Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > End the Whine - May 20th, 2006

End the Whine - May 20th, 2006
onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2006, 12:12 AM

End the Whine - May 20th, 2006
Written by Mashugly
Monday, 01 May 2006
It doesn’t take very long in the Apple support forum (and elsewhere) to discover the main issues on the minds of most MacBook Pro owners – heat and whining problems. Apple seems to be taking these annoyances very lightly, and as such, something needs to be done.
Many of you have been promised by Apple tech people that your problem would be fixed in the next generation… and it wasn’t. Many people have been told that the "sound is normal" - for the price you paid for the unit, it isn't.
Some have heard from the Geniuses that their uncomfortable heat is “within spec” while others have had to void their warranty to fix the problem. All of this has got to stop. We need to let Apple know we're tired of them not paying attention to our complaints. So here's what I suggest we do.
On May 20th, everyone with a MacBook Pro that has whining and heat issues should call Apple Support and tell them about it. If thousands of affected MBP owners call on the same day on the same topic, Apple will be forced to address the issue (not to mention the press such an effort will get!). There is safety - and problem solving - in numbers. A unified group of concerned MBP owners will get the attention of those in charge.
This is the best way we can hold Apple accountable. It's our duty to make sure they know we won't tolerate hacks and unsupported fixes to fix an issue that shouldn't be there. This is nothing malicious and we do it with the most admirable of reasons – telling Apple we love their characteristically high quality and won't settle for less. Since we pay for the ability to call technical support when have an issue, we should use it.
If no one spoke up, nothing would change. It's our responsibility.
So help us spread the word – post on your favorite Mac forums and let the world’s MacBook Pro owners know their solution is at hand.
So, mark Saturday May 20th on your calendar - it's the day the whining ends!

reposted from http://www.osx86project.org/index.ph...d=180&Itemid=2 as per the request to spread the word.
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

onlykaria  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2006, 12:16 AM

i am not a fan of online petitions or other such things as i fail to see how they will be effective, but this is something that can clearly be effective.
Computers:

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2006, 01:06 AM

I think that returning the whining units, for cash/credit card credit (not a repair, replacement, or store credit), would be a lot more effective than all whining on the phone on the same day.
If they refuse or try to charge a restocking fee, start calling: credit card company for chargeback, Better Business Bureau for a formal complaint, and your state AG's consumer protection division.

onlykaria  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2006, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
I think that returning the whining units, for cash/credit card credit (not a repair, replacement, or store credit), would be a lot more effective than all whining on the phone on the same day.
If they refuse or try to charge a restocking fee, start calling: credit card company for chargeback, Better Business Bureau for a formal complaint, and your state AG's consumer protection division.
there are a number of problems with that:

1- most common is that the apple retail stores will sometimes not accept returns for the whine, same for apple online store

2- some units are whine free from the first 2-3 weeks before it comes cramming in. and the return time span is only for 14 days. my unit did not whine for 2.5 weeks.

All your suggestions about the BBB are umm... of not much use. mainly because the BBB is something of a joke there are a good number of surveys and studies that shows BBBs unwillingness to stand up for consumers, particularly those who are complaining about BBB members. credit cards wont refund your money if you got the product, even if you are unhappy with it. and if they did (which they wont) it would take months for the money to actually be credited to your account.

my macbook pro had MASSIVE issues (all documented and experienced by mac genius employees) that didnt really show up until the 3rd week of use. and even with those issues it took a good 5 hours on the phone with apple to be apple to get a replacement. this makes it doubtful to believe that if your whine wasnt doesn't show for a while apple will just be happy to send you a new unit.

the best thing, as always is to stop the problem at its source, and yeah its fun to call people who have valid complaints about this product names, but it does nothing.
Computers:

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2006, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by onlykaria
there are a number of problems with that:

1- most common is that the apple retail stores will sometimes not accept returns for the whine, same for apple online store

2- some units are whine free from the first 2-3 weeks before it comes cramming in. and the return time span is only for 14 days. my unit did not whine for 2.5 weeks.

All your suggestions about the BBB are umm... of not much use. mainly because the BBB is something of a joke there are a good number of surveys and studies that shows BBBs unwillingness to stand up for consumers, particularly those who are complaining about BBB members. credit cards wont refund your money if you got the product, even if you are unhappy with it. and if they did (which they wont) it would take months for the money to actually be credited to your account.

my macbook pro had MASSIVE issues (all documented and experienced by mac genius employees) that didnt really show up until the 3rd week of use. and even with those issues it took a good 5 hours on the phone with apple to be apple to get a replacement. this makes it doubtful to believe that if your whine wasnt doesn't show for a while apple will just be happy to send you a new unit.

the best thing, as always is to stop the problem at its source, and yeah its fun to call people who have valid complaints about this product names, but it does nothing.
1) That's why I mentioned the credit card chargeback route. Most credit cards in the US offer some form of consumer protection (espically those with fees, but also many without) and can force the return/refund with the merchant (well, the merchant bank, but the merchant bank will push on the merchant). They don't just protect against not receiving the product, they also protect against defective/unfit products, and some will even extend warranties.

2) That's why I mentioned Apple refusing to take a refund, and that's the time you need your credit card company the most.

In some areas the BBB has a spine, in others it doesn't. That's why I also mentioned contacting the state AG office; some state AGs (like NY) are very active.

Calling people names?

onlykaria  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2006, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
1) That's why I mentioned the credit card chargeback route. Most credit cards in the US offer some form of consumer protection (espically those with fees, but also many without) and can force the return/refund with the merchant (well, the merchant bank, but the merchant bank will push on the merchant). They don't just protect against not receiving the product, they also protect against defective/unfit products, and some will even extend warranties.

2) That's why I mentioned Apple refusing to take a refund, and that's the time you need your credit card company the most.

In some areas the BBB has a spine, in others it doesn't. That's why I also mentioned contacting the state AG office; some state AGs (like NY) are very active.

Calling people names?
i understand that, but many credit cards, and certainly not citibank, will not accept "whine or loud noise" as a valid reason for a charge-back (i asked). those are used only if you do not get the product or if there is photographic evidence that its extremely different from advertised. also thats protection beyond not getting an item or out right fraud, is limited in 'entry level' cards, like college cards. and last time i requested a chargeback it took 4 months to show.

i dont know, the AG office in NY might be busy but its not helpful. my parents were stolen out of 200$ by a company closed down by the AG office and a year later we are still getting the run around about how to get the money back.

all this seems a lot for an issue that apple can and should address. as always its easier to deal with problems at the source rather than 5, 6 stages removed.
Computers:

HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2006, 08:11 AM

if any of you have pc laptops in addition, mention how it doesnt make a whining noise....I dont have a mbp and wont be getting one for at least a year for a graduation present......but i do have a mac mini and additionally i have a laptop PC...which makes NO whining noises whatsoevr...is very very quiet.....and also the heat is bearable even directly on skin. odd noises are not normal for laptops and Apple ought to fix it.

Realisitcally though, I don't think any amount of calling will do anything because they simply don't care. I would say that bad publicity would be a better route. There's an ATL consumer reporter that is very popular.....his name is Clark Howard and I think he has a radio show too. I don't know if it would do anything (probably not) but maybe a bunch of you could contact him with your complaints and experiences. His website is: http://clarkhoward.com/

Again, I don't think that anything will be done about the problem but at least with bad publicity beyond the internet, it could help detour customers and thus force them to at least make an effort to do somthing.
Mac Mini G4 1.33 Ghz:40GBhf, 512MBRAM, 32MBVRAM
MBP 15.4' 2.33Ghz:160GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
iMac 24' 2.4 Ghz, 300GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
80GB iPod Classic (black)

onlykaria  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2006, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by HazelGirl
if any of you have pc laptops in addition, mention how it doesnt make a whining noise....I dont have a mbp and wont be getting one for at least a year for a graduation present......but i do have a mac mini and additionally i have a laptop PC...which makes NO whining noises whatsoevr...is very very quiet.....and also the heat is bearable even directly on skin. odd noises are not normal for laptops and Apple ought to fix it.

Realisitcally though, I don't think any amount of calling will do anything because they simply don't care. I would say that bad publicity would be a better route. There's an ATL consumer reporter that is very popular.....his name is Clark Howard and I think he has a radio show too. I don't know if it would do anything (probably not) but maybe a bunch of you could contact him with your complaints and experiences. His website is: http://clarkhoward.com/

Again, I don't think that anything will be done about the problem but at least with bad publicity beyond the internet, it could help detour customers and thus force them to at least make an effort to do somthing.
this is the hope. that there are so many callers, that even if they dont care the bad publicity will force action on apples part.
Computers:

elcheapo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2006, 02:55 PM

I think that on May 20 we should have a protest march to Apple headquarters.

Even if you don't live anywhere near them, take the day off of work, from school, or what not and march in the streets, hold up signs, flags, banners, small children or goats and demand justice.

It should work, I mean look at everyone else...

Forum Links
Forum Rules