Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS]

Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS] (Page 21)
goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2006, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
They were originally programmed for life on earth, weren't they? It probably seems as natural to them as it does to us.
It's been stated that they really want to replace humans, so they act as human like as possible.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

OreoCookie
Feb 26, 2006, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
That I see coming is a group of human Cylons becoming freedom fighters and sabotaging the rest of the cylon fleet. The mechanical ones are all destroyed and the human ones become mortal and live happily ever after on the original colonies. Humans find earth and happily live there with the cylon kid mixed nicely into the DNA chain.

I sorta hope I am wrong as this is kinda what happened on DS9.
Sounds kinda reasonable. Although I expect even more mixing between the survivors of the colonies (I don't think just one fracking () pyramid team has survived the attack

However that leaved the question of what their God is and how they relate to him. They seem to have a rather direct connection to him.

In any case, I think this is what will happen in the short term (i. e. until the series is over ), otherwise there would be no conflict left.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2006, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
However that leaved the question of what their God is and how they relate to him. They seem to have a rather direct connection to him.
I've always figured it's the same direct connection every very religious person has to his god.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 26, 2006, 04:18 PM

I am happy that I correctly guessed 6 months ago that Gina is also see a Baltar.

Anywho, I still think the knuckle dragger Cali (the bug eye'd chick) is a Cylon.

Ok, the thing that bothers me from day one is WHO DID GINA MEET IN THE MARKET in the pilot? How did baltar survive the nuke attack? I don't think it is some insignificant cylon agent.

Don't tell me Gina got killed but the fact that Baltars face was in her crotch he survived.
Was it a cylon Baltar?

Now if Baltar is a cylon they wouldn't have had to send Six to get the codes off him. BUT, what if Baltar was a human and right before the attack Gina realized she was so in love with Baltar she didn't want to lose him. Could Gina have made a Baltar Cylon to download his brain patterns to? Now as Gina's and Baltars subconscious got mixed up in the download.

Only Cylons can see into the future as they think it has happened before. The imaginary Baltar knew that Boomer would throw the cup and told Gina so she could use it to her advantage. HOW THE HECK DID HE KNOW THAT if he was human?

Right now I think Baltar might be a Cylon but doesn't know it. I also think the rest of the cylons know about him either other than Gina.

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2006, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Leia's Left Bun
Anywho, I still think the knuckle dragger Cali (the bug eye'd chick) is a Cylon.
You think Cally is a cylon? The girl who shot Boomer?
Chuck
___

Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2006, 04:27 PM

I think we're done with regular characters being Cylons (and in Cally's case, former regular members). The Pegasus crew are all good candidates for Cylon agents, though...

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 26, 2006, 04:28 PM

You think Cally is a cylon? The girl who shot Boomer?
ya, she didn't want that Boomer to be interrogated and knew she would be reborn so might as well kill her once her mission was done and the secret was out.

Cali also didn't want to attack the cylons on Kobol.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2006, 05:24 PM

I don't understand why it's so hard to believe that Baltar did in fact survive the blast by being shielded by Six alone. From the moment the actuall blast happens, which they show, and the moment Six says "get down," is nearly a full minute.

This suggests that his house was far enough away as to not be subject to immediate death fallout, not to mention you can clearly see his house was shielded by a small mountain range. Had he been close enough to have almost zero chances of survival, the blast from the nuke would have happened nearly instantly after he saw it over the hills.

Not to mention the fact that there were other survivors from his area, which we saw in the mini-series when he was amidst the group of people running over the hills towards Helo and Boomer by their downed Raptor.

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 26, 2006, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by greenamp
I don't understand why it's so hard to believe that Baltar did in fact survive the blast by being shielded by Six alone.
Because not even Gina survived it.

Anywho, according to the 217 podcast the Pegasus will still be around in season 3 and Lee will still command it.

I am happy to hear that as it adds so much to the show.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2006, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Leia's Left Bun
Because not even Gina survived it.

Anywho, according to the 217 podcast the Pegasus will still be around in season 3 and Lee will still command it.

I am happy to hear that as it adds so much to the show.
I always just figured Gina was killed primarily by the glass and debris blasting into her from the window they were by, and perhaps from the house falling down in on them, from which she shielded Baltar.
( Last edited by greenamp; Feb 26, 2006 at 05:40 PM. )

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Feb 26, 2006, 05:45 PM

OMG SEXYMOM!!!!11

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 26, 2006, 07:06 PM

Hey you guys think Hero Sharon is seeing a hallucination of the Chief?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2006, 08:12 PM

She certainly talks to her hallucination less than the others if she sees one.
Chuck
___

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 26, 2006, 08:20 PM

She certainly talks to her hallucination less than the others if she sees one.
We've only seen her in 1 episode so you can't say that.

Chloe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2006, 08:48 PM

I've always figured it's the same direct connection every very religious person has to his god.
I was pondering this, too. I started to wonder whether the Cylons have a "god" like the Borg had their queen. But I really just think that the Cylon concept of God is monotheistic while the humans' is polytheistic. It will be interesting to learn more about how they came to have that faith in the first place.

As for Cally, I really don't think she is a Cylon. Of course, anyone could be, but she just seems very humanly frail. She is incredibly loyal to the Chief and was upset that Sharon had caused him to be in trouble. I don't think her balking on Kobol was in resistance to killing a toaster -- it seems like the toasters are the mindless servants of the human form Cylons currently. That's an interesting thing to contemplate, too, though. If the "toaster" versions developed enough humanity to rebel and to believe in God, how is it that the current ones seem to be simply robots?

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2006, 09:09 PM

Trying to figure out why is a Cylon is about as easy as trying to figure out who on the show is a comunist. Honestly, the writers probably don`t even know who is a Cylon yet. They`re just keeping the other models in reserve until they need a good story line, or need to spice things up.

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 26, 2006, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Chloe
As for Cally, I really don't think she is a Cylon. Of course, anyone could be, but she just seems very humanly frail. She is incredibly loyal to the Chief and was upset that Sharon had caused him to be in trouble. I don't think her balking on Kobol was in resistance to killing a toaster -- it seems like the toasters are the mindless servants of the human form Cylons currently. That's an interesting thing to contemplate, too, though. If the "toaster" versions developed enough humanity to rebel and to believe in God, how is it that the current ones seem to be simply robots?
I would think it more likely that the individual toaster models have a centralized intelligence that operates wirelessly. The toasters are more likely drones for a brain cylon elsewhere. In war you don't want your grunts acting smart, you want them to follow orders. I'm sure there would be several such clusters... oh say... 12.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2006, 11:48 PM

Why do peoples' apostrophes keep coming out as ` marks?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2006, 01:34 AM

I think they're actively writing them that way.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 27, 2006, 03:20 AM

I finally got around to popping in one of the discs from my Season One set that I purchased a few months back.

Ugh... The video quality really is terrible. If I hadn't gotten this set on sale with a coupon code for $22, I would be pissed. Hell, I'm still pissed. This show warrants high-quality video and audio.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2006, 03:27 AM

I thought the show was intentionally low-quality, filmed on MiniDV or something.
Chuck
___

mrtew
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2006, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker

That's great! I wish someone would do that with a bunch of scenes from Battlestar!!!! What I really wish is that there were full-res HDTV torrents of cool episodes. Has anyone seen any torrents like that (of any TV shows)? How big would a file like that be?
( Last edited by mrtew; Feb 27, 2006 at 12:05 PM. )

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Feb 27, 2006, 09:06 AM

I just listenend to the podcasts for 217 and 218:

1) Is he stoned? It sure sounds like he's toking up.

2) The best part of 217 is when his wife interrupts the podcast.

3) What's with all the "whiner" comments?

4) I'm a little disappointed he didn't comment on "SEXYMOM".

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2006, 09:35 AM

I thought the show was intentionally low-quality, filmed on MiniDV or something.
it is filmed in high quality HD.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

greenamp
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2006, 12:02 AM

Good ep. Next weeks 90min finale looks like it's gonna be a good one.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2006, 12:05 AM

Anyone else notice Lee's uber sophisticated colonial fleet battle-screen remote?

Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2006, 03:01 PM

Wonder if the rescue mission will bring back more people than were sent out. Kinda worthless if they didn't...

Anyone think the President will be able to turn the election around?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 4, 2006, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by
Wonder if the rescue mission will bring back more people than were sent out. Kinda worthless if they didn't...

Anyone think the President will be able to turn the election around?
Answer is a spoiler from the previews for the next episode. Hilight below to see it:

The preview for next episode shows Baltar giving an order to Adama as president.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2006, 05:49 PM

I was about to go NUTS listening to that STUPID music they had for the 1st 1/4 of the show. Holy crap!
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 4, 2006, 09:10 PM

I totally agree w/ railhead...I thought it was an 80's flashback or something.

Other than the music, I thought it was a solid episode...
Joe

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2006, 10:02 PM

Pretty good, I was hoping for a better cliffhanger but not bad.

"Barwaraaawww"

greenamp
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
I was about to go NUTS listening to that STUPID music they had for the 1st 1/4 of the show. Holy crap!
You and me both man. It was making me have disturbing flashbacks of lame Enterprise episodes

They better not pull that sh*t again. The drum cadence is all the soundtrack they will ever need.
( Last edited by greenamp; Mar 5, 2006 at 12:45 AM. )

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 02:49 AM

I hope they reveal a new Cylon model next episode...
( Last edited by I Bent My Wookiee; Mar 5, 2006 at 03:01 AM. )

"Barwaraaawww"

greenamp
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by I Bent My Wookiee
I hope they reveal a new Cylon model next episode...
Could it be Dean Stockwell, aka Brother Cavell?

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by greenamp
Could it be Dean Stockwell, aka Brother Cavell?
Meh, I think for it to be a shocker we would have to see a hidden cylon that we have known for a while. AKA Cally or something of the sort.

"Barwaraaawww"

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 5, 2006, 03:20 PM

Here are my predictions:
Baltar wins the election.
Baltar can't handle it, cuz when it comes down to it, he's a tool.
They settle on the planet, pretty much abandoning the fleet.
The Cylons find the planet and attack.
Oh, and Billy's replacement, what's her name, Tory? Yeah, she's your new Cylon model.

And Cally isn't a Cylon. Just as soon as they put her jaw back together, her and the Chief will make nicey-nice and hook up.
Nemo me impune lacesset

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane
Here are my predictions:
Baltar wins the election.
Considering the synopsis for next weeks episode is :"When baltar wins the election...." don't expect us to be too impressed when you prediction is correct.

"Barwaraaawww"

macs are good mkay
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2006, 04:47 PM

someone a while back noticed there are only what, 2 black people in the show. if battlestar galactica takes place in the distant future, wouldn't there be no races at all? the only reason we have races today is because a lack of technology kept everyone seperated for the long history of evolution. i imagine that in several thousand years there will have been enough inter-racial procreation that everyone on earth will look the same. of course that wouldn't have been very exciting for the show, but for arguments sake, it cant be too many generations away.

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by macs are good mkay
someone a while back noticed there are only what, 2 black people in the show
That's cuz they are hard to see in space

"Barwaraaawww"

OreoCookie
Mar 5, 2006, 05:03 PM

Simon, Tory, Dualla, some guards, more than two, but not many. On the other hand, take a look at other major television shows, I don't think they are much better. (I was always wondering why series like the Bill Cosby Show or Family Matters do the exact opposite, having almost exclusively blacks on the show …)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 5, 2006, 05:05 PM

Considering the synopsis for next weeks episode is :"When baltar wins the election...." don't expect us to be too impressed when you prediction is correct.
Well, I didn't read the synopsis for next weeks episode, because I just got a chance to watch it at around 04:00 this morning.

I wasn't trying to give any earth shattering predictions, just stating what I think is coming. The only thing that was anything other than an educated guess was my thinking that Tory chick is a Cylon.

Here's a prediction probably not covered in the syopsis: Gina is going to launch a suicide attack against the Cloud Nine pleasure ship and pop her nuke, making the pleasure no more.
Nemo me impune lacesset

mrtew
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2006, 05:07 PM

... if battlestar galactica takes place in the distant future, wouldn't there be no races at all?
I don't think it's in the future. The old show was set in the present (1978-1980) and I don't think the story would make much sense if they changed that part. The theme of the old show was that there are brothers of man out there looking for us right now.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2006, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
Simon, Tory, Dualla, some guards, more than two, but not many. On the other hand, take a look at other major television shows, I don't think they are much better. (I was always wondering why series like the Bill Cosby Show or Family Matters do the exact opposite, having almost exclusively blacks on the show …)
The Presidents aid is black. The religious leader was black. The current leader of the religious colony is black.

For the most part I think minorities are really well represented. Admiral Adama is Latino. Sharon is asian. Not everyone who is non-Black is automatically white.

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
The Presidents aid is black. The religious leader was black. The current leader of the religious colony is black.

For the most part I think minorities are really well represented. Admiral Adama is Latino. Sharon is asian. Not everyone who is non-Black is automatically white.
I thought it was pretty diverse also. They also make all the white people are the ones that are misbehavin'

Boomer = Good Cylon
Simon = Pretty friendly Cylon

Six = Crazy white bitch
Lucy Lawless = Sneaky white bitch
White Cylon dude 1 & 2 are creepy

"Barwaraaawww"

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2006, 05:45 PM

Then again, Dualla = Cheatin', guilt-ridden ho!
Chuck
___

greenamp
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 05:54 PM

Then again, Dualla = Cheatin', guilt-ridden ho!
C'mon, would you have chosen BIlly over Lee if you were her?

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 06:16 PM

Alright Alright Alright . The real question here is... Who would win: Battlestar Galactica vs. a Star- destroyer.

"Barwaraaawww"

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 5, 2006, 06:45 PM

Alright Alright Alright . The real question here is... Who would win: Battlestar Galactica vs. a Star- destroyer.
Pegasus.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
Pegasus.
Nerd.

"Barwaraaawww"

Myriad
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2006, 12:50 AM

someone a while back noticed there are only what, 2 black people in the show. if battlestar galactica takes place in the distant future, wouldn't there be no races at all? the only reason we have races today is because a lack of technology kept everyone seperated for the long history of evolution. i imagine that in several thousand years there will have been enough inter-racial procreation that everyone on earth will look the same. of course that wouldn't have been very exciting for the show, but for arguments sake, it cant be too many generations away.
Totally. It's wall to wall white people in this show. It's almost as if the entire BSG universe is populated by people from Western Canada...
Have you seen me?

Forum Links
Forum Rules