Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Pro: Yes or No?

Macbook Pro: Yes or No?
evisa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2006, 03:56 AM

I'm sure you've gotten this question a million times over, and I apologize for the repetition, but I just need to make sure I'm making the right choice.

I've read a lot of pros and cons about the Macbook Pro, but in your opinion, and feel free to weigh in with any problems/defects/annoyances you may have with it, should I wait in case Apple fixes the problems or buy it now? It seems like issues like heat, whines, etc. are widespread, but I've been waiting for months until after the WWDC to actually buy it and I'm getting restless.

How severe are the issues, should that affect my decision on buying it (knowing that Macs are amazing), and are the chances of getting a laptop with those problems versus one that works fine high or low (or do they all have their problems here and there)?

Also, what notebook case, if any, do you use? I'm looking for a snug fit so I can carry it around knowing it's not moving around or I might drop it because of extra skin.

Thanks in advance.

elcheapo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2006, 04:07 AM

wrong forum

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2006, 07:10 AM

Yes, if you like the current feature set. For me, it's missing two things.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 8, 2006, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by elcheapo
wrong forum
How is it the "wrong forum?"

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mark.s
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2006, 12:16 PM

I bought one at the end of April.

I was lucky with whine and screen issues i.e. I don't have any. Sure, it gets hot when I stress it, but then it is usually on a desk when it's being pushed hard, so no big deal.

I'm seriously happy with it - it replaced a 1.8 PowerMac G5 and an Athlon 64 based PC.

Why not buy one from an Apple store, then if you're not satisfied you can always return it (I guess it depends where you live)?

As far as cases go, have a look in the sticky thread in this forum.

So, to answer your question - I would say yes (but then I'm biased :-) )

edit: you'll generally read about problems on the forums, people who are happy and satisfied with their machines tend not to complain.... I think this can skew peoples' perceptions.

VanillaEps
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2006, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by mark.s
I bought one at the end of April.

I was lucky with whine and screen issues i.e. I don't have any. Sure, it gets hot when I stress it, but then it is usually on a desk when it's being pushed hard, so no big deal.

I'm seriously happy with it - it replaced a 1.8 PowerMac G5 and an Athlon 64 based PC.

Why not buy one from an Apple store, then if you're not satisfied you can always return it (I guess it depends where you live)?

As far as cases go, have a look in the sticky thread in this forum.

So, to answer your question - I would say yes (but then I'm biased :-) )

edit: you'll generally read about problems on the forums, people who are happy and satisfied with their machines tend not to complain.... I think this can skew peoples' perceptions.
I got mine at the end of April. I've been extremely happy with it and haven't reported any problems.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2006, 12:11 AM

Wait. Merom-based MBPs will be out in September, improving performance and lowering the cost of existing MBPs.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 10, 2006, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon
Wait. Merom-based MBPs will be out in September, improving performance and lowering the cost of existing MBPs.
Reference please! That's a good one for all of us (especially since I won't be able to afford an MBP until September...

wowway1
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2006, 09:03 AM

I've had mine 3 weeks. Love it. You'll need the RAM so upgrade it (I slapped 2GB in mine). I'm having major problems using a projector though for presentations, but that'll be another thread.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2006, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Reference please! That's a good one for all of us (especially since I won't be able to afford an MBP until September...
Pricing and Availability
Intel has been shipping production-ready Intel Core 2 Duo processors for all segments in advance of today's unveiling. Initial Intel Core 2 Extreme processor-based systems are now available from system manufacturers, resellers and integrators, including Intel Channel Partner Program members. Intel Core 2 Duo desktop processor-based systems will be available beginning in early August. Intel Core 2 Duo processor-based notebooks will be available at the end of August.

(emphasis mine, linky)

evisa  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2006, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
Pricing and Availability
Intel has been shipping production-ready Intel Core 2 Duo processors for all segments in advance of today's unveiling. Initial Intel Core 2 Extreme processor-based systems are now available from system manufacturers, resellers and integrators, including Intel Channel Partner Program members. Intel Core 2 Duo desktop processor-based systems will be available beginning in early August. Intel Core 2 Duo processor-based notebooks will be available at the end of August.

(emphasis mine, linky)

If I didn't wait, could I still return it within 14 days and get a new MBP with Merom?
It's just like a normal return policy, am I right?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2006, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by evisa
If I didn't wait, could I still return it within 14 days and get a new MBP with Merom?
It's just like a normal return policy, am I right?
What if the Merom MBP is launched in 15 days?
If nothing is wrong with the MBP you buy, you may have to eat a substantial restocking fee.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 10, 2006, 12:45 PM

I hope the folks in Cupertino are as optomistic as the Intel people are...

zerroeffect
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2006, 12:54 PM

If you are not concerned about price or don't need it right away, I say wait for the new ones. Might get a speed bump and cooler chip along with ironed out problems (screen, crap keyboard - hopefully, and others that have been mentioned)

That being said, refurbished prices are getting lower by the week, it seems. You could save a lot of money, get your use out of it and "upgrade" after Leopard is unleashed.

Just thoughts. Good luck with whatever you choose.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2006, 12:55 PM

I hope the folks in Cupertino are as optomistic as the Intel people are...
About release dates, power consumption, compatibility... what?

frzamilan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2006, 12:57 PM

To the original poster: do it. I replaced my 12 inch powerbook and powermac g5 and haven't looked back since. Just make sure you get plenty of RAM.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2006, 01:13 PM

My commentary is based on my own analysis, perusing chip industry happenings, owning Mac laptops since the Duos and living Apple's evolution since the Apple II:

Intel has followed its own roadmap and even been beating earlier forecasts. Merom is a sweet chip; IMO it will allow the first full-pro laptop desktop replacement (although not perhaps in the initial offerings).

August delivery for Merom chips is very solid.

The existing MBP boxes work well. A minimum approach of just adding the cooler Merom chips would be a no brainer and more advanced configurations than the current MBP boxes are also feasible.

Apple clearly negotiated head-of-the-line status with Intel.

Jobs clearly wants to prove Apple can compete the high end with Dell et al, so he will be hot to keep MBPs at state of the art level.

High end laptops are highest growth and highest profit margins in the computer industry.

Ergo Merom MBPs in September.

However, stuff happens. I am convinced Merom MBPs will be announced August/September but delivery anomalies, construction glitches, etc. could easily cause delays in fully filling demand.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Aug 10, 2006 at 01:36 PM. )

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2006, 01:42 PM

Note too that a logical evolution is to facilitate more RAM in the cooler-chip Merom MBPs. That possibility alone is a reason to wait (that's a possibility not a forecast). And, Merom is full 64-bit; that may have import for certain apps down the road.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Aug 10, 2006 at 01:48 PM. )

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2006, 04:53 PM

What makes you think Merom will be any cooler, SierraDragon? Intel has consistently stated that there is no significant change in power consumption from Yonah to Merom.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 10, 2006, 05:42 PM

About release dates, power consumption, compatibility... what?
All of the above, but primarily about dates when computers will be available.

Originally Posted by SierraDragon
Apple clearly negotiated head-of-the-line status with Intel.
Do not confuse "favorite customer" status with a vendor with the ability (or will for that matter) to roll out a product with the rest of the pack. I think your logical chain includes a lot of "I hope" factors. Not that I disagree, but it's just not as black and white as you paint.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2006, 05:44 PM

I personally would buy a MacBook Pro for the drop-dead gorgeous case.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2006, 06:28 PM

What makes you think Merom will be any cooler, SierraDragon? Intel has consistently stated that there is no significant change in power consumption from Yonah to Merom.
True, power consumption is similar. However overall performance efficiency is widely reported to be 20-25% improved. A Merom chip at the same performance level as Yonah should run cooler. The net result being that from the standpoint of engineering Merom chips into existing MBP boxes it should be trivial, so there is no major engineering delay necessary to change Yonah MBPs to be Merom MBPs. Apple may indeed do some major new engineering and I hope they do, but it is not a prerequisite to getting Merom MBPs on the street in September.

I do not expect Merom MBPs to actually run cooler. My expectation and my hope is that Apple will, as always, cram as much performance into the Merom designs as possible, design engineering up to maximum tolerable heat.

-Allen Wicks

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2006, 06:39 PM

Do not confuse "favorite customer" status with a vendor with the ability (or will for that matter) to roll out a product with the rest of the pack. I think your logical chain includes a lot of "I hope" factors. Not that I disagree, but it's just not as black and white as you paint.
Nothing in that chain is "I hope." I believe all to be fairly self-evident truisms.

The favored customer status just means that the chips are available to Apple if Intel is making them, and Intel is. However the quantity of chips being delivered relative to demand for Merom MBPs is a BIG unknown. As noted that could cause delivery delays.

Relative to rolling out a product with the rest of the pack I can see no engineering impediments. Can you? [of course like I stated glitches could always happen.]

P.S. In any event I personally do intend to buy a Merom MBP! :-)

- Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Aug 10, 2006 at 06:55 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules