Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Where the heck is 10.4.2?

Where the heck is 10.4.2?
TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2005, 10:02 AM

I've been waiting all week ever since I found out the exciting news that 10.4.2 was coming out this week and now it's Friday and still no sign or news of the update coming. From what I understand, they're putting the update on the retail version of the OS, so shouldn't we be able to download it really really soon?

What's with the delay? Any estimates on a release date?

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2005, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by TheSpaz

Sometime between now and forever.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2005, 10:12 AM

norever

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2005, 10:19 AM

Seriously guys, I'm thinking about going back to Panther.

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2005, 10:21 AM

There are tons of problems with Adobe Apps right now with Tiger and I'm sick of dealing with them... I want Apple to either fix the bugs or, I'll go back to Panther

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jun 17, 2005, 10:24 AM

I think Apple is delaying the release so they can add more bugs...enough so people here can complain in a thread 10 pages long. Also...they'll keep FTP broken and flakey .mac connections to make everyone extra frustrated.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2005, 10:24 AM

When is Mac OS X 10.5 coming out??? I'm really waiting on it! Thinking of going back to OS 6...

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2005, 10:36 AM

OS 8.6 was the best!

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jun 17, 2005, 10:47 AM

Go back to OS 8.6...you'll be happier.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2005, 10:56 AM

Rumors are rumors so we won't know the date until it's released.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2005, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Appleman
When is Mac OS X 10.5 coming out??? I'm really waiting on it! Thinking of going back to OS 6...

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2005, 11:01 AM

i've been patiently waiting for .2 since i bought my imac g5 and it can't host a 3 way video chat. i read that .2 will have ichat fixes, i hope that it fixes my g5.

hopefully it will be out soon.

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2005, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by mdc
i've been patiently waiting for .2 since i bought my imac g5 and it can't host a 3 way video chat. i read that .2 will have ichat fixes, i hope that it fixes my g5.

hopefully it will be out soon.
This update must be really important if they're shipping the OS with 10.4.2 now.

biscuit
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2005, 11:30 AM

This update must be really important if they're shipping the OS with 10.4.2 now.
Eh? Surely they'd do that anyway? They don't deliberately keep making 10.4.0 discs so that people have to download the updates when they get home. Once 10.4.2 is official, they'll start pressing discs with that on. I assume the same was done with 10.4.1, no?

biscuit

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2005, 11:31 AM

Seriously guys, I'm thinking about going back to Panther.
Seriously, who cares ?

-t

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2005, 12:12 PM

My math tells me it is between 10.4.1 and 10.4.3.
I, ASIMO.

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2005, 12:28 PM

Panther was solid and I had almost 0 problems with it. Tiger seems like it's a big ol' bag of problems. I work in a Graphic Arts department and I use Tiger at work and at home. The things we do at work are way different than what I do at home... I have lots of Tiger problems at work using Illustrator and other apps that I simply didn't have with Panther. At home on the other hand, Tiger behaves better because I don't use the same Apps at home that I do at work.

doucy2
Senior User
Jun 17, 2005, 12:43 PM

no way am i switching to tiger until it is as stable as panther
panther has never given me any problems
at this point tiger is just a waste of money

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2005, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by doucy2
I wish I could have waited... I just can't wait for things... I'm too impatient...

WHERES MY 10.4.2!!!

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2005, 01:50 PM

I ate v10.4.2 for lunch. Sorry man!

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2005, 01:58 PM

The key here is first adoption. I have had no problems with updates at work because I wait for someone who is really impatient to install a point release and then post here to tell us what breaks.

I kid! Kind of.

Don't use your breadwinner as the guinea pig. Either be a first adopter at home or on someone elses computer. I do hear good things about 10.4.2 though. Kills all known Tiger bugs, turns your PPC chip into an x86 chip, 3-ways in iChat, etc.

MDA
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2005, 04:51 PM

I've been waiting all week ever since I found out the exciting news that 10.4.2 was coming out this week and now it's Friday and still no sign or news of the update coming. From what I understand, they're putting the update on the retail version of the OS, so shouldn't we be able to download it really really soon?

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0506build8C33.html

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2005, 04:56 PM

I wish I could have waited... I just can't wait for things... I'm too impatient...
WHERES MY 10.4.2!!!
Dude, WTF ?

-t

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2005, 05:34 PM

It's most probable that 10.4.2 will not cure the problems you claim to be having with Adobe apps, Spaz.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2005, 08:21 PM

You know with all this whoo ha with Mactel going on, what happened to the prospects of quartz extreme 2d being finally turned on? Personally, IMO I think that if apple waited this long - it aint going to happen till 10.5 I hope I'm wrong.
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2005, 08:40 PM

Matt OS X
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2005, 08:45 PM

I was going to say the same thing... I cannot wait for .2 to fix "insufficent bandwidth" for 1 or 3 way video conferencing!

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what Mac OS X is... you must see it for yourself."

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2005, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by tkmd
You know with all this whoo ha with Mactel going on, what happened to the prospects of quartz extreme 2d being finally turned on? Personally, IMO I think that if apple waited this long - it aint going to happen till 10.5 I hope I'm wrong.
You can test-wise and temporarily turn it on in Tiger with Quartz Debug and it is slower than normal. So there's no point in turning it on. On Intel Macs there may be even less reason for it since the processors are fast.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2005, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by doucy2
I dunno... I've not had any significant problems with Tiger. Not one KP since I installed it the day it was released. I think perhaps Safari has crashed a couple of times, but not more than 5 (and Safari is far from mission critical for anything). Not saying Tiger is perfect (nothing is), but its far from an unstable P.O.S..

No trouble with the apps I use most - MS Office 2004 (except Entourage), Photoshop CS (1), Photoshop Elements 3, Acrobat 7, Keynote 2, Mail, iSync/.Mac, Toast, Popcorn, and Preview.

Ok, one problem actually. PowerPoint 2004 doesn't display full-screen slideshows correctly on my 30" display, but I'm not sure if that's a Tiger issue or a 30" display/Microsoft issue.


Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2005, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
You can test-wise and temporarily turn it on in Tiger with Quartz Debug and it is slower than normal. So there's no point in turning it on. On Intel Macs there may be even less reason for it since the processors are fast.
I think people are setting themselves up for disappointment by inflating their performance expectations for Apple's PC line.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2005, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
No trouble with the apps I use most - MS Office 2004 (except Entourage).
Interesting. I thought the Office 2004 "beachball" problem on Tiger was universal: when I start up Word or Excel, it'll beachball spin for about 10 seconds on startup. Extremely annoying. I had heard other reports of the same, so I was waiting patiently for MS to update, but apparently you have no problems? Hmm. I wonder if I can tweak something to fix this.

jay3ld
Senior User
Jun 18, 2005, 12:37 AM

Well i am just glad i havnt upgraded or bought tiger. to me it sounds like apple slacked off the first 9 months after panther release and rushed tiger out in the last 4.

I hope apple gets a stable release soon. because untill they do i aint going above 10.3.9

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2005, 01:34 AM

Adobe works fine on my versions of Tiger. I did have to reinstall PS2 though. Did you try that route?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

kulverse
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 18, 2005, 07:06 AM

Panther was solid and I had almost 0 problems with it. Tiger seems like it's a big ol' bag of problems. I work in a Graphic Arts department and I use Tiger at work and at home. The things we do at work are way different than what I do at home... I have lots of Tiger problems at work using Illustrator and other apps that I simply didn't have with Panther. At home on the other hand, Tiger behaves better because I don't use the same Apps at home that I do at work.
I dunno. I'm Senior Designer at a cinema advertising joint. All Adobe apps works flawlessly on Tiger both at work and home. Seems you have other issues. the only issue's we had, as stated above, were we needed to reinstall the Suite after upgrading to Tiger. This is a very known issue though, so I'm sure you already did that.

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 18, 2005, 09:02 AM

What about the fact that Illustrator CS is always creating little .tmp files when you save? How about the very slow print dialog when you print for the first time in Illustrator?

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2005, 09:19 AM

What about the fact that Illustrator CS is always creating little .tmp files when you save? How about the very slow print dialog when you print for the first time in Illustrator?
Possibly an Illustrator problem?
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2005, 09:35 AM

Don't shoot me, but that does not sound like a Mac OS problem.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2005, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by saddino
Interesting. I thought the Office 2004 "beachball" problem on Tiger was universal: when I start up Word or Excel, it'll beachball spin for about 10 seconds on startup. Extremely annoying. I had heard other reports of the same, so I was waiting patiently for MS to update, but apparently you have no problems? Hmm. I wonder if I can tweak something to fix this.
No, no beachball at launch. They work just as they did with 10.3.


turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2005, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
Don't shoot me, but that does not sound like a Mac OS problem.
I blame it on Intel

-t

osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 18, 2005, 10:56 AM

Adobe apps work fine on Tiger here but I installed them after I upgraded. I do think that there are some annoyances with Tiger though. One is not being able to search certain folders. I can't search the system folder for example. I can't even find the Finder with Spotlight.

I wouldn't go back to Panther though because Tiger has much more advantages.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2005, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by osxrules
Adobe apps work fine on Tiger here but I installed them after I upgraded. I do think that there are some annoyances with Tiger though. One is not being able to search certain folders. I can't search the system folder for example. I can't even find the Finder with Spotlight.

That's not a Tiger bug - it's a "feature" that is also present in Panther. By default Apple's tools will not search OS folders.

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 18, 2005, 02:33 PM

Okay... The Illustrator .tmp files cannot be an Illustrator bug. Illustrator worked fine in 10.3 and I've also re-installed it after the Tiger upgrade. I think it's a spotlight problem where spotlight will try to index the .tmp file (that is supposed to be invisible and automatically deleted) and it treats it as a regular file and does not delete it correctly.

Spotlight is an OS feature is it not?

http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthr...31&page=1&pp=8

MartiNZ
Senior User
Jun 18, 2005, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by saddino
No beachball on startup here but Word pretty consistently beachballs within the first 30 minutes of use, and this, coupled with the fact that I'm not one who saves every few minutes, has already lost me a few hours of work in Word on Tiger. Just hoping for some sign that they acknowledge something is up but I don't think we'll ever see it .

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2005, 11:17 PM

Search versiontracker for "Highlight".

It will let you forcibly add specific folders to spotlight for indexing.

timmerk
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2005, 05:30 AM

I saw 10.4.2 in your wife's panty drawer last night. Does she even work for Apple?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 19, 2005, 05:39 AM

Put it back, you swine!

Agent69
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2005, 11:03 AM

I've been waiting all week ever since I found out the exciting news that 10.4.2 was coming out this week and now it's Friday and still no sign or news of the update coming.

Unless Apple made the announcement that it was going to be released, you have nothing to complain about. If you are going to read rumor sites, don't complain here when things don't happen as predicted.
Agent69

Agent69
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2005, 11:08 AM

Okay... The Illustrator .tmp files cannot be an Illustrator bug. Illustrator worked fine in 10.3 and I've also re-installed it after the Tiger upgrade. I think it's a spotlight problem where spotlight will try to index the .tmp file (that is supposed to be invisible and automatically deleted) and it treats it as a regular file and does not delete it correctly.

Spotlight is an OS feature is it not?

http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthr...31&page=1&pp=8
Does Illustrated allow you to designate where the temp files are created?
Agent69

villalobos
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2005, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
No, no beachball at launch. They work just as they did with 10.3.
Ditto.

PER3
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2005, 01:55 PM

To search System, open Finder, drill down to System, and put your query into the Search window. Works fine here.

Forum Links
Forum Rules