Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 buil-in ethernet disappears from network system pref

G5 buil-in ethernet disappears from network system pref
duboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2004, 10:43 AM

So...everything's working great, then suddenly i get disconnected from the file server. no errors. when i try to go to a webpage, nothing happens, can't check email, can't get back into the server (on the local network). go to the system prefs, network, and built-in ethernet is GONE. when i go to set it up, it's checked as if it's on, i click apply, nothing. this is the second time. first time, i removed the aftermarket ram, booted up, and it was fine. worked for 2 days. now it's happened again, with a bone stock g5. i tried adding a new connection, using built-in ethernet, and naming it "ethernet2" and it still doesn't show. any help?

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2004, 12:54 PM

Try a different ethernet cable. If the cable is bad, the comp may not see a connection and the ethernet port could disappear from Network Status.

Forum Links
Forum Rules