Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > MDD Users: Higher Fan RPM/Noise in Tiger?

MDD Users: Higher Fan RPM/Noise in Tiger?
lenox
Senior User
Jul 27, 2005, 05:40 PM

Has anyone noticed higher fan RPMs and noise since upgrading to Tiger with your MDD G4 macs?

It could just be the fact that it's summer in Florida...but it makes me mad, because I spent so much time silencing the thing...I even got a new copper heatsink for it! (dual 867mhz came with aluminum with no heat pipes)

I followed the advice of some other posts here and at xlr8yourmac.com regarding enabling nap mode...that seems to have helped, but I'd rather just have my mac's fans running like they were in 10.3 if possible!

bgordon
Jul 28, 2005, 10:50 AM

Really haven't noticed a change in fan speed in my MDD Dual 1.0 Ghz, to be honest.

Are you using the software program Temperature Monitor?

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19994

It's a good way to track your CPU temps and correlate fan noise accordingly. For example, I find that when my CPU temps hit 60 C, the PSU fans speed up, so I'm locked in a constant struggle to keep temps below that. I've got the main 120 mm CPU fan running at a constant 7 volts, so it never speeds up or slows down.

I've got a copper heatsink sitting in the house, waiting to be put it. Have you notice that it keeps things cooler than the stock aluminum heatsink? I've got the Verax silencking kit over the CPUs right now, so I'm not sure if the copper heatsink will be able to keep things as cool as the VErax kit or not. (I hope so; would be nice to get rid of more fan noise, even though the Verax fans are VERy quiet.)

Finally, in addition to the Verax silencing kit, I just replaced (last night) my GeForce 4ti video card (has a fan) with a Radeon 9000 Pro, which is fanless. Still evaluating the performance tradeoff between the two (doesn't seem to be much so far), but I can already tell a discernible drop in fan noise without the GeForce fan in there humming away.

Good luck, and stay cool!

- bgordon

Forum Links
Forum Rules