Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Jaguar Mail Question

Jaguar Mail Question
Buck_W
Senior User
Aug 24, 2002, 01:04 PM

Does anyone know if (and how) you can format an attached picture in Jaguar's mail application?

For instance, Outlook Express gives you the option of formatting an attached file to Windows format. I sent an attached picture (using Jaguar's mail app) to someone who uses a PC and they were not able to open it.

Any suggestions? Thank you

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2002, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by Buck_W:
Does anyone know if (and how) you can format an attached picture in Jaguar's mail application?

For instance, Outlook Express gives you the option of formatting an attached file to Windows format. I sent an attached picture (using Jaguar's mail app) to someone who uses a PC and they were not able to open it.
Windows users will receive two files, one for the data and one for the resource fork. I don't think that changes in Jaguar's Mail. You can tell the Windows users that they can savely ignore the resource fork file.

If you don't want the resource fork to be sent, you'll have to strip it from the attached file before sending.

Make sure the file has the correct filename extension.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2002, 02:27 PM

why does it attach a resource fork?

sounds kinda pointless.
*empty space*

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2002, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by TNproud2b:
why does it attach a resource fork?

sounds kinda pointless.
Some legacy files (SimpleText, Nisus Writer I think...) require them. All legacy apps require them (if you e-mail them).

Most of the time you don't need them, so it should be an option.

It would be cool if Mail could detect the OS for people you reply to and allowed you to set the OS for people in the Adress Book.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

pinlo
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2002, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by Developer:

Windows users will receive two files, one for the data and one for the resource fork. I don't think that changes in Jaguar's Mail. You can tell the Windows users that they can savely ignore the resource fork file.
This option is unacceptable.

If you don't want the resource fork to be sent, you'll have to strip it from the attached file before sending.
This is not true. I stripped the resource fork from a jpeg, and even used Resourcerer to verify that it was gone. The Windows user still saw two files attached.

Apple needs to fix this. (I can't believe they haven't yet.)
Let D�j� Vu take care of backing up your files.
You've got better things to do with your time.
http://propagandaprod.com/dejavu.html

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2002, 03:02 PM

Are you sure you stripped the resource fork? It might be that the file just had an empty resource fork.

ResEdit adds an empty resource fork to a file if you open it, maybe Resorcerer does so too.

ps:
I already agreed that Apple needs to fix this.

m.brown
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2002, 03:03 PM

Make sure the file has the correct filename extension.
I realise now why some colleagues around the world complain that "garbage" is attached to my e-mails sent from Mail.

I had a good look on Apple's kBase and couldn't find anything about this.

Does anyone know exactly what the issue is with Mail - why Mail sends attachements in this way?

I really don't want to go back to using Entourage or anything else.

DannyVTim
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2002, 03:10 PM

Are you sure you stripped the resource fork? It might be that the file just had an empty resource fork.

ResEdit adds an empty resource fork to a file if you open it, maybe Resorcerer does so too.

ps:
I already agreed that Apple needs to fix this.
I send pics to PC my office PC and they work fine. Extra file or not the pictures should open okay. Why is it that they don't open?
Dan

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2002, 03:17 PM

Sending email with a 'crap file' attachment along with your intended attachment is a sure way to scare the recipient into NOT opening the attachments.

Is it a virus or a 'resource fork' ?
*empty space*

DannyVTim
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2002, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by DannyVTim:

I send pics to PC my office PC and they work fine. Extra file or not the pictures should open okay. Why is it that they don't open?

I just sent a picture with and without a resource fork to a machine running Win98 and Outlook 97 and there was only one file. It opened correctly.

Mail doesn't have this problem that you are reporting as far as I can tell. Perhaps there is something I'm missing, but I think your problem is on the PC side like a missing .jpg extension or something.
Dan

m.brown
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2002, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by TNproud2b:
Sending email with a 'crap file' attachment along with your intended attachment is a sure way to scare the recipient into NOT opening the attachments.

Is it a virus or a 'resource fork' ?
Well it's definately NOT a virus in my case. Does Mail in Jaguar still do this?

pinlo
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2002, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by DannyVTim:
Mail doesn't have this problem that you are reporting as far as I can tell. Perhaps there is something I'm missing, but I think your problem is on the PC side like a missing .jpg extension or something.
I'm sure the picture I sent had no resource fork. I used /Developer/Tools/SplitForks to strip it off, and made sure it had the proper extension.

On the Windows (2K Pro) side, Outlook Express 5.5 shows 2 attachments, while Lotus Notes showed only 1 attachment. So, obviously the mail client makes a difference. The point is, Apple needs to address this so that it *always* works correctly for everyone on the Windows side.

Too bad really, because I thought Mail was improving nicely in other areas.
Let D�j� Vu take care of backing up your files.
You've got better things to do with your time.
http://propagandaprod.com/dejavu.html

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2002, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by m.brown:

Well it's definately NOT a virus in my case. Does Mail in Jaguar still do this?
Yes, Mail.app in Jag still sends two attachments when you send pictures. It was the very first things I tried. It's not just 2 attachments to Windows users, it also sends 2 to Yahoo users. Funny thing is when I send it with Mail and then receive it with Entourage, I only get 1 attachment, the original picture. Until Apple strips away the 2nd attachment automatically, I refuse to use Mail.

Forum Links
Forum Rules