Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Hard drive installation in 233 Mhz imac

Hard drive installation in 233 Mhz imac
2pound
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2005, 08:50 PM

This is the first of many questions because I have just recently inherited an old 233 Mhz imac (Rev.A) and of course I'm in the process of upgrading it. I was able to install 128 MB ram in both top and bottom slots (that's good). I'm currently trying to upgrade the hard drive with a 120 GB (I was sure not to exceed 128 GBs) 7200, 8MB buffer Seagate drive. I felt my way through the process with no problem but, once I turned on the computer the only thing that appears is a folder in the middle of the screen with the Mac OS symbol taking turns flashing with a question mark. I originally set the jumper pin as master since I removed the original 4MB hard drive completely (there was room for only one) and that would be the only drive. Since that did not work I have tried pretty much every jumper pin setting but, results are the same. P.S. I've taken this Mac apart so many times now I can do it blind folded.

Tu- (short for 2pound)

bgordon
Jul 23, 2005, 11:47 PM

Try using no jumpers. I think that worked for me in my old Rev. A iMac. Seriously.

Also, in those original iMacs, the system folder must be in the first 8 GB of the drive. You must partition the drive in at least 2 segments; one with 8 GB, the other with the rest of the space. (You can do that from the boot CD.) Were you aware of that/had you already done that?

- bgordon

2pound  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2005, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by bgordon
Try using no jumpers. I think that worked for me in my old Rev. A iMac. Seriously.

Also, in those original iMacs, the system folder must be in the first 8 GB of the drive. You must partition the drive in at least 2 segments; one with 8 GB, the other with the rest of the space. (You can do that from the boot CD.) Were you aware of that/had you already done that?

- bgordon

Thanks for replying,

Yes, I have tried it with no jumpers. Actually someone who was installing a hard drive in their imac had told me about a special jumper setting they found online that was not in the hard drive manual which I also tried with no success.
I may be wrong but, as far as the partitioning of the drive I thought that took place after you installed it and have a screen showing on the monitor in order to do so. Currently the only screen I have is the blank screen with the folder in the middle. I was going to partition drive later in an attempt to insatll Panther but, I wanted to upgrade the hard drive first. I do not currently have a start up disk but, I'll try to get one from the person who gave me the computer. If I run across the disk I'll try loading that up and see if the screen changes.

bgordon
Jul 24, 2005, 10:31 PM

I think you're going about this all wrong, to be honest.

The only way to upgrade an iMac's HD:

1. Turn off machine.
2. Remove old HD.
3. Install new HD, ensuring correct jumper settings.
4. Turn on machine, insert an operating system installation CD (OS 8.5, OS 9, even 10.whatever)
5. Hold "C" down as you do this; this forces the computer to boot up from the installation CD, not the HD (which has nothing on it, I'm assuming). Note that if you do not start the computer this way, you WILL see a flashing question mark folder.
6. Go into the folders until you see "disk utilities" or some such (I'm trying to remember the old OS 9 utilities). In there will be way to first initialize the new HD (erases all info on it), then partition it (you must do at least two partitions, one *slightly smaller than 8 GB.*)
7. Now look around in the folders on the boot CD for something that says "install OS 9." Be careful to install it on the less-than-8GB partition, NOT the big other partition you make, otherwise you'll see the flashing question mark again.)

Once installation is done, the computer will probably do a reboot. It should reboot from the HD this time, not the CD. To make sure, remove the CD at the earliest opportunity.

Finally, once you have the new operating system installed on the HD, go into the system settings to designate this new operating system as the startup disks.

Again, you MUST boot from a CD to begin this process.

- bgordon

2pound  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2005, 11:57 AM

Yes Yes Yes!

That's the response I've been waiting for. I'm at work and someone had just explained to me the same thing. I'm going to load up a OS CD when I get in.

Thanks alot,

Tu -

ValVashon
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2005, 05:10 PM

I've done this a bunch of times to these first generation iMacs (and a biege 233). Here's how I do it:

3 partitions-

1 @ 2gb (for OS 9.2.2- as far as you can go; free upgrades from any version of OS 9 available at apple's website)

1@ 6 gb (for any flavor of OS X- I think 10.3.9 is as far as you can go)

1@ the rest of your hard drive space

the first two have to be within the first 8gb, of course.

Partition, and install OS 9 and update it to OS 9.2.2. Then boot off of the OS X CD and install it on that partition. Then let the auto-updaters do their work.

You now have a dual booting machine. There are a couple of ways to dual boot. Hold down the option key at startup and a screen will appear with your startup drives. Click on one or the other and then hit the arrow key to start up in that system. Or, if OS X is your selected startup disk (and it should be) you can start up in OS 9 by holding down the "D" key at startup. This forces the machine to start up off of the first system folder it finds; in this case OS 9.

I had no luck getting one of these machines to restart after a successful install until I took off
all the jumpers on the hard drive, so consider that.

Also, you can install two 256mb memory chips to get a total of 512. Seems to make a difference when running OS X.

Good luck with it all.

Val

2pound  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2005, 04:22 PM

I currently, have OS 8.6 on the computer. I also have 10.3(Panther) that I was going to install. Do I need OS 9 or can I install Panther and jump from OS 8.6 to OS X?

I've read that it's luck of the draw whether or not this 233 Mhz imac can go up to 512 of RAM that's why I started out with the (2) 128MB. I may give it a try later when I get some more money.

Tu -

bgordon
Jul 26, 2005, 04:28 PM

You could go straight to Panther, I think. But I'm pretty sure performance will be kinda lousy compared to OS 8 or OS 9. I had 10.2 on my 233 and it was a dog. Panther may be slightly better, but I suspect not by much.

I'm not sure what you mean about jumping - whatever you're going to be installing will be on a fresh, newly-formatted hard drive, correct? Or have you already installed 8.6 on the new hard drive?

BTW, I had 512MB of RAM in my old Bondi, no problem.

- bgordon

2pound  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2005, 04:36 PM

It's me again,

I almost forgot. I think most people keep OS 9 on their computer in order to keep the option of having the Classic environment however, I'm not concerned with having the Classic environment so if it is possible for me to bypass OS 9 that would be a good thing. Espescially since the OS(Panther) is the only OS CD that I have right now.

Tu -

bgordon
Jul 26, 2005, 04:39 PM

You ought to be able to put Panher directly on there.

I have a great web site for you:

www.lowendmac.com

Lots of info for older Macs such as the old Bondis!

Good luck!

- bgordon

2pound  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2005, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by bgordon
You could go straight to Panther, I think. But I'm pretty sure performance will be kinda lousy compared to OS 8 or OS 9. I had 10.2 on my 233 and it was a dog. Panther may be slightly better, but I suspect not by much.

I'm not sure what you mean about jumping - whatever you're going to be installing will be on a fresh, newly-formatted hard drive, correct? Or have you already installed 8.6 on the new hard drive?

BTW, I had 512MB of RAM in my old Bondi, no problem.

- bgordon

Hey that makes a lot of since. Please forgive my ignorance, I'm still a young Padawan(If that's spelled right) learner. I'm going to give that a shot.

Tu -

Forum Links
Forum Rules