Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My Macbook: Flawless

My Macbook: Flawless (Page 2)
zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2006, 01:20 AM

thanks for clarifying that for me Simon; i didn't realize that BootCamp did the live partitioning.
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2006, 02:23 AM

You're welcome.

It's a really nice feature of BootCamp. Unfortunately it only works when all you have on the disk is a single Mac partition. I hope that's just a limitation while the software is a beta version. It should work regardless of how people chose to organize their storage on the Mac-side. Tools like Partition Magic have been available for ages on Windows but also on Linux. I really hope live repartitioning will become available to Mac users soon.

[I'm aware there's a commercial tool to do it, but the reviews I've read of it are rather scary (hosed partitions, non-bootable Macs, etc.) so I'm hoping Apple does it right and adds it to the free tools they deliver with their OS.]

kaido
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2006, 08:43 AM

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with mine so far. I bought a flawless used 2ghz white MacBook to avoid the trouble of possibly getting a cruddy one from Apple and having to deal with returning it. I was originally planning on getting the black model but decided on white at the last minute. I'm really quite pleased with it - I even like the touchpad, and I hate touchpads! My only gripe is that there are only 2 USB ports, but I have a couple of USB hubs so it's not a big deal. The only way I'll upgrade from this machine for the next several years is if they release an x1600 model

j0nkatz
Jul 6, 2006, 09:16 AM

Mines a little on the hot side (idle about 70 to 72C) but is still an awesome machine other than that.

soulboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2006, 12:48 PM

Happy,Happy,Happy.......Joy,Joy,Joy !! (Ren & Stimpy RIP ) my Macbook is the mutz nutz, so quiet, fast, clear screen, ....in fact I find it hard to fault.........and now the volume restriction is off my IPod as well ....... all is well in my world..........Good to see a thread praising it, it's the best computer I have owned........now to get my PC on ebay...

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2006, 02:10 AM

Well, I just got my MacBook today (see sig). So far, I must say that I'm thoroughly impressed. No mooing, no extreme heat, no pink screen, just perfection! I'm still moving things over from my iBook, and I have yet to put the GMA950 through its paces yet, but so far so good! The most impressive part has to be the amazing build quality. It just feels SO much sturdier and more well-built than my iBook ever has. Two thumbs up!!!

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 11, 2006, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst
Well, I just got my MacBook today (see sig). So far, I must say that I'm thoroughly impressed. No mooing, no extreme heat, no pink screen, just perfection! I'm still moving things over from my iBook, and I have yet to put the GMA950 through its paces yet, but so far so good! The most impressive part has to be the amazing build quality. It just feels SO much sturdier and more well-built than my iBook ever has. Two thumbs up!!!

Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2006, 03:44 AM

Yes, well everyone can gripe about the MacBooks all they want, but I REALLY don't care... even if the one I get isn't 'perfect' then I STILL don't care.... As of now I am running an OLD IBM Thinkpad with a 700mhz piii processor, a crappy vid card, and 256 MB of RAM. Not only is it hot enought to catch fire to my bed if I left in on all night, but it ROARS... no mooing allowed! this thing is what they should dub "Tiger" I SWEAR! Anyway, even if I hear a slight moo and maybe a discomforting heat issue, it's definitely going to be better than my ThinkPad and that is TOTALLY welcome.
Black MacBook 2.0GHz Core Duo, 1GB RAM.
Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse, Brenthaven Metro (black).

Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2006, 03:46 AM

I also wanted to add that there were only one or two posts in here saying that anyone had problems, confirming my theory that only the one or two bad ones are the ones plastered all over the 'net.
Black MacBook 2.0GHz Core Duo, 1GB RAM.
Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse, Brenthaven Metro (black).

praterkeith
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2006, 01:51 AM

this comforts me to read all of your stories, then i click back and read the horror stories of heat and discoloration...BUT I WANT ONE SO BADLY!
PowerMac G4-733mhz-Quicksilver | 5th gen. iPod-Video-30gb-White. | Pentax *istDS DSLR

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2006, 03:01 AM

A few days later, and my report:
- No whine
- No moo
- No discoloration (yet)
- Still no uncomfortable heat (using it on my lap at the moment)
- INCREDIBLY FAST with 2 gigs of memory!

I'm still in awe... this is, by far, the best computer I have ever owned. Even Halo runs decently well (Windows, not OS X), even with the integrated video. I should mention that I have a week 26 machine, for all those keeping score.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Forum Links
Forum Rules