Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Sad Mac and Question Mark

Sad Mac and Question Mark
Tmanflys
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2006, 08:22 PM

ok, so here i am, and i've got a mac problem. you have probably had a million questions about this before, but nothing seems to work. I am 17 and have an original imac. i bought it a few years ago used, and it has always worked well since. it has never been connected to the internet and is just used to type school papers. now, when i try to start it, it just flashes between a question mark and a weird looking mac face. it repetitivly makes a sound like it keeps trying to reload something or keep trying to start up over and over agian. i have waited for every for many days and it just keeps flashing that q mark. i am not too sure what the start up disk it, i think it is the orange one. i have tried some different button pressing sequences and nothing works.

why has this decided to poop out on me and how can i fix it.

please help me,

thank you, aaron

ghporter
Administrator
May 27, 2006, 09:34 PM

Aaron, first let me welcome you to the MacNN Forums. While there may be a dozen stupid (and intentionally so) answers to any question, there are not stupid questions here-particularly for newbies like yourself.

Now, let's talk about your subject line. It stinks. This is really a problem because a) we have a rule about posting with meaningful and informative subjects, and b) because nobody is going to give you much help if they are turned off by your subject (or at least haven't had their interest piqued).

Now, I'm going to edit your subject to something meaningful. You're getting a "sad Mac" picture and a question mark. That's meaningful to the Mac cognizenti, and someone will post soon with some sort of help. I'm still pretty new to Macs in general, and haven't encountered problems like yours, so I can't help-except to fix your subject to make it work better.

Again, welcome and I wish you luck with your problem.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Tmanflys  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2006, 05:47 PM

so here is an update.

when i put in the apple orange disk, i think it is a start up disk, it says mac applications on it, i goes to a completely grey screen. the whole screen is grey except for up in the left corrner, it has white text. the text is as follows:

Apple iMac Firmware 3.0.f2 built on 04/23/99 at 14:31.03
Copyright 1994-1999 Apple computer, Inc.
All rights Reserved
ok
0>_

what is above is all that it shows. i am able to type at the 0>_ symbol and then press enter, then it says ok, and goes to another line, but nothing ever happens.

what does this all mean

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 28, 2006, 07:35 PM

That's the Open Firmware interface. You need to startup with a System CD and reinstall OS 9, or you can get a hold of Disk Warrior and see if that will do the trick.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Tmanflys  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2006, 10:39 AM

I am not really sure what you mean. I just need some definitions, what is Open Firmware Interfearance?

bgordon
May 30, 2006, 11:50 AM

Check this:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=16473

and go down the list.

I think (not sure, but strongly believe) you're using the wrong orange disk - if it says "Applications" on it, it's probably not the right one. Look for another one that says "system disk" or "disk tools," and start up from there.

To start up FROM a cd, you get the CD in the machine, power down, and power the machine back up while holding the "C" button down.

Hope this helps.

- bgordon

Forum Links
Forum Rules