Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > New iPods

New iPods
as2
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 02:17 PM

[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

vdrummer
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2004, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by as2:

1-2 week wait for shipping on the ipodphoto.

petrol
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2004, 02:41 PM

Anyone stopping by an Apple Store to see if they have them there yet? I'm curious to know if the games have been updated at all on the color iPod, or if some new games have been added for it.

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2004, 02:44 PM

Good moves, Apple!

But I want to see iPod Photo in person before I buy one (my third iPod ). It looks like it is a little bit thicker than other iPods. (.75" vs .57" (20GB) vs .69" (40GB) vs. .50" (mini)), and a little bit heavier (6.4 oz vs 5.6 oz (20GB) vs. 6.2 (40GB)oz vs 3.6 oz (mini))

Regarding Jet Black iPod U2 edition, it is more a personal taste thing, IMO. It is cool if you are a big U2 fan, or like your iPod unique to others.

The only thing as in the rumors did not materialize is the flash memory-based iPod.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 02:48 PM

mmm,
the photo viewing capabilities i'm not to hot on just cause i'm not a big photo taker. but i love the color screen and the 60 gb's. and i love the look of the u2 ipod but i'm not a big enough fan to own something that will always remind me of them. but good move on apples part. now i just want a 8 - 15 gb mini.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2004, 02:56 PM

Two questions,

1) Can iPod Photo use the regular iPod cable? (I think so, but not quite sure).
2) Can iPod Photo use the regular iPod remote to go prev and next photo? (might be)

I think it will be an after-market accessory to provide wireless (RF or BT) remote control. Because it is quite useful to present the photos on TV using a remote.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2004, 03:25 PM

Available immediately - which means in a couple months.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

vdrummer
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2004, 03:26 PM

OOB on a personalized 60 Gb is 11/9; ordered 10/26, 11:16am PST.

Halfloaf
Oct 26, 2004, 03:26 PM

Couldn't give 2 hoots about the photo capabilities...So you can only take the photos with you, and share them...? Why not just stick your photos on a memory card? I would have said OK if you could take pictures with your iPod OR take pictures with your iPod and link it up to your camera WITHOUT a Mac.

Nice screen though.

Not for me thank you...IMO the iPod is for listening to music. Period.

Why not use iPhoto to upload photos to the iPod? Why iTunes?

-HL
2012 Macbook Pro 13" 8GB Ram 250GB SSD
2010 5,1 Dual 2.93 Ghz 6 core Mac Pro 48GB Ram 250GB SD, 2x 1Tb HD, 1x 320GB HD, GTX970 Black Edition

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2004, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by Halfloaf:

-HL
Because iPhoto does not exist for Windows and Apple apparently has no plans to release it for that platform. OTOH, iTunes does exist for Windows. The photo syncing is just a preference setting in iTunes so it is very unobtrusive to the UI of iTunes. A pretty good move considering the situation IMO.

OAW

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2004, 03:40 PM

I no longer have the newest version of the ipod! I shall overcome and hug my 4th gen close and tell it that i love it.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2004, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by Halfloaf:
Not for me thank you...IMO the iPod is for listening to music. Period.
-HL
Photo capability is not for everybody, for sure. But it will be extremely useful as a marketing presentation tool, good for graphics designers, photographers who want to carry all their works to the potential clients.

It is also good for family gathering to share photos. No PC is required.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2004, 03:53 PM

Sweet fancy moses! Just ordered the U2 Special Edition for my wife for Christmas. She's a HUGE U2 fan. Plus, after the $50 off, you can get EVERY U2 album ever made for $100. Awesome, just awesome. Off to buy Apple stock....

porieux
Baninated
Oct 26, 2004, 03:54 PM

Unless the iPod Photo can be hooked up directly to a camera this is a useless feature.

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Oct 26, 2004, 03:56 PM

total non-event

what excatly is the point of the ipodphoto ?

my digital camera already allows me to see pictures on a screen

and it has superior display capabilities

the ipod has composite out too , so hello fuzzy picture

what they shouldve done is introduce an ipod that was horizontal in design with airport extreme built in

this is a pos

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2004, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by porieux:
Unless the iPod Photo can be hooked up directly to a camera this is a useless feature.
I am sure that someone will figure out a direct way to link digital camera with iPod Photo (Belkin Medium Reader, for example). After all, iPod Photo supports USB connection.

Rickster
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 04:00 PM

Because it'd suck to have to launch two apps to run two successive sync operations every time you plug your iPod in.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2004, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by Rickster:
Because it'd suck to have to launch two apps to run two successive sync operations every time you plug your iPod in.
That too!

OAW

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2004, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by eddiecatflap:

Quantity of the photos you can store on iPod Photo and easy navigation are the keys.

Just as when iPod first came out, there were plenty of MP3 players (flash- or HD-based0. iPod was the first one which makes navigating tons of songs easy. The rest is the history.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2004, 04:05 PM

total non-event

this is a pos
And you were thinking that an iPod was going to support component video or something? Just where exactly are three ports for the R, B, and G video channels going to fit on an iPod? I mean seriously ... let's keep it real here.

OAW

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2004, 04:20 PM

Another question:

What is iPod Photo video out resolution?

I hope that it is not just the mirror of the screen shown on iPod Photo, which is 220x176.

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2004, 04:22 PM

It looks nice. Did the screen increase to 2.0. I though it was 1.8 before. Also 60 gig how sweet. I still wished it had optical out and and a 2.2 inch screen like the toshiba one.
We will see when its in action. They should have used iphoto for pictures on the mac and itunes for pc users. Did the price of the 40 gig go up in price?!?!? I forget. ANd how is the resolution they say. Is that crisp?

djohnson
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2004, 04:23 PM

Pretty cool! I will wait until the next generation comes out before thinking about getting one though. Unless someone wants to buy one for me!

Seb G
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2004, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by iPoder:
I am sure that someone will figure out a direct way to link digital camera with iPod Photo (Belkin Medium Reader, for example). After all, iPod Photo supports USB connection.
Apple mentions the Belkin Media Reader on their website. But it's an extra $99, one extra piece to lug around. Totally unneccessary. Apple has all the software to read data from most digital cameras, the iPod has a choice of FireWire and USB so it does connect to any digicam. Did they make some kind of agreement with Belkin to carefully leave out direct connectivity so Belkin can continue selling their Media Reader?

Anyone else out there who takes pictures outside their own house, far away from their Macs (like on vacation), and showing them to friends at home, rather than the other way round?

Dog Like Nature
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2004, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by iPoder:
Another question:

What is iPod Photo video out resolution?

I hope that it is not just the mirror of the screen shown on iPod Photo, which is 220x176.
I imagine it will be NTSC or PAL, just like video out on digital cameras.
╭1.5GHz G4 15" PB, 2.0GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD, AEBS, BT kbd
╰2.0GHz T2500 20" iMac, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 250GB 7200rpm HD

http://www.DogLikeNature.com/

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2004, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by Seb G:
Apple mentions the Belkin Media Reader on their website. But it's an extra $99, one extra piece to lug around. Totally unneccessary. Apple has all the software to read data from most digital cameras, the iPod has a choice of FireWire and USB so it does connect to any digicam. Did they make some kind of agreement with Belkin to carefully leave out direct connectivity so Belkin can continue selling their Media Reader?

Anyone else out there who takes pictures outside their own house, far away from their Macs (like on vacation), and showing them to friends at home, rather than the other way round?
That was before when Apple considers iPod only as a music player. I bet that Apple will support direct link to digital camera soon.

Just as I mentioned in the previous messages, photographers, graphics designers, art directors, presentation warriors, etc are the initial target users.

Think about this: If Apple can support exporting Keynote's slides to iPod Photo, and a VGA output?

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2004, 04:52 PM

Does it take long for some companies to come up with a digital camera add-on?

Parky
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 05:02 PM

total non-event

what they shouldve done is introduce an ipod that was horizontal in design with airport extreme built in

this is a pos
And how many photos do you carry on your camera?
Can you display them on your TV with music and transitions?
Does your camera automatically sync your photos to and from your computer so that you can take the photos with you that you want?
Does your camera have a 60GB capacity?
The iPod Photo also has SVHS output as well, not fussy at all !

What you should do is not complain about something that others will find very useful.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

betamike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2004, 05:23 PM

While the photo capabilities are not vitally important to everyone, I'm sure some people would like to get if for the color screen, larger HD (on the second model), and increased battery life (15 hours vs. 12).

Personally I would like to see it as well. The 40 GB ones seem as big as I could handle, so I might stick with getting a regular one.

As far as the flash based iPod, I think that might be coming up a little bit later (or at least, for what I read).

brapper
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2004, 05:28 PM

It just occurred to me (a belkin media reader user) that it's weird that there's no cable made by apple that connects a digital camera (from that mini-usb plug) straight into the dock connector. I mean, what are the belkin camera accessories doing exactly...seems like it could be done through software on the ipod...
But really what do I know?
Educate this guy.

noxoliver
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2004, 05:30 PM

when can we expect G5 ipods?

A pricedrop is also out of question. Well, it lokks like I have to buy a 20g ipod. Too sad, I thought this event would be more interesting.

brapper
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2004, 05:33 PM

that's retarded. read the rest of thread to see its uses.

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2004, 05:36 PM

Originally posted by betamike:
As far as the flash based iPod, I think that might be coming up a little bit later (or at least, for what I read).
Apple is probably waiting for the flash memory price to drop further, so they can justify the price range of small storage space. An iPod with 1 GB flash memory at price range roughly $150 will be ideal for a casual music listener (~200 songs).

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2004, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by brapper:
It just occurred to me (a belkin media reader user) that it's weird that there's no cable made by apple that connects a digital camera (from that mini-usb plug) straight into the dock connector. I mean, what are the belkin camera accessories doing exactly...seems like it could be done through software on the ipod...
But really what do I know?
Educate this guy.
Belkin Media Reader takes your memory cards (CF, SD, etc) and transfers the image files to iPod for storage. It is like secondary storage for you digital camera. But it is slow (USB 1.1), I believe.

With regarding the connector, you can find the adaptor for usb to mini-usb, so that is not the problem. Now only if Apple can build-in the transfer function, then it will be quite useful.

Cop Rock
Oct 26, 2004, 06:04 PM

Why do the Photo iPods have a shorter skip protection time than the normal iPods?

According to the tech specs the Photo iPods only have "up to 17 minutes" while others have "up to 25 minutes" (and I thought it used to be 30).

http://www.apple.com/ipodphoto/specs.html

im_noahselby
Senior User
Oct 26, 2004, 06:10 PM

Most people weren't expecting the iPod Photo to materialize until the first half of 2005, so this is excellent news for those who are in the market for a new iPod right now.

I think the U2 edition iPod is kind of ugly, personally. I wouldn't buy one, however, I think it's good that Apple is offering the consumer so many choices.

The Photo iPod looks like it could be so much more... It would have been nice to see a built in microphone and quicktime movie playing. I know these things couldn't have been very difficult to add, but Apple is probbably going to stretch these features along to keep the iPod exciting and keep all of us buying.

Anyone see a need for an iPod specific forum? If you'd like to voice your oppinion, go here:
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=159745

later,
noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 06:26 PM

i'd hardly say useless.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2004, 06:48 PM

total non-event

this is a pos

Eddie,

You don't understand the market. Apple will sell a million of these. The timing is perfect. Is the product? No, but it is good enough. Maybe not for you, but there are 999,999 others ready to go.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

ae77
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2004, 06:55 PM

U2 edition looks neat.
^_^

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2004, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by Stuphalina:
I no longer have the newest version of the ipod! I shall overcome and hug my 4th gen close and tell it that i love it.
You are grieving over your newly-wed. I am grieving over which concubine(1st, and 3rd) to replace.

maxx9photo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2004, 07:15 PM

I think it's time to upgrade my old trusty 2nd gen iPod, and certainly will get the 60 Gb iPod photo as I'm a photographer. It would be cool bringing my camera gear on photo hunting along with my PB and soon after download every pics to iPod and show it to everyone while listening to the music, it's so cool and certainly good move by apple!.

hldan
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
Available immediately - which means in a couple months.
LOL, but so true!
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

yongfook
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2004, 07:23 PM

the moment they include direct-connect to my camera so I can offload photos onto my iPod (which will then sync with iTunes/iPhoto) this thing is mine!

Until then the new features are nice, but not really very useful to me.
http://www.yongfook.com

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2004, 07:33 PM

I know you can set the photo slideshows to music on the new iPod. The question I have is whether or not the slideshows have any sort of "transition". I certainly don't expect the "Ken Burns Effect" or anything like that but I would hope a simple fade in/fade out is included. Jumpy transitions from one photo to the next would not be very nice. Anyone have any idea if there are basic transitions when using the AV out to a TV?

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2004, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by OAW:
I know you can set the photo slideshows to music on the new iPod. The question I have is whether or not the slideshows have any sort of "transition". I certainly don't expect the "Ken Burns Effect" or anything like that but I would hope a simple fade in/fade out is included. Jumpy transitions from one photo to the next would not be very nice. Anyone have any idea if there are basic transitions when using the AV out to a TV?

OAW
Never mind. I found the answer to my own question. According to the Tech Specs page you can set "Transitions: On/Off" so it seems Apple thought of this one. Great news!

OAW

Mithras
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2004, 08:05 PM

Add me to the group saying: huh?

One of these with a 4 or 5" screen would be neat, so you could share your photos from the latest trip on something better than the tiny screen on the camera, and without dragging a laptop around.

But many cameras have 2" screens. And once you're connecting it to a TV, well, cameras can do that too.

The one thing the iPod offers is big storage. This makes sense in music -- your whole library in your pocket! So for photos -- I can take all of my photos from the past 5 years around with me, I guess? And then do what? Show them to friends and coworkers -- 'Hey Bob! Didja ever see the photos from when I went to Kansas City six years ago?' Or to look at myself as I'm walking down the street -- 'Ahh, I remember that...'

I just don't get it.

sideus
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 08:16 PM

iPod Photo. WTF! What a useless feature.

You all need to quit drinking the apple kool-aid.

thetman
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2004, 08:23 PM

60GB on order - 1-2weeks i cant wait

gotta find a new case, i need some help here, the 60gb is thicker than the 40gb regular ipod

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2004, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by thetman:
60GB on order - 1-2weeks i cant wait

gotta find a new case, i need some help here, the 60gb is thicker than the 40gb regular ipod
Yes,

Model (Thickness) [Weight]
----------------------------------------------
iPod mini ( 0.5" ) [ 3.6 oz ]
iPod 20G ( 0.57" ) [ 5.6 oz ]
iPod 40G ( 0.69" ) [ 6.2 oz ]
iPod Photo ( 0.75" ) [ 6.4 oz ]

It seems that iPod Photo 40G and 60G are the same weight and thickness.

thetman
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2004, 08:34 PM

i knew it was i am just looking for a case that can stretch that extra tenth or whatever inch

Forum Links
Forum Rules