Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.3.2 Out via software update

10.3.2 Out via software update (Page 2)
chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2003, 12:29 AM

I use Macaroni to run the scripts automatically at the appropriate times. I know autocron can do it, but Macaroni is simpler, and cheap too (not as cheap as free, though).

Chris

KraziKid
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2003, 12:38 AM

Originally posted by schk:
from terminal:

sudo periodic daily
sudo periodic weekly
sudo periodic monthly

I tried those after the update, but my boot up is still slow and getting the beachball before dock loads up.
For some reason sudo periodic weekly won't complete for me. I have tried repairing permisions, but that just hangs on the terminal window.

EDIT: Also,when I was running 10.3.1, it only took 14 turns of the thingy during bootup, now it takes 23. I really liked 10.0.1, but I already installed the battery update, so I don't think I can go back without some problems (I have no idea). This is my first mac, and I was always under the impression that each release is usually less buggy and faster/ Does anyone have any suggestions?

RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2003, 12:43 AM

Originally posted by KraziKid:
For some reason sudo periodic weekly won't complete for me. I have tried repairing permisions, but that just hangs on the terminal window.
It may take a while, let it finnish.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2003, 01:05 AM

I tried those after the update, but my boot up is still slow and getting the beachball before dock loads up.
No problems here on either of my computers: 867 MHz QuickSilver G4 or 1 GHz Ti Powerbook G4.

The machines boot up just as fast as they always have.

No changes in fan behavior on my laptop, either.

KraziKid
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2003, 01:10 AM

Confirmed slower boot times:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...5&pagenumber=5

My Powerbook is slightly faster at boot up. I also have never heard a fan on my powerbook, pre or post update.

mcsjgs
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2003, 01:18 AM

Tracked down sleep problem to some sort of extension conflict (shades of OS 9).

Rebooted in Safe Boot mode (hold down shift key). Reinstalled update. Rebooted in Safe Mode. Put to sleep. Responds properly to keyboard wakeup but no response to Kensington trackball movement. So it looks as if it is not Apple's fault, but perhaps the trackball or other extension loaded at boot.

Boot times still slower.
Suicide Bombers: That never-say-die spirit. No, that's not right.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Dec 18, 2003, 01:19 AM

Confirmed?

"Hello, what have we here?

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2003, 01:28 AM

The only problem I seem to have on my 12" rev b powerbook is that 10.3.2 broke uControl, and it refuses to reinstall as it states that I am not using 10.3.X .

Oh well, it should be fixed soon enough.

ntt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2003, 01:52 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Same here, that's wild. So what is "new" with Mail.app anyway?
Changes appear to be subtle.
Only one's I've spotted are the ability to bounce messages, and view message source (which I believe used to be available as an applescript).
These features could've been there before. As I said, changes appear subtle.

--
ntt

THE MAC GOD
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2003, 01:55 AM

Ok... so I don't notice JACK in the way of difference between the 3.1 and 3.2... oh well.

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Dec 18, 2003, 02:04 AM

Originally posted by The Jackalope:
The only problem I seem to have on my 12" rev b powerbook is that 10.3.2 broke uControl, and it refuses to reinstall as it states that I am not using 10.3.X .

Oh well, it should be fixed soon enough.
uControl 1.4 (the latest version) works fine (great) in 10.3.2.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Dec 18, 2003, 02:19 AM

Originally posted by THE MAC GOD:
Ok... so I don't notice JACK in the way of difference between the 3.1 and 3.2... oh well.
It is probably just bug fixes. I would get lock ups when some pdf's were attached. Hope that is fixed.

"Hello, what have we here?

dtriska
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 02:59 AM

Originally posted by ntt:
Changes appear to be subtle.
Only one's I've spotted are the ability to bounce messages, and view message source (which I believe used to be available as an applescript).
These features could've been there before. As I said, changes appear subtle.
I can bounce messages and view raw source in 10.2.6.

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 03:04 AM

Well, during install I took a shower and put it on screensaver. Then it simply wouldn't get out of it.

So I had to wait a long time to make sure it had completed. Anyway, it's there.

Boot time increased massively, and the network bugs are not fixed afaik.
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 04:14 AM

The text Shadow bug on my 9800 G5 is half-ass fixed... still happens, but a little less and not as bad.

ALSO, the little lines under the non selected windows are STILL there ;-/
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

Moonray
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 05:58 AM

My Powerbook is slightly faster at boot up. I also have never heard a fan on my powerbook, pre or post update.
Macrumors confirms ... wuahahahah. Great joke.

-

TC
Senior User
Dec 18, 2003, 05:58 AM

Looks like web core has been updated as Safari is doing things differently. I now get link titles when I mouse over a link.
Very useful for MLDonkey since I can now see the data that comes back with search results.
Nothing to see, move along.

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 06:41 AM

Late '01 iBook 600...

Slooooooow boot times...I rebooted thrice to make sure.

holygoat
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2003, 06:53 AM

from terminal:

sudo periodic daily
sudo periodic weekly
sudo periodic monthly
You can also simply do

sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

to run them all at the same time.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2003, 06:53 AM

Late 2001 iBook 600 here and a little slower boot time. I have to say I didn't notice a change but now that you mention it it was a *bit* slower. 384MB RAM and 20GB HD, HFS+ journaled.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2003, 08:31 AM

Originally posted by TC:
Looks like web core has been updated as Safari is doing things differently. I now get link titles when I mouse over a link.
Very useful for MLDonkey since I can now see the data that comes back with search results.
Yep, it has...Hyatt posted a comment to one of this blog entries that states:

"The update to WebKit is very minor (a few key fixes and the title support). It does not contain any of the fixes I have been blogging about.

Posted by hyatt at December 17, 2003 06:24 PM"

jasong
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 09:10 AM

So far servers mounted through the network icon disconnect when told too. Previously, I would right click and choose eject, and they would stay until I either left the network (prompting a million "server is unavailable" messages) or rebooted.

Oh, I'm on a TiBook, no battery, performance, video, networking, mail, airport, or uControl issues. Not sure about boot times, because I so rarely reboot my laptop that I don't really care.

-- Jason

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2003, 09:17 AM

In case anyone cares, the bug that caused iTunes to lag a lot when switching from other app to it appears to be fixed in 10.3.2. yay!

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2003, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by fortepianissimo:
uControl 1.4 (the latest version) works fine (great) in 10.3.2.
Not for me it doesn't. I uninstalled Ucontrol 1.3.7 and tried to install 1.4, and the installer claims that I am not running 10.3.

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2003, 09:47 AM

Also, the sluggish behavior when a page has a lot of animated gifs seems fixed, or at least it is less noticiable.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2003, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by eevyl:
Also, the sluggish behavior when a page has a lot of animated gifs seems fixed, or at least it is less noticiable.
No wonder these forums are moving a little faster today...

kulverse
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2003, 09:53 AM

Still cannot connect via SMB to our Windows server. Though it worked fine in Jag

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2003, 09:58 AM

Longer Log-in time than usual it seems - also did I imagine it or does the menu bar slide down into place (like the dock) on log-in instead of just appearing like it used to.

Menu Extras seem to load before the menu bar - which looks a bit odd.

Halo launches and plays fine here (PB 17" 1GHz GeForce 4MX)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2003, 10:08 AM

I'm testing the update on my rev B 12" PowerBook.

Eveything as it used to be. Except: Memory. Jeeze! Looking at top and Activity Monitor I see that programs like Finder, Mail, Safari use much less memory when just idle. I have 768MB installed and logging in and starting these apps gives me still 75% *free* (I really mean free, not just inactive) memory. This figure used to be more like 45%.

I have no idea what caused the change and I don't know how good a sign that is... But, anyhow, it doesn't feel any different.

JLL
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2003, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
Longer Log-in time than usual it seems - also did I imagine it or does the menu bar slide down into place (like the dock) on log-in instead of just appearing like it used to.
The menu bar been doing that since 10.3.0 for me.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 10:26 AM

Originally posted by kulverse:
Still cannot connect via SMB to our Windows server. Though it worked fine in Jag
How are you trying to connect? SMB has worked fine through all Panther betas without any problems on 3 Macs I have in my office.
I use smb://[email protected] on several Win 2k servers.

kulverse
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2003, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by SMacTech:
How are you trying to connect? SMB has worked fine through all Panther betas without any problems on 3 Macs I have in my office.
I use smb://[email protected] on several Win 2k servers.
I've tried that way, and a few other ways.

None work. Says that my username and/or password is not correct, even though I can connect just fine on our scan station that uses Jaguar. I'm not doing a single thing different.

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2003, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by eevyl:
I noticed the same. Fast scrolling pages with lots of flash, graphics and stuff seems now much smoother (actually totally smooth).

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Dec 18, 2003, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
[B]also did I imagine it or does the menu bar slide down into place (like the dock) on log-in instead of just appearing like it used to.
It has done so since 10.3 but sometimes when I log in or out the meny bar icons load before the menu bar slides down. The outlines of the bar are visible and the shadow it casts but the texture is missing and slides down only after the icons in the menubar have loaded!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2003, 11:02 AM

Looks like I'll be sitting on my Panther CDs for a few months still. 10.2.3 is solid, so I don't see a pressing need to upgrade. <Conspiracy theory>Maybe iBook people are reporting massive slowdowns at boot because Apple purposely coded such a "feature" into 10.3.2. It's a great incentive to get a shiny new iBook G4, is it not?</Conspiracy theory> Not that I believe that's the case, no not even a little.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Ratm
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 11:03 AM

type into terminal input password (run one at a time) restart after updating prebinding
cron scripts
sudo periodic daily
sudo periodic weekly
sudo periodic monthly

repair permissions with terminal
sudo diskutil repairPermissions /

Updating the Prebinding
sudo update_prebinding -root / -force

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 11:27 AM

I've tried that way, and a few other ways.

None work. Says that my username and/or password is not correct, even though I can connect just fine on our scan station that uses Jaguar. I'm not doing a single thing different.
When you connect, does it list a 'mount_smbfs: tree connect phase failed: syserr = Permission denied'-error in your Console (console.log)?

Could you check if your IP ever gets in the logs of the server you are trying to connect? If not, then I guess we have the same problem.
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

lokjah
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2003, 11:30 AM

same thing on my end, glad to see it wasnt just my machine or the update.. 10.3.1 was lightning fast on my ghz tibook.

i wonder if stuff happens like this during optimization, can u get a shaky optimation?

l�k

Originally posted by gorickey:
I've noticed a big increase in the amount of time it takes to reboot/login/load the desktop and menus so far....I've restarted several times to make sure...that's disappointing, oh well....
iron sharpens iron

lokjah
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2003, 11:37 AM

gonna try that now

l�k

Originally posted by chabig:
After installation, the first boot was slow. But I ran the daily, weekly, and monthly scripts, and repaired permissions and all seems normal again.

Chris
( Last edited by lokjah; Dec 18, 2003 at 11:49 AM. )
iron sharpens iron

kulverse
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2003, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by Jerommeke:
When you connect, does it list a 'mount_smbfs: tree connect phase failed: syserr = Permission denied'-error in your Console (console.log)?

Could you check if your IP ever gets in the logs of the server you are trying to connect? If not, then I guess we have the same problem.
We have the same problem

KidRed
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2003, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by Footy:
Close call here!

During my update my Mac froze while the install was optimizing so I had to hard restart.

It was a little slow on the restart but it came back up I was still on 10.3.1.

I installed the update again and it went fine.

Scary situation but all seems fine.
Same here. It just stuck at 3/4 way optimizing and I hard restarted. I may have jumped the gun early when rebooting as it seemed like it wasn't going to boot. So I popped in 10.3 and reinstalled. I tried twice again, same thing, freeze during optimizing. So this time I'll give it a few minutes during reboot to see if its just really slow boot up.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

KidRed
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2003, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:
Same here. It just stuck at 3/4 way optimizing and I hard restarted. I may have jumped the gun early when rebooting as it seemed like it wasn't going to boot. So I popped in 10.3 and reinstalled. I tried twice again, same thing, freeze during optimizing. So this time I'll give it a few minutes during reboot to see if its just really slow boot up.
Nope. 4 times now with unsuccessful installs leaving me no choice but to reinstall 10.3. I have a gig Ti so there must be an issue somewhere.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Hobbes
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2003, 12:30 PM

Does anyone know if 10.3.2 fixes the security issue with DHCP and LDAP that was made public late last month?

rblanchette
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2003, 01:05 PM

Update seemed to load fine. Boot time is no slower than it usually is (it takes about a minute and a half). I don't use mail so I can't compare it to the old version. Performance seems a little snappier opening system preferences. Mozilla and Photoshop Elements are about the same.
Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 01:32 PM

We have the same problem
Pfehw. That feels good in a certain way, however fixing the problem would feel a lot better, I guess.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2003, 01:39 PM

Mail.app will now open a folder of new messages instantly - before it took a few seconds and had to index them. This is a *very* nice and welcome improvement!

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2003, 02:09 PM

Address Book and Mail enhancements

Mail moves messages marked as junk to the Junk mailbox more reliably.

In Address Book, you can now configure Exchange synchronization with either a hostname or full server URL, including a (https://) URL to automatically use SSL.

Improves syncing between Address Book and Microsoft Exchange.

You can now move an email to a different mailbox if you use an email server that previously didn't allow this.

Improves results when using Mail with a .Mac or IMAP account and an SSL connection.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25652
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2003, 02:17 PM

As a Rev A 12" PB owner I'm staying well away from this update. Too many bad news stories. For me the only downside with OS X is the increased amount of problems reported with each update compared to the older OS's.

I may do the battery update but even that scares me now!

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

not_too_shabby
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2003, 02:37 PM

It looks like finder burning for my MCE superdrive works now. Before it would just eject a blank disk and say the drive was not-supported.

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Dec 18, 2003, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by The Jackalope:
Not for me it doesn't. I uninstalled Ucontrol 1.3.7 and tried to install 1.4, and the installer claims that I am not running 10.3.
In my case I installed 1.4 just a few hours before 10.3.2 came out, so I didn't install it in 10.3.2. But it continued to run fine in the new version of the OS.

Forum Links
Forum Rules