Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Bootable CD for Jaguar is ready

Bootable CD for Jaguar is ready
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2002, 11:48 AM

You can all stop e-mailing me now!

http://www.charlessoft.com/BootCD.dmg

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2002, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:

Thanks for all your hard work....judging by the number of threads that ask for boot cd's this will be a popular download.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

snerdini
Senior User
Oct 4, 2002, 12:30 PM

Isn't it just as easy as creating a CD/DVD Master .dmg from the Jag CD's? Then burn them...that's how I did it. They booted fine.

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2002, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
Thanks for all your hard work....judging by the number of threads that ask for boot cd's this will be a popular download.
Not to mention the flood of e-mails asking "When is the release date for the new version?" "Hurry up!" "It is URGENT that I make a boot CD within the next few days!" "Could you e-mail me when the new version is done?" "BootCD Jag Update PLEAES!!!"

Now I can relax........

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2002, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by snerdini:
Isn't it just as easy as creating a CD/DVD Master .dmg from the Jag CD's? Then burn them...that's how I did it. They booted fine.
You can do that, but you won't be booting into the Finder, running Drive10, etc.

snerdini
Senior User
Oct 4, 2002, 12:37 PM

I see. How do you boot to the Finder from the original Jag CD's? Never tried it...

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2002, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by snerdini:
I see. How do you boot to the Finder from the original Jag CD's? Never tried it...
That's just it... you can't. The purpose of BootCD is to make a CD that will boot to the Finder and Dock, since the install discs won't.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2002, 01:14 PM

Now I can relax........
Relax? No way! It's still only at v0.5....we want a complete 1.0 release so we can complain about a minor bug and get you working on 1.0.1......relax? Ha! We'll never let you get away with that!
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2002, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
Relax? No way! It's still only at v0.5....we want a complete 1.0 release so we can complain about a minor bug and get you working on 1.0.1......relax? Ha! We'll never let you get away with that!
LOL

MacLone
Oct 4, 2002, 02:02 PM

By the way, have you resolved how to make Norton Utilities work with this boot cd?
I have tried before but could not get my hard drives mounted and program was half working because the lot of stuff here and there.

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2002, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by MacLone:

By the way, have you resolved how to make Norton Utilities work with this boot cd?
I have tried before but could not get my hard drives mounted and program was half working because the lot of stuff here and there.
Unfortunately, no. I had planned to work with some testers that had Norton to see if we could get this figured out, but things went much more slowly than I had planned, and I didn't want to delay the release any longer.

If you would be willing to help me test this, I would be grateful. The disk mounting should no longer be an issue with v0.5 (knock on wood), so it is certainly worth another try.

If you want to test, give me an e-mail at support (at) charlessoft (dot) com.

The Milkman
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2002, 11:08 AM

Great work! Works perfectly.
One question: is the CD you create only supposed to boot the same (type of) computer you made it with? I created it on my iBook (dual USB 500) and it works, when I try to boot the iMac (DVSE 400) it hangs before the login screen (blue screen and mouse pointer).
Thanks,
Mm.
Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.
Oscar Wilde

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2002, 11:13 AM

Milkman: What you describe is a problem that I've had some other reports of - could you please contact me by e-mail?

My e-mail address is support (at) charlessoft (dot) com.

Thanks,
Charles

Oct 8, 2002, 01:10 PM

Very nice app! I can't believe you don't sell it retail.
PC's are Feces!!!!

GJH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2002, 02:45 AM

Charles,
I downloaded your programme. After I made an image as instructed, I burned a cd with disk copy. When I tried to boot from this new cd, it appears to start but after 15 minutes I am left with a blue screen and an occasional spinning beachball. Is there a way to proceed? I am using system 10.2.1.

Cheers,

GJH
There is only one direction....forward!

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2002, 03:42 AM

Originally posted by GJH:
Charles,
I downloaded your programme. After I made an image as instructed, I burned a cd with disk copy. When I tried to boot from this new cd, it appears to start but after 15 minutes I am left with a blue screen and an occasional spinning beachball. Is there a way to proceed? I am using system 10.2.1.

Cheers,

GJH
This is a known bug that some people have been experiencing. Hopefully I'll figure out what's going on and fix it sometime.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2002, 02:54 PM

I have a weird issue w/this. I was using Carbon Copy Cloner to back up my internal Powerbook drive to a firewire, then wanted to boot from BootCD in order to reformat my main HD and use CCC to restore the backup. The problem is, when I unmount my internal drive, Terminal doesn't display properly.

I copied my old Terminal prefs to the ram disk, and it still displays a window only about as big as the close widget. When I hit cmd-I to change the font for my term window, the font listed is always (null) 0.0pt. If I try to pick a font, I get the list of fonts from my HD instead of what's actually in the CD's /System/Fonts folder..

Seen this before, anyone?

thanks. y.

P.S.: I should mention that I can't boot from the firewire drive 'cause it's on a Lombard w/a PC Card, that I already erased my internal drive, and that CCC gives me a cryptic error msg (about a missing error msg)..

AliP
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2002, 03:13 PM

I'm probably extremely stoopid but... looked at the thread thought this looks like a good idea, so downloads it via the link and bang problem.
how do i use it when i double clicked on the image i got an error message.
So how do i use the app to make a bootable CD?
Thanks in advance.
KRO
Ali P
"Keep it simple he's from Birmingham"

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2002, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by slugslugslug:
I have a weird issue w/this. I was using Carbon Copy Cloner to back up my internal Powerbook drive to a firewire, then wanted to boot from BootCD in order to reformat my main HD and use CCC to restore the backup. The problem is, when I unmount my internal drive, Terminal doesn't display properly.

I copied my old Terminal prefs to the ram disk, and it still displays a window only about as big as the close widget. When I hit cmd-I to change the font for my term window, the font listed is always (null) 0.0pt. If I try to pick a font, I get the list of fonts from my HD instead of what's actually in the CD's /System/Fonts folder..

Seen this before, anyone?

thanks. y.

P.S.: I should mention that I can't boot from the firewire drive 'cause it's on a Lombard w/a PC Card, that I already erased my internal drive, and that CCC gives me a cryptic error msg (about a missing error msg)..
The author of CCC sent me an e-mail a while ago notifying me that his utility needs /usr/sbin/vsdbutil to be present in order to work. You might want to try putting that file on the CD.

As for your Terminal problem, that's really weird. I don't know what could be causing that. Is it getting the fonts from all the folders on the hard drive, or just its /System/Library/Fonts folder?

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2002, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by AliP:
I'm probably extremely stoopid but... looked at the thread thought this looks like a good idea, so downloads it via the link and bang problem.
how do i use it when i double clicked on the image i got an error message.
So how do i use the app to make a bootable CD?
Thanks in advance.
KRO
Ali P
"Keep it simple he's from Birmingham"
Are you referring to the image for BootCD itself or the image that BootCD creates?

OpenStep
Senior User
Oct 31, 2002, 07:41 PM

Exellent

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Oct 31, 2002, 11:40 PM

Err... wait a moment, I made a Jaguar boot CD with BootCD about two weeks ago... apparently someone forgot to tell my copy it didn't work under Jaguar...?

(but not in a bad way!)

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2002, 02:20 AM

Originally posted by Phoenix1701:
Err... wait a moment, I made a Jaguar boot CD with BootCD about two weeks ago... apparently someone forgot to tell my copy it didn't work under Jaguar...?

(but not in a bad way!)
If you look at when this thread was started, it was almost four weeks ago, when the 10.2-compatible version of BootCD was introduced. Slugslugslug resurrected the thread.

Forum Links
Forum Rules