Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone now says AT&T.... no biggie

iPhone now says AT&T.... no biggie
papadopolis
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2007, 05:51 PM

http://www.cingular.com/cell-phone-s...als/iPhone.jsp

It also says it on the new hello ad.... sorry if this is old news.

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2007, 05:54 PM

ATT bought out Cingular.

papadopolis  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2007, 06:01 PM

ya i know... I am on cingular.... we also have stock in AT&T......

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2007, 06:03 PM

Is ATT a good cell phone provider?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2007, 08:15 PM

For me it hasn't been. Rude support, sucky coverage.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2007, 10:11 PM

Still showing Cingular to me, but I know what you mean.

I had AT&T before and it's alright until Cingular moved in.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2007, 10:11 PM

Is there any cell phone provider that is good? They all seem to be varying degrees of rude support and suck coverage.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Apr 16, 2007, 12:50 AM

I've had AT&T and Cingular, and they've all been great to me.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2007, 01:56 AM

Helio has awesome service.
Linkinus is king.

voiceofra
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2007, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by brokenjago View Post
Helio has awesome service.
That's because, like Virgin, Boost, TracFone, etc they LEASE their service from providers such as Cingular/AT&T, TMobile, Sprint...
Since Helio is EVDO, they're probably getting it from Sprint/Nextel or Verizon...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 16, 2007, 03:48 AM

Looks to me like they just Photoshop'ed AT&T over the previous Cingular label. Somehow the AT&T label seems clearer than the rest of the stuff at the to of the screen. Of course that's not of any importance because when the iPhone actually hits the market it will of course display AT&T rather than Cingular since that's what they're calling it now.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2007, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by earthlings View Post
Is ATT a good cell phone provider?
As good (or bad) as cingular. They just changed their name nothing else occurred when AT&T bought them out.
Michael

papadopolis  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2007, 12:12 PM

I have liked it. It has been good.... I joined it 10 days before the iPhone was announced.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2007, 03:30 PM

AT&T sold their wireless to Cingular. Cingular forced AT&T customers to buy new phones. AT&T bought Cingular back. Bunch of bastards.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 16, 2007, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Is there any cell phone provider that is good? They all seem to be varying degrees of rude support and suck coverage.
Verizon has seemingly nice people. But when you ask them to do something, they say they'll do it, but it never happens. Their coverage is very good though. AT&T used to have really good coverage.

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2007, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984 View Post
As good (or bad) as cingular. They just changed their name nothing else occurred when AT&T bought them out.
I've heard good and bad about Cingular/AT&T, but also a lot about other cell phone providers.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2007, 06:30 PM

That's because, like Virgin, Boost, TracFone, etc they LEASE their service from providers such as Cingular/AT&T, TMobile, Sprint...
Since Helio is EVDO, they're probably getting it from Sprint/Nextel or Verizon...
You're absolutely right. They are an MVNO of Sprint, but that doesn't matter to me. They have awesome service.
Linkinus is king.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2007, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
AT&T sold their wireless to Cingular. Cingular forced AT&T customers to buy new phones. AT&T bought Cingular back. Bunch of bastards.
I kind of disagree on this. I re-joined AT&T in Oct 2004, pretty much the end of the AT&T Wireless period. So I got the S/E T637 with AT&T Blue SIM card for a 1-yr contract, then I switched to T-mobile in July '06. I noticed that after the name changed and all those 'stuff', Cinguar subscribers were given a 64k Orange SIM card. In between Oct '04 and July '06, my AT&T plan was still the same and I didn't experienced any changes with my bill and network quality.

Lastly, Cingular didn't seem to want me as a customer when I wanted to extend my contract and bought a new phone with them. Strange.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2007, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
T-Mobile's coverage is basically limited to large metro areas, but their support was outstanding. I haven't been a customer for a couple of years, but I know they usually get high marks for customer support.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

bri-guy
Apr 17, 2007, 03:17 PM

T-Mobile's service is ok, but can be lacking. If you want to be paperless and just use their website for billing it kind of sucks but gets the job done. You'll get a lot of website errors saying that whatever you just clicked on is temporarily unavailable. Click again and it works, or maybe you have to wait a few days. Who knows!

Back when I had it set up to automatically bill my credit card each month they couldn't get it right. Sometimes it would go three months and then I'd get billed for 2.5 months of service and then a week later they'd bill the rest. Sometimes I'd get billed half a month. Very irregular billing, but I kept track and they never overbilled or underbilled. Now that I have them auto-debiting the bill from my checking account it happens on an exact schedule.

Frankly, I hate all the carriers. I haven't had a contract for two years and nobody has offered any deals that are worth signing a new contract for.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2007, 02:34 PM

All carriers have their issues. There is no one carrier that beats all other carriers hands down. Its all about what's good in the area(s) you'll be in most often.

And I've also found that the phone one has also helps determine the signal strength on any given network. My girlfriend and I had the same service, same plan, but she had a Nokia and I had a Motorola phone. In our apartment, I'd get zero bars and she'd have full bars.

Anyways, Cingular/AT&T is a decent carrier. They have issues like any other. I have a feeling they will really step up their service when the iPhone launches. I wouldn't think Apple would let them do anything else but improve their service when they made the deal. But only time will tell. We'll know how good AT&T + the iPhone is in a few months.

Forum Links
Forum Rules