Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > World Adapter Kit for Macbook?

World Adapter Kit for Macbook?
Phil333
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2006, 11:47 AM

Hey guys. I'm going to be taking my MacBook with me to London for a year and was wondering about power. I was going to just buy the world adapter kit (because I might do some travelling in Europe as well) but the Apple website lists what it works on and the Macbook isn't there. Says it works for the Macbook Pro, but doesn't mention the Macbook. Is it actually okay for the Macbook? Or what should I do?

Thanks
-Phil

rajulkabir
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2006, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Phil333
Hey guys. I'm going to be taking my MacBook with me to London for a year and was wondering about power. I was going to just buy the world adapter kit (because I might do some travelling in Europe as well) but the Apple website lists what it works on and the Macbook isn't there. Says it works for the Macbook Pro, but doesn't mention the Macbook. Is it actually okay for the Macbook? Or what should I do?
It's really not worth the money. The MacBook is already perfectly happy with the power in Europe; you just need plug adapters.

I use the little WonPro WA adapters that cost about US$1.50 apiece; I have one for UK plugs, one for continental Europe plugs, one for India plugs, and one for Australia/NZ plugs. For $6 I can use my Mac pretty much anywhere in the world. They're durable, I've had some of them for years (I expand my collection as I travel to new areas) so I can just toss them in the bottom of my bag and not worry about it. Plus, they're useful for other stuff as well - the Apple World Adapter Kit only helps you with your laptop. With the WonPro thing I plug in a 3-way grounded adapter which lets me keep my laptop, cell phone charger, and camera charger going at once.

Phil333  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2006, 12:10 PM

Okay I'm just confused about what exactly is needed to plus in American electronics. I've heard you just need an adapter but some people say you can short out your electronics if you don't do it right. So any more feedback is appreciated, thanks.

Phil333  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2006, 03:51 PM

bump

elcheapo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2006, 11:30 PM

US appliances run on 110volt 60hz, Euro devices run on 220volt and 50hz, Your Macbook will work on either one although you will need an adapter to plug in your ac. You can get the adapters at radio shack, walmart, etc.

If you use the modem you might need an adapter for the phone line, available at the same places

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2006, 11:57 PM

Here's the issue: There are two things people are calling "adapters." One is your AC adapter, the thing that you actually plug one end into the wall and one end into your computer.

The AC adapter that comes with your MacBook works fine with European voltages and frequencies. The only problem is the shape of the plug itself. You need an adapter that allows you to plug your existing AC adapter into an English outlet. These are cheap and can be found at Radio Shack, or you can get the Apple kit that gives you replacement plug parts for countries around the world.

You do not need a voltage converter. You just need a plug adapter.

cms
Senior User
Aug 20, 2006, 07:44 AM

As someone who lives in Europe and travels regularly throughout the EU and to the US, Asia and Africa, I can confirm absolutely that wataru says is 100% correct. All you need is the right-shaped wall plug, which will vary depending on which European country you are in. Apple's World Travel Adapter Kit is an elegant but rather expensive way to solve the problem. The right bits of plastic to plug into the wall are available for pennies at regular electronics stores and at every single airport departure lounge I've ever passed through....!

Phil333  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2006, 10:17 AM

Okay guys thanks for the info.

cms/wataru - What devices will I need a voltage converter with? Will my Nano need a converter or just an adapter? The thing that charges my camera battery? Etc etc. Should I assume these things need a converter?

Thanks guys. I've never been to Europe and now I'm spending a year in London, so it's a bit overwhelming getting everything straight.

cms
Senior User
Aug 20, 2006, 10:31 AM

Your nano just needs an adapter, as does your laptop. Here's a scenario that might make it easier to understand: I bought one of the first gen iPod minis a couple of years ago on a trip to New York. It came with (obviously) a US adapter. All I had to do when I got it home to London was pop an Apple 3-pin (UK) plug on the end of the charger and it was good to go. Similarly, my UK-bought MBP came with a UK adapter. If I want to use it in France or the US or anywhere else, I just pop the appropriate adapter plug on the end of the charger and everything works as normal.

As for your other kit, my guess is that most portable stuff with rechargable batteries bought anywhere in the world these days is the same -- mobile phones, cameras, PDAs. etc. All mine work perfectly wherever I happen to be, and they've all been bought in different places!

Hope this is useful. Let me know if you need any further help/pointers about life in London -- always happy to be of assistance

Phil333  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2006, 11:17 AM

Great cms. Thanks. I'll just get a bunch of adapters then and maybe one voltage converter just to have as a spare in case (for non Apple electronics).

elcheapo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2006, 02:27 PM

For any US bases electronic you wish to take with your, just look at the label usually locaed on the back that describes the type of power needed, if it say 110-240 then you are good to go and will only prob need the plug/wall adapter.

Then again with todays travel you should not be taking any electronics with you, just show up naked to make it easier to pass through security.

cms
Senior User
Aug 20, 2006, 02:30 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules