Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Keyboard light

Keyboard light
kcmac
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2001, 04:54 AM

Who needs one? With these white keys they seem to attract enough light from the screen that I know right where I am on the board.

MarkusYamamoto
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2001, 07:16 AM

A keyboard light would be pretty cool but I don't think Apple would
want to open that can of worms. Just think about it that would be
another source of problems that could occur and then people would
complain and make a big issue about certain keys that wouldn't light
up or, drain more battery power and would hurt the sales of the Mac.
Look what happened to the Cube with the hairline molding cracks.

You know what would be cool is if they used phosphorous glow in the
dark paint underneath the keys it would help a little to light up the keys
without using any power or connections to light LED's for a keyboard

Markus
Markus 8^)

mmarcos
Jun 8, 2001, 08:26 AM

The Kensington Flylight is a nice device. Plugs into a USB socket, has a flexible bodt so you can aim in any angle. Doesn't weight much. It's a nice alternative since it doesn't take up any energy unless you use it.
Are you spontaneously enthusiastic about everyone having everything you can have? - Buckminster Fuller

emsauda
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2001, 08:33 AM

The newer Thinkpads have a neat little light mounted above the screen, recessed into the plastic casing, that throws just enough light to type by. It's pretty cool. Even for a Stinkpad.
"If I were king, there'd be some changes made." -REK, Jr.

todrain
Senior User
Jun 8, 2001, 09:22 AM

I have a flylight, and it's great!

eTard
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2001, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by todrain:
<STRONG>I have a flylight, and it's great!</STRONG>
I second (maybe third) that, the thing is way cool, light, cheap
eTard.....don't be one

Friends don't let friends be an eTard

BobVB
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2001, 02:10 PM

Oh and there is one significant alternative to the Flylight with significant alternative features. Its the MCE USB Flexlight. Its not as widely marketed as Kensington, but it does have the distinctive features of on/off switch on the light, and a red diffuser (who ever thought that one white LED could be so bright in a dark room?) Same price as the Flylight (though you'd have to pay shipping if you can't find it retail).

The big plus for the Flylight is the Kensington 5 year warranty, that if its like other Kensington items is questionless (I've had 3 mice/trackballs that broke, called them and they just sent me a free replacement without questions or qualifications).

Being a compulsive shopper I have one of the MCE's on the way, due for delivery today. I'll post a report on how the two compare - the one I like least will be relegated to be my 'nitelight' at the desktop computer. (not I don't live in California

neophilia
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2001, 02:29 PM

I bought a Flylight as well and I love it. Very sleek, almost feel like buying a bunch and setting up weird snaking studio-type lights with a USB hub..

As for the MCE light, I've heard that thing drains a ton of battery life so be wary of that.. something like 10% vs. 90 seconds off each hour for the Flylight.

Also purchased Kensington's Pocket Mouse and now the Pro mouse in a box.. Man do I love Kensington now.

-peter, http://peter.neophiliadesign.com/

BobVB
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2001, 02:53 PM

As for the MCE light, I've heard that thing drains a ton of battery life so be wary of that.. something like 10% vs. 90 seconds off each hour for the Flylight.
That was one of the things I was going to check out - if they are both using one of the new white LEDs I can't see how the power differential could be that severe. Maybe its just another advertising 'mindset' that's suckered us in, eh?

In any case, I'll report back.

<sgdsgg>
Jun 8, 2001, 06:10 PM

The MCE light is not an LED. I wouldn't buy it for just that reason -- way too much battery drain.

I have a Flylight, and it's great.

Incidentally, if the light is coming from underneath the keyboard, it's very difficult to see the letters on the keys. You can, however, see where the keys are, which may be the main issue for most people.

For the TiBook, I had the idea of making a "fake" memory DIMM with a few surface-mount high-brightness LEDs on it, for illuminating the keyboard from underneath. It actually would work, but would need to be pretty bright to have much of an effect. If anyone wants to investigate this further, feel free. I don't have the time to do it, but would love to have one.

[email protected]

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 8, 2001, 06:36 PM

Remember when the puck mice &lt;cringe&gt; came out and people found ways to solder an LED onto the mouse's logic board, lighting it from within? I wonder if something similar could be done with the iBook using those new high-power low-drain LEDs. Although I can type and don't need to see my keyboard, that would be a sweet-looking hack.
Apple user since 1987

Circa
Senior User
Jun 8, 2001, 08:09 PM

I can type too, but I have to admit it may be cool to have the option to turn the light on and off on the notebook itself that way if the user needs the light he/she can have access to it. If your worried about battery power no prob you can just turn it off.

That would nice,
Circa

BobVB
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2001, 02:10 AM

The MCE light is not an LED. I wouldn't buy it for just that reason -- way too much battery drain.
Ugh - you're right. It has one of those tiny wheat bulbs in it with a reflector. It does put out more light than the Flylight, but it uses one watt an hour (about 10% or more of your power) and I doesn't seem to have a guarantee, let alone the 5 year one on the flylight.

the MCE draws so much power I can't even make it work on a powered USB hub.

Definitely not a recommended purchase - the flylight is the way to go.

Forum Links
Forum Rules