Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.2: I am totally underwhelmed.

10.2: I am totally underwhelmed.
mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2002, 08:37 AM

Now that I have sorted out all the little problems and got the UNIX stuff working again so I am functional I am comparing my computing experience now with yesterday with 10.1.5. Its not that much different. I am on a PB G4 400 so no quartz extreme and no .mac - maybe thats the problem.

For me (and obviously for others it will be different) here are the improvements.

(1) spring loaded folders - welcome back

(2) battery/non-battery energy saver settings - welcome back

(3) airport software base station - welcome back

(4) ftp in finder - that will be handy but I haven't been game
to try it as others report it crashes. This will be neat but I already
own interarchy so - neat but not new functionality for me.

(5) its a bit snappier (sorry) but its just had a clean install and an optimize so maybe thats the cause of that

(6) printer sharing - that will be useful and new functionality in my airport network at home

(7) `free' T-shirt

So what did I pay $229 AUST for ? (Actually I got an edu discount
and its not my money but thats beside the point.) Its hard to get excited about
functionality I had two years ago in MacOS 9.

The most useful thing so far has been (7). Summer is coming up here and I need a few T-shirts. A touch pricey by my usual standards though :-)

Michael
( Last edited by mmurray; Aug 25, 2002 at 05:47 AM. )

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 24, 2002, 09:01 AM

OS 9 had all the functionality that OS X 10.2 has? Hardly. That is the overstament of the year.

ink
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2002, 09:55 AM

I'm with ya. It's exactly the same experience as 10.1 on my iBook/500. Definately not worth $130. Terminal.app has been neutered to boot...

And now, when I bring my iBook out of sleep, I get the "your computer is running on reserve power" if there is a CD in the drive, no matter how charged the battery is. And, I can't eject CDs anymore from time to time with a "This CD is in use" warning, even though there is nothing using the drive...
( Last edited by ink; Aug 24, 2002 at 10:00 AM. )

DannyVTim
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2002, 10:04 AM

Originally posted by mmurray:
Now that I have sorted out all the little problems and got the UNIX stuff working again so I am functional I am comparing my computing experience now with yesterday with 10.1.5. Its not that much different. I am on a PB G4 400 so no quartz extreme and no .mac - maybe thats the problem.

For me (and obviously for others it will be different) here are the improvements.

(1) spring loaded folders - welcome back

(2) battery/non-battery energy saver settings - welcome back

(3) airport software base station - welcome back

(4) ftp in finder - that will be handy but I haven't been game
to try it as others report it crashes. This will be neat but I already
own interarchy so - neat but not new functionality for me.

(5) its a bit snappier (sorry) but its just had a clean install and an optimize so maybe thats the cause of that

(6) printer sharing - that will be useful and new functionality in my airport network at home

(7) `free' T-shirt

So what did I pay $229 AUST for ? (Actually I got an edu discount
and its not my money but thats beside the point.) Its hard to get excited about

The most useful thing so far has been (7). Summer is coming up here and I need a few T-shirts. A touch pricey by my usual standards though :-)

Michael

If you recomiple the Unix stuff, you'll get 10-25% speed increases.
Try using Jag for a few days and then switch back to 10.1.5 and you'll notice the difference. I didn't think there was much of a difference untill I switched back.
Dan

mmurray  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2002, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
OS 9 had all the functionality that OS X 10.2 has? Hardly. That is the overstament of the year.
That wasn't what I meant. Sorry if it sound like that. I was just refering
the spring-loaded folders, energy saver settings and airport
software base station. All new in 10.2 but they were already
there in 9.

I am not suggesting 10 is no improvement over 9. 10
is wonderful. Not so sure about 10.1.5 -> 10.2.

Michael

mmurray  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2002, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by DannyVTim:

If you recomiple the Unix stuff, you'll get 10-25% speed increases.
Try using Jag for a few days and then switch back to 10.1.5 and you'll notice the difference. I didn't think there was much of a difference untill I switched back.
OK. Thanks. I am just waiting for Fink to get updated and I will
redo all that stuff.

Michael

mmurray  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2002, 10:18 AM

Actually I forgot - I like the new boot screen and the new font smoothing is growing on me :-)

I also got brave and tried the ftp. Mistake. It just hangs. I had
to reboot, fsck a few times and cross my fingers it wasn't really
fscked. Seems to be OK.

Michael

DannyVTim
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2002, 10:46 AM

Actually I forgot - I like the new boot screen and the new font smoothing is growing on me :-)

I also got brave and tried the ftp. Mistake. It just hangs. I had
to reboot, fsck a few times and cross my fingers it wasn't really
fscked. Seems to be OK.

Michael

It hangs if you use it with a log in, but if you uise it on an anyimous sites it works. Try ftp://ftp.apple.com

I think the differences also are most noticable with the laggyness of the previous OSs. Selecting a folder full of files results in less wait time before the list appears. The same is true for many operations like contextual menus etc.
Dan

NeoMac
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2002, 11:50 AM

10.2 is a big step in the right direction for OSX. But not until v10.3 or v10.4 will OSX show some serious fit and polish. It's what I look forward too.

One things for sure, I'll take OS10 over OS9 any day.

"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2002, 01:03 PM

Its hard to get excited about

MacOS X was re-written from scratch, you idiot. Give them some time, will you?

Everyone is exciting about jaguar except you so you must be... odd

Sean2068
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2002, 01:14 PM

It's right what he's saying though. Take away the features that were already their in OS9 and your not left with an a massive amount.

Sounds like a lot of people in here are trying to justify the money they just handed over.

Nathan Adams
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2002, 01:15 PM

mmurray - where did you get your edu version from?
I went into Next Byte off rundle mall and they had NO edu copies. Everysingle copy was at the glen osmand rd store, which closed at 1. I of course was there at 1.30. so, now, since the tool wouldnt give me a copy for edu price (even though he said, they are 100% identical), I have to wait till monday.
which means i wont get to install it till something like 8.30pm, because I'm going to that big Apple seminar at the convention centre.

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Aug 24, 2002, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by Sean2068:
It's right what he's saying though. Take away the features that were already their in OS9 and your not left with an a massive amount.

Sounds like a lot of people in here are trying to justify the money they just handed over.
Jaguar is a refinement of Mac OS X that really does add some very cool things; some under the hood, some visible to users. Off of the top of my head, here are things I like about 10.2:

-- Mail.app is much improved, and the junkmail filter works quite well once it has been trained for a week or two

-- iChat is actually pretty nice (I thought I'd hate the eye-candy), though it does have some issues -- but the integration of the AddressBook, iChat, Mail, and other apps is pretty nice actually

-- Speed -- Jaguar is faster than 10.1 -- not by the same margin that 10.1 was compared to 10.0, but it certainly does have a speed boost

-- The new, more modern BSD layer, with support for IPv6, and other such technologies is nice for a wirehead like me

-- The Finder's multithreadedness makes it much more usable for remote file servers, and it has other nice tweaks that make it easier to get along with

-- The built-in Windows file sharing is very welcome, and much improved over 10.1

-- The built-in firewall is very cool as well

-- Rendezvous is very nice -- it is bringing the ease of use of AppleTalk to TCP/IP -- we put it into one of our games (pop-pop), so you can automatically find other people on your LAN who are running the game. Many other programs will be using Rendezvous in the future, making things "just work" on LANs where annoying configuration was required in the past

-- The new font smoothing options are nice; being able to pick what style looks best to your eyes

-- The "digital hub" refinements are nice too -- you can define what happens when any digital device is plugged into your machine

-- Quartz Extreme does indeed speed things up a bit, and provides an interesting foundation for future technologies

That's off of the top of my head -- and no, I'm not trying to justify the money I spent on the upgrade, because I didn't purchase the upgrade (select developers get it gratis). Overall it is definitely an improvement, though I still think Apple should have offered a discount for people who had OS X 10.0 or 10.1 -- though realistically, we've been getting free upgrades for what, two years now?
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

itistoday
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2002, 02:52 PM

OK. Thanks. I am just waiting for Fink to get updated and I will
redo all that stuff.

Michael
Uh, fink has been updated, you just need the cvs unstable tree.

rw
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2002, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
you idiot
Is this really necessary? I'm interested in hearing all opinions and impressions, whether they agree with mine or not. The post that started this thread made good sense and was not stupid at all.

By the way, it's not quite true that OS X was built "from scratch". It is based on Next and Apple technology that's been around for a long time. And anyway, the "give them some time" excuse is wearing really thin. We pay good money for Apple's products; we have a right to expect the products to be good.

stefls
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2002, 04:10 PM

"Everyone is exciting about jaguar except you so you must be... odd"

Sure, sure.

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2002, 06:55 PM

Give Apple some time.

It's only been a couple of years.

What's one more year?
*empty space*

mmurray  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2002, 07:18 PM

If you look at this thread

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=119990

I think you will find other odd people -- we are everywhere, ha ha ha ha ...

If I had never seen 10.1 but just got 10.2 on top of 10.0 I would be blown away. But basically I really enjoyed using 10.1.5 and the change is not as dramatic as 10.0 to 10.1.

If I had known I might not have rearranged my familiy's Saturday to get it and install it but would have just waited until Monday. But maybe I would have missed the T-shirt :-)

Thanks everyone for all the other comments and the background on the `under the hood' stuff.

Michael

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2002, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by rw:
Is this really necessary? I'm interested in hearing all opinions and impressions, whether they agree with mine or not. The post that started this thread made good sense and was not stupid at all.

By the way, it's not quite true that OS X was built "from scratch". It is based on Next and Apple technology that's been around for a long time. And anyway, the "give them some time" excuse is wearing really thin. We pay good money for Apple's products; we have a right to expect the products to be good.
Do you know how 1,000 programmers at Apple will feel if they read a message that said 10.2 is underwhelmed? They WORKED their ass off (some worked more than their work hours) just to make people happy.

In case you didn't know, you can always return Jaguar and get your money back if you are still underwhelmed by it.

Sorry if I'm being rude but people NEED to learn how to pay some respect for anyone's hard-work. "A simple thank you is all I want" Robert DeNiro in The Fan

fulmer
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2002, 09:34 PM

I for one am excited about jaguar. Haven't had the chance to try it, however: FedEx was supposed to deliver it Friday. It never came. Was on the truck for delivery early AM on Friday.

their site shows attempted delivery at 18:29, but that's crap. No one came by my place, and even if they did, they would have left a little form saying so.

I have a feeling that it was late afternoon/early evening on a Friday, and the driver didn't feel like coming by my house in the boonies. He just chalked it up to 'attempted delivery, no one home' and knew that customer service wouldn't believe me (which they didn't).

that, or he went to the wrong address (inconceivable, considering they've been here on a number of occasions before).

undotwa
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2002, 09:42 PM

I certainly welcome the new additions to the OS and the massive speed boost. For me, 10.2 was worth every penny.
In vino veritas.

Lordx_
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2002, 10:04 PM

Adam: No matter how hard to try and tell people that they will still piss and moan that is't not up to par with OS 9. Even though it's a BRAND NEW OS

Glennfield
Aug 24, 2002, 10:10 PM

It's funny, but 10.2 doesn't seem particularly faster than 10.1 on my G4/dual450, even given that I'm using a QE-compatible video card (Radeon8500). Then again, I had no complaints about the speed of 10.1 - heck, I was quite content with the speed of 10.0 - so I guess I'm just ... odd.
"A scientist can discover a new star but he cannot make one. He would have to ask an engineer to do it for him."

raviruddarraju
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2002, 11:06 PM

Michael
iChat, Mail, Rendez-vous, Sherlock (inside US), "open-with" for files, folder movements (open-close) when dragged over, FTP (when fixed) etc.

There isn't as good FTP thingy in any OS like we will have in OS 10 (when it is fixed). I think these are good improvements. I am overly-underwhelmed by your comments.

- Ravi
- Ravi

mmurray  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2002, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by raviruddarraju:

iChat, Mail, Rendez-vous, Sherlock (inside US), "open-with" for files, folder movements (open-close) when dragged over, FTP (when fixed) etc.

There isn't as good FTP thingy in any OS like we will have in OS 10 (when it is fixed). I think these are good improvements. I am overly-underwhelmed by your comments.

- Ravi
I don't understand why one person not being overly excited by OS 10.2 is such a big deal. Its just a question of what you use.

iChat - not interested

Mail - I use Eudora

Rendezvous - sounds cool

Sherlock - as you say inside the US - I'm not.

"open-with" for files, folder movements (open-close) when dragged over, FTP (when fixed) etc.

These things are cool.

-- Michael

mmurray  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2002, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by Lordx_:

Adam: No matter how hard to try and tell people that they will still piss and moan that is't not up to par with OS 9. Even though it's a BRAND NEW OS
Read the whole thread - I didn't say it wasn't up to par with 9. Its a lot
better than 9. I never really cared about the `its not as fast
as 9 issue' the increased functionality and good looks always won with
me.

If you find you moan when you piss I suggest a doctor.

Michael

mmurray  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2002, 11:54 PM

Do you know how 1,000 programmers at Apple will feel if they read a message that said 10.2 is underwhelmed? They WORKED their ass off (some worked more than their work hours) just to make people happy.

In case you didn't know, you can always return Jaguar and get your money back if you are still underwhelmed by it.

Sorry if I'm being rude but people NEED to learn how to pay some respect for anyone's hard-work. "A simple thank you is all I want" Robert DeNiro in The Fan
I guess its a good thing I wasn't so rude as to call them idiots ;-) they might have got really upset. Seriously they are producing a product for sale - they have to expect it to be judged on its merits not on the amount of hard work they put in. I am sure they worked hard - getting something like a complete OS out the door to a deadline must be a nightmare.

I guess I was expecting a level of excitement like when I booted into 10.1
for the first time. Suddenly 10 didn't just look good -- it felt good! If I had thought about it much I would have realised most of the changes are under the hood so aren't going to be immediately obvious.

Michael

raviruddarraju
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2002, 12:10 AM

I guess I was expecting a level of excitement like when I booted into 10.1
for the first time. Suddenly 10 didn't just look good -- it felt good! If I had thought about it much I would have realised most of the changes are under the hood so aren't going to be immediately obvious.

Michael
"Totally underwhelmed" sounds too bad. 10 was exciting not because it had all the "features" in 9, probably (IMHO) because of unix migration. I don't see how you will again get that kind of an excitement frequently. I think it is too much to expect an excitement from 10.1 to 10.2, that rivals excitment from 9 to 10.1. Major innovations are hard to get.
- Ravi

himself
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2002, 12:11 AM

I don't understand why one person not being overly excited by OS 10.2 is such a big deal. Its just a question of what you use.
I guess it's human nature for folks to complain about anything when there is something available to complain about (no matter how trivial).

If it helps any, I understand that the current retail version on 10.2 isn't "complete" anyway (it is acutaully build 6c115a, not 6c115), so a lot of the expected features aren't fully implemented right now (I would guess that ftp-in-finder is one of those incomplete features). expect an update (or two) from apple soon.

dhanushan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2002, 12:19 AM

I have one advise for those who are underwhelmed...

Leave the Mac community and buy yourself a Wintel machine! But I certainly wouldn't want to hear your frustrations after that...

The problem isn't that you complain or critize..it's just that it isn't very constructive.. You have two choices when you have such frustrations:

1. Develop an OS yourself so that you can have ALL your WANTS.

2. Or send feedback back to Apple and let them know which features work and which don't. If enough people do it, they will make changes in the next version.

Sure enough people complain in this forum... but I'm sure that Apple doesn't scout through MacNN forums looking for ideas. This forum should really about discussing the OS (eg. features, workarounds, tips and tricks) not complaining about it.

D-

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 25, 2002, 12:36 AM

I'm totally underwhelmed as well.

The features I wanted the most don't work.
ftp in finder doesn't work (not counting sftp not even existing), and I don't care what anyone says, my windows machine doesn't show up when I browse the network.
Add to that that disk quotas, which I thought had been said to be in 10.2 aren't there, and that everyone has yelled at me not to do an upgrade because it breaks everything (am I the only one who can't just start formatting systems every 3 months?) and also that some things just don't work right anymore, and it sure is a disappointment. I for one will probably request a refund until this stuff starts working properly.
It just isn't worth the $200 that it cost.

And Adam, it's nice that 1000 programmers worked on it, but maybe they should first learn how to program well before they work on it.

edit: oh, and I sure don't appreciate the "it's people like you who shouldn't be using macs" statement.
( Last edited by Scotttheking; Aug 25, 2002 at 12:49 AM. )
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2002, 12:37 AM

No, they work to earn their paychecks. I'm sure the Apple programmers feel they could've done better if they'd had more time. That's the way it is when you have deadlines to meet. In any event, if Apple's programmers don't want their feelings hurt this is the last place they should be.

News to me ... most businesses don't accept returns on opened software.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2002, 01:16 AM

Originally posted by Nonsuch:
News to me ... most businesses don't accept returns on opened software.
Heh, some stores accepted returns on opened software only if you have a receipt and returned within 30 days. Also with a very good reason

For those who think that Finder isn't much, here's a short comment from Apple's website:

Some of the enhancements to the Finder in Jaguar are obvious the second you look at a Finder window, and others become obvious as soon as you begin to use it.
dhanushan's right... if you tried Windows, you'll be so under-under-whelmed. So cut the whining and make them useful (ie: post them in Apple's Feedback page. FYI, they do listen )

mmurray  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2002, 01:20 AM

Originally posted by dhanushan:
I have one advise for those who are underwhelmed...

Leave the Mac community and buy yourself a Wintel machine! But I certainly wouldn't want to hear your frustrations after that...

The problem isn't that you complain or critize..it's just that it isn't very constructive.. You have two choices when you have such frustrations:

1. Develop an OS yourself so that you can have ALL your WANTS.

2. Or send feedback back to Apple and let them know which features work and which don't. If enough people do it, they will make changes in the next version.

Sure enough people complain in this forum... but I'm sure that Apple doesn't scout through MacNN forums looking for ideas. This forum should really about discussing the OS (eg. features, workarounds, tips and tricks) not complaining about it.

D-
Why should I develop an OS that satisfies all my wants when I had one called 10.1.5. Actually 10.2 also satisfies all my wants as well as it is
everything 10.1.5 had and a little bit more. My only comment was that I thought the bit more wasn't that exciting - from my perspective. The world being the shape it is I must have been one of the early people to get a packaged copy and I thought people would be interested in early impressions. We have spent a lot of time here debating what it was
going to be like or what early builds were like. I had no intention of being constructive or destructive. There is another
thread on this list on basically the same topic. It seems to interest people.
Maybe if you don't like this forum you could set up your own server and get exactly the forum you want ;-)

Getting back on topic I have to say after another days use I do keep
finding things that are neat in 10.2 but they are often a little hidden. That might be because I kept all my own pref's by doing the archive and restore. Like the search window in the finder which didn't appear until I went looking for it in Customize Toolbar.

Michael
(whose waiting for someone to suggest he is really an M$ employee)

Xhabbo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2002, 01:33 AM

I'm really tired of people bitching about how 10.2 is either not what they expected or that it costs too much. While it may not have some of the extremely specific features that seemed to be a life or death issue to some people, the technological groundwork for the future has been laid with 10.2. I think that some of the technologies are extremely promising (namely Rendevous). So anyway, if a feature that you have been dying to get with 10.2 hasn't arrived with this upgrade you have some options-

1. Die.
2. Switch to linux and MAKE the feature that you want.

Seriously, who says that programmers can't program just when they don't get the feature they wanted. Sheesh.

No one says you have to use it.
-Xhabbo

mmurray  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2002, 01:52 AM

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some of the enhancements to the Finder in Jaguar are obvious the second you look at a Finder window, and others become obvious as soon as you begin to use it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually its a little trickier than this as I commented in another post. If you do
the archive and restore option its resets your Toolbar options to what they were before so you don't see the neat things like the Search in Finder.

Maybe we need a thread on hidden features in 10.2 ?

Michael

Currawong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2002, 02:02 AM

Originally posted by rw:

Oh yes, I WANT IT MY WAY AND I WANT IT NOW AND I WANT IT PERFECT WITH NO BUGS AND COSTING ONLY $1.

I suggest going out and starting your own company to write an OS. I still find it annoying that people expect a hugely complex piece of software to be perfect and have all the features they want straight away. Apple could throw in all the features possible, but it would just end up buggy like Windows. Which would you rather? A carefully developed OS or a bloated and buggy one?

Apple doesn't consist of miracle workers...they can't just flick their fingers and whatever you want is there.

PipelineStall
Aug 25, 2002, 02:12 AM

And Adam, it's nice that 1000 programmers worked on it, but maybe they should first learn how to program well before they work on it.
I can appreciate that you have valid concerns with Mac OS X, and you are certainly entitled to state them. But I consider the statement that Apple's developers don't know how to program well, to be out of line as far as this discussion is concerned.

I'm a former Apple employee who had a hand in developing Jaguar. I'm not going to judge my own software development ability (as that will obviously be biased ); but I know people at Apple who are absolutely amazing developers. (And of course, I know some that are not).

I don't think you can make a gross generalization as you did above based on a few bugs you have experienced. All "1000" developers didn't work on Finder ftp or SMB (probably 2 or 3 did - each of whom probably had numerous other responsibilities for Jaguar). Disk quotas were probably assigned to somebody, but was a low priority feature and the assignee didn't have time for it. I'm not excusing these omissions or bugs, but there are more cogent ways to express your opinions rather than insulting the people who worked on the product.

I know that I'm probably taking your words a little too literally (undoubtedly said in anger after paying $129 for a product which was not worth your money). But I feel that I have to say *something* after spending many a day bleary eyed in front of gdb at 2 in the morning; and then hearing my talents slighted.

El Pre$idente
Banned
Aug 25, 2002, 03:34 AM

Fanatics.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 25, 2002, 03:40 AM

Originally posted by PipelineStall:

I can appreciate that you have valid concerns with Mac OS X, and you are certainly entitled to state them. But I consider the statement that Apple's developers don't know how to program well, to be out of line as far as this discussion is concerned.

I'm a former Apple employee who had a hand in developing Jaguar. I'm not going to judge my own software development ability (as that will obviously be biased ); but I know people at Apple who are absolutely amazing developers. (And of course, I know some that are not).

I don't think you can make a gross generalization as you did above based on a few bugs you have experienced. All "1000" developers didn't work on Finder ftp or SMB (probably 2 or 3 did - each of whom probably had numerous other responsibilities for Jaguar). Disk quotas were probably assigned to somebody, but was a low priority feature and the assignee didn't have time for it. I'm not excusing these omissions or bugs, but there are more cogent ways to express your opinions rather than insulting the people who worked on the product.

I know that I'm probably taking your words a little too literally (undoubtedly said in anger after paying $129 for a product which was not worth your money). But I feel that I have to say *something* after spending many a day bleary eyed in front of gdb at 2 in the morning; and then hearing my talents slighted.
Ok, a lot of the programmers did a poor job.
I mean, ftp in the finder locking the system?
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 25, 2002, 03:52 AM

I never heard of the FTP in the finder locking their system bug, I wonder just how people have been effected.....

I know there was lame corrupt pirate images going around that was funky.

Not that I installed one or anything... :o

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2002, 03:56 AM

Originally posted by PipelineStall:
What happened? Did you got fired or something? I'm just curious

El Pre$idente
Banned
Aug 25, 2002, 04:03 AM

Curious? Is that why you walk like that?

mmurray  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2002, 04:08 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
I never heard of the FTP in the finder locking their system bug, I wonder just how people have been effected.....

I know there was lame corrupt pirate images going around that was funky.

Not that I installed one or anything... :o
I think it happens when you try and connect to an ftp site
that needs a username and password. Well thats when it
happened to me and what I have seen others post.

I had to reboot so if you try it do it at your own risk :-(

Michael

OreoCookie
Aug 25, 2002, 04:56 AM

Jagwire has many under-the-hood feature enhancements that are exciting (at least for me they are). CUPS, GCC 3.1 (finally!), Rendezvous, ...

It's a long way, but I think the speed of development is amazing. Most of the speed complaints are due to a lack of CPU horsepower.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

PipelineStall
Aug 25, 2002, 12:05 PM

No, I voluntarily left the company to pursue my Masters' degree (full-time). I think I was getting into a bit of a rut career-wise.

stew
Senior User
Aug 25, 2002, 12:50 PM

Yeah.
He's odd. He's a rebell. A troublemaker. A sqare peg in a round hole. He's thinking different. Apple doesn't want people like that.

Stink different.

Forum Links
Forum Rules