Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Strange feedback in GarageBand (Intel iMac)

Strange feedback in GarageBand (Intel iMac)
kulverse
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2006, 09:40 AM

Something that doesn't happen on my G4 Tower. I'm usually VERY good at troubleshooting on my computers. I can't figure out why when using any real instrument on garageband 3 on my Intel iMac, I get a very strange feedback sound. This happens on instruments with gain and totally clean. I'm plugged direct into the rear audio in port. I never used the Mighty mouse that came with it. People has said that the MM caused some feedback. Mic is off.

Any ideas?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2006, 06:25 AM

What's strange about the feedback sound?

That it happens at all?

Or does it sound weird?

Are you *sure* it's feedback?

What are you plugging into the audio input?

If it's a microphone through a pre-amp, is it possible that it's just, well, feedback? I.e. the sound from the iMac's speakers running into the microphone and playing back out through the speakers and back into the mic etc.?

Does it go away when you mute the track you're trying to record?

Does it go away when you use headphones instead of the speakers?

If so, use headphones while recording "real" instruments with a microphone.

Good idea anyway, since you'll otherwise be recording the playback from the speakers as well.

kulverse  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2006, 09:18 AM

It is a feedback-like sound from something. If it is not feedback, it sound exactly like it.

Guitar striaght into the audio input. No Mic. This doesnt happen on my G4 and nothing is being done differently between the 2.

It goes away with mute button. I've tried a few different cords.

I was just hoping someone experienced the same thing. I'll probably just try going into a small preamp first or something.

Thanks for your response

Forum Links
Forum Rules