Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17 inch, I changed my opinion

17 inch, I changed my opinion
Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 22, 2003, 01:21 AM

My computer was acting funny, still is, so I started doing shopping for a new one. Sure mine works fine for most of my tasks, but I can't run Final Cut Pro 4.

anway, when the 17 inch first came out, I wasn't excited. To me that was too big.

I played with it a few times and it just didn't do anything for me. I was still in love with the Ti.

But I just played with it the other day and all of a sudden I liked it.

I used to think the notebooks with bigger screens where for some reason harder to type on. But I felt that the 17 inch was sweet, and that keyboard kicks ass.

AFter writing all day on my 12 inch iBook, I think I'm half blind staring at the screen.

I really need to get a 15inch or 17inch. If that 17inch could drop into the 2800 dollar range I would probably buy it now.

But I do think the new 15 inch would be sweet, althought I'm a big worried about buying the first version of it.

Maybe the TIbooks will drop in price ever more. They are still awesome, awesome machines. I just don't like the connections in the back and that new keyboard is to die for.

Just wanted to say, unlike most, I wasn't all over the 17inch. For I dont' think it is really portable, it is just easier to move. To me anything about 15 isnt' really portable.

But I have a situation where I only have a small space and my girlfreind doesn't want me to have a huge desktop taking up space and a huge monitor taking up space, so being able to have a 17 inch screen, but being able to close the lid and have a nice clean desk is ideal.

I think the notebook was made for people like me. Not for actually taking to school or notes on the train. But for people at home that want a compact desktop replacement.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2003, 03:19 AM

tritonus
Senior User
Aug 22, 2003, 11:34 AM

So get the 17" then. You won't regret it. Ti will be gone soon.
SwitCHerland, Europe
17" PowerBook 1GHz | WaterField SleeveCase | LaCie d2 250GB | AirPort Extreme BS, AirPort Express | iPod photo 60GB

j0nkatz
Aug 22, 2003, 11:54 AM

Yeah I sold my 12" PB because I *thought* I needed ultra portability. I didn't! I bought the 17" hoping it wouldn't be too large to tug along when I needed to. It wasn't. I don't see how I have lived without this thing.

Kyle, if you see this post, yes, you told me so. You were correct.

djjava
Senior User
Aug 22, 2003, 12:04 PM

no one has ever complained about the 17". it is a near flawless machine. Seriously.... if it isn't too big for you, it's an absolutely wonderful machine. a RevB won't make the 17" any less beautiful or useful. It's fabulous.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

hexor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2003, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by Mallrat:

I really need to get a 15inch or 17inch. If that 17inch could drop into the 2800 dollar range I would probably buy it now.
http://www.smalldog.com has refurbished 17 inchers with 1Gb of ram for $3100.

dwalls32
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2003, 12:37 PM

I just opened my new 17" (after waiting all summer for supposed new pbooks), and am glad I have it. Wish I had it sooner. It is AMAZING. My first Apple, and I now realize why their fans are so dedicated.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2003, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by dwalls32:
I just opened my new 17" (after waiting all summer for supposed new pbooks), and am glad I have it. Wish I had it sooner. It is AMAZING. My first Apple, and I now realize why their fans are so dedicated.

Welcome to Macintosh.

-s*

beachmark
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2003, 02:33 PM

I got my 17inch now for a few weeks and I love it. I have had multiple portables before and even still have a 15inch Centrino, but for Final Cut the 17inch is the machine.

In regard to size: it is not that much bigger and it is almost similar in weight to portables of 18 months ago. In fact the 15inch Centrino that I have (Travelmate800) is almost bigger in size.

So anybody considering a 17inch? Do no longer consider, act and become one happy owner and, even more important, user.
g.r.e.e.t.i.n.g.s
mark ®
hanging out in san francisco - wellington - cape town (or in between)
Powerbook 17 inch MacOS 10.4.3Eng • Palm E2 • Motorola Razr • iPod Flash 1Gb • iPod mini 2nd-4Gb

Forum Links
Forum Rules