I remember, there was some special combination of cleaning supplies that really did the trick. The archives appear to only go back to November 29, 2004. I think I have some old discussions archived on my home computer (maybe, maybe). I'll check and post if I find anything. Otherwise subscribe to the list and ask someone. They're more than happy to help.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2005, 07:30 PM

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2005, 08:11 PM

Man, thanks that did the trick

sideus
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2005, 08:55 PM

Think that might work on my Super NES?

tr
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2005, 10:33 PM

don't know if anyone has ever tried this, but those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers work wonders on dirty plastic. my friend had some old pc and the beige case was really dingy; she told me her roommate used to smoke, so it yellowed the case a bit. just for kicks, i tried one of those magic erasers on the case, and with some rubbing, it removed the yellowing.

personally, i'd try this first before resorting to any chemicals.

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2005, 07:52 AM

Its funny you mentioned that, but I recall those worked on some platic. Yeah I'll give them a shot.

To set the record straight - those erasers are impregnated with chemicals. I don't think they are as caustic as some others but they are in there

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2005, 08:37 AM

I think the Magic erasers are similar to the Magic Sponge. Those these work wonderfully on iBooks, cleaning all the grime and oil off the hand rest area with a simple wipe. Inexpensive too.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

tr
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2005, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by Maflynn:
Its funny you mentioned that, but I recall those worked on some platic. Yeah I'll give them a shot.

To set the record straight - those erasers are impregnated with chemicals. I don't think they are as caustic as some others but they are in there
actually, no, those erasers have no chemicals whatsoever. the sponges are just made of melamine foam. it's the shape and size of the melamine foam fibers which helps lift out dirt.

check out this little faq from a brand similar to the mr. clean magic eraser sponges:

melamine foam faq

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2005, 06:54 PM

I don't think that you got a good deal. I got a classic for free and another for 12 bucks.

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2005, 07:01 AM

Originally posted by macaddict0001:
I don't think that you got a good deal. I got a classic for free and another for 12 bucks.
Well good for you, I disagree as I see how much they were going for in the first place.

If you don't have anyhting positive to add to my question about cleaning, please don't thread crap.

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2005, 07:02 AM

Originally posted by tr:
actually, no, those erasers have no chemicals whatsoever. the sponges are just made of melamine foam. it's the shape and size of the melamine foam fibers which helps lift out dirt.
Cool thanks, I did not know that. It cleaned so well I assumed they had to treat it somehow.

FWIW, while it did clean it up more, the eraser didn't remove the yellowish tint.

Mike

bgordon
Apr 13, 2005, 11:10 AM

Be careful not to rub too hard. In an effort to get sticker residue off an old Classic I picked up, I managed to create a "shine spot" in the case finish that now stands out.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2005, 06:55 PM

I swear by rubbing alcohol...

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2005, 07:26 AM

The sponge cleaned it nicely but not the yellowing. I've been too busy to try the others, but I'll give the rubbing alcohol a try and the clorox cleaner also.

Thanks for all of the suggestions

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 02:42 PM

I don't think the yellowing can be removed. The plastic is essentially stained and has physically changed colors due to exposure to UV or oher light waves. You can try bleaching it (full removal required). You may have to paint it.

I found that Fantastic or similar "kitchen" cleaners work great on those types of plastics.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Bandit240
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2005, 05:15 PM

Ive used KEL All Purpose Spary Cleaner to clean the case on my SE. It didnt remove the yellowing, but did a great job of getting skuff marks and other things off. Good luck finding it though. Ive also tryed Mothers Mag&Aluminum polish to clean them up. It doesnt remove the yellowing, but will remove any writing. (ie: Macintosh IIcx on the front of the case...opps) GoJo does clean dirt/grim/anything else like that but not the yellowing.
( Last edited by Bandit240; Apr 24, 2005 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Typos)

Vi0
Baninated
Apr 24, 2005, 05:41 PM

Don't do any spray stuff.

Take the case apart and put the outer plastic in a bucket of bleach outside. Let it sit overnight. Maybe do it twice. That will get it nice and shiny again.

stuffedmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2005, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by sideus
Think that might work on my Super NES?
I actually belong to another board that deals with classic video games... Sadly the answer is no. You can't clean the yellowing out of the old SNES. It's due to the type of plastic they used in some of the runs - the plastic itself has changed color. The only thing you can do is to get another one and swap shells.

Voch
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by stuffedmonkey
I actually belong to another board that deals with classic video games... Sadly the answer is no. You can't clean the yellowing out of the old SNES. It's due to the type of plastic they used in some of the runs - the plastic itself has changed color. The only thing you can do is to get another one and swap shells.
I thought this thread sounded familiar (I'm an AtariAge forum nut myself). I have a nasty yellow Atari 65XE that I'd love to try and bleach someday.

Voch

Forum Links
Forum Rules