Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > What's up with the homophobes?

What's up with the homophobes?
Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2006, 11:05 PM

I'm not talking about anyone at the NN, since I can't think of any regulars here who are genuine homophobes. However, I have noticed that there are lots of obsessed homophobes around on the internet.

Recently I tried finding some gay-oriented websites and forums, since the lounge has its share of gay threads and I don't want to add to that.

However, I have found that at every gay forum I've lurked at, there's a good number of people who have a very keen interest in trying to remove homosexuality from the face of the planet.

These people tend to pose as atheist, tolerant liberals, with one exception: they have a weird obsession with eliminating homosexuality. They try to persuade people to start ex-gay therapy, they typically say things along these lines: "Nearly all of my friends growing up were gay, so I'm very tolerant. However, I think that homosexuality should be either stamped out using cognitive therapy, or it should be eliminated from society using eugenics."

Frankly what shocks me is that I've stumbled into so many of these people. I don't think they are religious guys, since the justifications they use have a lot more in common with the Nazis than with the Vatican.

So where do these people come from, and have you ever met one in real life?

Rolling Bones
Banned
Jan 28, 2006, 11:18 PM

I dunno.

Maybe they think it'll spread like a virus and their children will get it, Heaven forbid.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 28, 2006, 11:26 PM

I think some people are insecure, and like to feel superior. I think by attacking those they feel that are inferior, it makes them somehow feel better about themselves in a shallow hateful way.

No one is better than anyone else.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2006, 11:37 PM

I can say for sure that I'm better than all you guys here. It's a fact. I am a genius. I like gay people too. Lets boogy!

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2006, 11:41 PM

I totally agree Kevin. I know what you're implying here, :cough cough: a canadian :cough:.

Nevertheless I agree, some people have to constantly put down other peoples' way of life in order to be happy.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 29, 2006, 12:35 AM

I actually wasn't implying anything more than what I said. Honestly.

No hidden meanings.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2006, 01:20 AM

What's up with homophobes is the same as what's up with Christianaphobes and Islamaphobes, and technophobes, and Afrophobes, and Judeophobes, and on and on and on. Many are fearful of what they don't understand, because they aren't really secure enough in their beliefs to die for them, so they attack rather than making an attempt to learn. It seems to be part of human nature.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2006, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by KarlG
What's up with homophobes is the same as what's up with Christianaphobes and Islamaphobes, and technophobes, and Afrophobes, and Judeophobes, and on and on and on. Many are fearful of what they don't understand, because they aren't really secure enough in their beliefs to die for them, so they attack rather than making an attempt to learn. It seems to be part of human nature.
No. I don't agree with that at all. What you've just said implies is that if you understand something, you'll like it. I understand Windows quite well and still don't like it. In fact, I don't like it because I understand it.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2006, 09:00 AM

I don't think it's a matter of being insecure at all, at least not for everyone. If anything, it's a matter of being too secure in your own sexuality for some people. It's not a matter of being afraid of what they don't understand, but not understanding is a part of it.

Let me try and explain using myself as an example. I think of myself as a typical American heterosexual man. I don't recall ever having any desire growing up to experiment or any curiosity about homosexual activity. The thought of engaging in that type of activity is, in fact, disgusting to my particular sensibilities. But I am able to recognize that this is due to the particular way my brain is wired, and that other people may be wired differently. I am also able to recognize that we, as humans, are defined by much more than just our sexuality. I have a few friends who are gay, and I can relate to them perfectly well, even though I would not want to do the things they do (and vice versa, no doubt!) I don't think that just being their friend would give me "teh gay" (although this thread might! ) Nor do I think they need to stop being gay just because I would not do the things they do.

Some people cannot recognize or understand this distinction. They are too self-centered to realize that other people may have base instincts which are different then their own, and that what might be perfectly natural to that person could be unnatural to someone else. Religious gay-bashers define what is "natural" based on the strictures of their religion, but I think non-religious people could define it by what is normal for them, and see homosexual activity as "deviant" because it repulses them personally, therefore it must be unnatural. I think these are the type of people who would consider homosexuality to be a mental illness. These people may consider themselves to be "tolerant", because they want to provide support to their friends to get over their "illness", And think about it -- if you did think of it as an "illness", wouldn't you like to see it "cured"?

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 29, 2006, 11:46 AM

Being tolerant of homosexuals doesn't mean you have to accept their lifestyle.
Tolerance means how you treat the very people you disagree with.

Tolerance isn't letting go of your own personal moral guidelines.

Too many people think that is what tolerance is. Accepting everything.

It is not.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2006, 02:58 PM

Interesting posts so far.

As another source, I'd like to throw in the "recovered homosexual" types, trying to shore up thier own doubts by trying to convince everyone else.

I'm guessing this isn't the source of all the people you see, but there have to be a few.

It's certainly consistent with an athiest/lefty choosing homosexuality as the big bee in one's bonnet.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2006, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Being tolerant of homosexuals doesn't mean you have to accept their lifestyle.
Tolerance means how you treat the very people you disagree with.

Tolerance isn't letting go of your own personal moral guidelines.

Too many people think that is what tolerance is. Accepting everything.

It is not.
What do you mean by "accepting"?

How do you treat the people you disagree with?

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2006, 10:51 PM

I think what he's saying is that while he fundamentally disagrees with homosexuality, he doesn't provoke or disrespect gay people.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 29, 2006, 11:18 PM

bingo.

Just like someone doesn't have to accepted Christianity to be nice to me.

Tolerance is how you treat the very people you disagree with.

ledzeppelin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2006, 11:19 PM

( Last edited by ledzeppelin; Jan 29, 2006 at 11:47 PM. )

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 29, 2006, 11:21 PM

LZ there is no need to bring hatefullness into this.

You don't have to condone anything. But there is no reason to be overtly pissy.

That certainly wont win anyone way of thinking to your side I promise you. It will do the exact opposite.

Not that that should be your only reason to be nice to someone.

You are no better than any homosexual on this planet.

God sees it this way. Why don't you?

ledzeppelin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2006, 11:29 PM

-----
( Last edited by ledzeppelin; Jan 29, 2006 at 11:48 PM. )

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 29, 2006, 11:32 PM

Yes I agree, some people project things were they don't belong.

I am showing how one can not agree with a lifestyle, yet still be tolerant .

But in a less, dramatic in your face way like you are.

Which some may deem to be rude.

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 30, 2006, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
However, I have found that at every gay forum I've lurked at, there's a good number of people who have a very keen interest in trying to remove homosexuality from the face of the planet.
Ya I think your right, in the 17 posts so far there is 6 from one such nut.

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2006, 12:10 AM

Oh dear, fasten your seatbelts.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 30, 2006, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Leia's Left Bun
Ya I think your right, in the 17 posts so far there is 6 from one such nut.
You know that man
You hate?
You look more like him
Every day everyday
Hi-di-hos!
2 good shoes
Won't save your soul
( Last edited by Kevin; Jan 30, 2006 at 07:50 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules