Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > firefox

firefox
samsontan
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2007, 09:36 PM

slow and hangs occasionally..

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2007, 03:24 AM

And?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2007, 03:30 AM

DuckRacer1
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2007, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by samsontan View Post
slow and hangs occasionally..
Yeah, well, that's Firefox for you.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2007, 09:43 AM

I've never figured out why some people expect technical people to troubleshoot with information such as "it's doing that thing!!"...

samsontan  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2007, 12:28 PM

i'm guessing that its cuz of my connectin problem lately.
Or else any of u guys facing the same problem?.. I left my firefox more than 24 hrs on and then on it started to give me such problems.

voiceofra
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2007, 12:47 PM

It's like the people that call a mechanic and say, "My car isn't running! What's wrong with it? Fix it!"

dzp111
Senior User
Mar 23, 2007, 02:45 PM

Tetena, thanks for mentioning Camino. I've been using it for the last few hours. It's faster than the others, I find.

However there's an online gameing site that I go to a lot (pogo.com), and Safari seems to be the only one that's able to handle its scripts.

But I'm liking Camino a lot.

ph0ust
Senior User
Mar 23, 2007, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by voiceofra View Post
It's like the people that call a mechanic and say, "My car isn't running! What's wrong with it? Fix it!"
enough with your excuses and fix it already!

voiceofra
Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2007, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by ph0ust View Post
enough with your excuses and fix it already!
Okay, fine. It's fixed.
That'll be $4,500 parts and labor. I put the old muffler bearings and turn signal gaskets in the glove box.

Neo.cmg
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 27, 2007, 02:24 PM

I just recently downloaded Firefox 2.0.0.3 for use in my Parallels Windows XP virtual disk. I thought it was alright, and thought I'd try it on the Mac side. It appears to me that it renders things a bit more quickly than either OmniWeb, Safari, or Camino. I will say I've come across a lot more sites that have rendering glitches in Firefox than the other aforementioned browsers for some reason. The extensibility in Firefox is kind of nice, but there are really only a few useful plug-ins/extensions such as the AdBlock Plus. I would say the only thing missing is the native Mac OS X webpage elements like buttons and whatnot.

My only complaints with Camino are that it doesn't seem to have the developer force behind it that it once did. I don't think I've ever liked Safari, and would prefer OmniWeb if they would also have more active ongoing development.

One thing is for certain, the flash plug-in on the Mac side is really buggy when compared to it's Windows counterpart. I find that some flash elements in pages will disappear if I scroll the page, and parts of the flash content will re-appear if I hover my mouse over them for a period.

Perhaps I'm too picky, but I would really just like one browser solution to get everything right. Juggling all these browsers on the Mac side is getting old. It's almost like you have to keep them all handy just in case a new site you are visiting doesn't seem to render correctly in one or the other.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2007, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Neo.cmg View Post
I would say the only thing missing is the native Mac OS X webpage elements like buttons and whatnot.
I hope Firefox never goes this route, because I disagree with the notion that web-based applications should look like OS X Desktop applications. They do not behave like Desktop apps, so why pretend that they are?

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2007, 02:52 PM

Try BonEcho, if you have a ppc mac.

mfbernstein
Senior User
Mar 27, 2007, 08:29 PM

Flash support bad on Mac? That's a feature, not a bug :-) Seriously, I agree Mac flash support sucks (blame Adobe)

I love Camino precisely because the new version has built-in the ability to only load flash content on demand (like Flashblock in Firefox). Makes browsing faster and blocks a lot of ads. Until Safari has a similar feature built-in, I won't be switching back. Also on older Macs running 10.3, I've found Camino is faster, more compatible and less resource-intensive than Safari 1.3.1.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 27, 2007, 08:54 PM

I have NEVER had a minute's trouble with Firefox under either Windows or OS X. Use a terminal command like ping to see if you're actually connecting consistently, or use SpeedTest to see what your connection is actually doing. I'll bet any stalls you're seeing are due to NETWORK issues, not Firefox. And if the network connection looks ok, try reinstalling Firfox-it's quick, easy and FREE.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

samsontan  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2007, 09:22 PM

darn it, now that u mentioned.. Firefox is having a prob with some of the flash sites i visit.

Boris_Noir
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2007, 06:51 AM

Firefox has the upper hand because of the plethora of plug-ins available for it.

However, I have so many plug-ins that I use a frequently (so dont want to install) that when I just want a very quick burst of web-activity I use Camino so that it is so much quicker and less system intensive.

I don't know why I've never really clicked with Safari despite is being very stable and fast, just one of those things.

I do however miss the retro look of explorer on Mac. That was like watching those movies where they use computers from the 80's. So uncool it was cool.

Forum Links
Forum Rules