Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Question:Macbook now or Macbook Later

Question:Macbook now or Macbook Later
new_e46
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2006, 08:52 PM

Does anyone know when new Macbook with Core 2 Duo will be out? Just debating if I should wait for the new CPU or buy the existing macbook?
( Last edited by new_e46; Sep 6, 2006 at 09:00 PM. )

Weezer
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2006, 08:57 PM

If you need one now, buy one now. If you can wait a month or two, wait. And change your title, it's misleading

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2006, 10:06 PM

The termination of the free iPod deal means that the MacBook will be updated shortly after.

Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 6, 2006, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather
The termination of the free iPod deal means that the MacBook will be updated shortly after.
I don't think it means the MacBook's getting an upgrade. I think that that the iPod nano is what will be getting upgraded....

Honestly if any mobile Macs get the core 2, it'll be the MBP. There is really not enough to distinguish the MB and the MBP...

Or maybe I hope the MacBook doesn't upgrade because I bought mine 5 days ago... DENIAL. lol.
Black MacBook 2.0GHz Core Duo, 1GB RAM.
Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse, Brenthaven Metro (black).

new_e46  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2006, 08:16 AM

It's hard decision since there are rumors and news of MB getting the new chip. I think I will hold out till I hear something concrete.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2006, 09:11 AM

Wait until at least Sept 12th.
Linkinus is king.

new_e46  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2006, 07:53 PM

Anyone heard if MB will get Core2Due from today's Apple announcement?

brutal
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2006, 08:50 AM

No C2D yesterday. So, should I order?

pat++
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by brutal
No C2D yesterday. So, should I order?
I don't think the MacBook will get an update before january. Why? Simply look at the shipping delay for MacBooks on the Apple store: 7 days. It means they can't keep up with the demand. As a consequence, there is NO need to update. The MacBook Pro might get an update soon though.

Of course, only Steve knows for sure.

ChasingApple
Senior User
Sep 13, 2006, 05:46 PM

It is an age old question when it comes to macs, hehe. Do it this way, figure out what you need it for and base the hardware abilities on those apps. If the current macbook is more then fast enough for them then go ahead and get one. If you have something that is CPU intensive to the point where you need the 20-40% boost of the Core 2, then wait. 95% of people DO NOT need all the power thier computers have
iMac G4 / Macbook

masugu
Senior User
Sep 13, 2006, 10:07 PM

You'll be liking the better battery life of the Yonah in the current Macbooks! Agree with Chasing...unless you will be needing every extra ounce of CPU in the next few months, buy now. Otherwise you may as well wait until end of Q1 for the next upgrade. And who wants to do that?
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 11:02 PM

If it was me I'd order it now.
Linkinus is king.

ChasingApple
Senior User
Sep 14, 2006, 12:06 AM

I myself am using my Clamshell right now to post, surf and such, and all it has is a 366Mhz G3, more then enough power to accomplish that task. But when I am doing video encoding I use the big guns, which for me is a G4 1.25Ghz iMac. Soon I will have a Core 2 Duo (My Alienware) which should encode alot faster then the iMac! I do alot of production work with video so I do need the power, but just for that task, everything else is just fine on the slower systems.

The current Macbook is extremely fast, and one night I had my wife unplug the power just to see how her teacher apps do with the battery life of the system, she lasted just over 4 1/2 hours using those apps along with Safari and iChat running. Three of my friends have the new Macbooks, and I am impressed with them hands down, go ahead and buy one, you will love it!
iMac G4 / Macbook

Forum Links
Forum Rules