Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is this really the inverter board ?

Is this really the inverter board ?
utw-Mephisto
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2007, 07:34 AM

When I browse any known website regarding flickering screens, I can see that people have the problem since 2000-2001 - which is really scary .. even worse that Apple keeps closing threads in their support forums which just indicates that they don't bother in finding a long term solution.

Anyway, this thread is not about the rant, but about a solution. I have read several times now that Apple has swapped the inverter board.

My MacBook Black is out of warranty so I would like to change the board myself .. I found decent deals on eBay but before I start buying I would like a couple of confirmations that this was actually the problem ...

Thanks
chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

mfbernstein
Senior User
Aug 9, 2007, 01:51 PM

You could start by describing the symptoms, and seeing if they match those of other users.

yaroldb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2007, 03:27 PM

I'd start with that. Changing it is not that hard. I had this problem earlier this year. Apple changed the inverter board. I took it home and a few days later I had the same problem. I took it back to the store and they change the logic board. Knock on wood I have not had this problem again. I hope it is the inverter board, that part is not that expensive.
-8gb Iphone
-iMac 20inch 2.16GhzC2D 2Gb Ram, 500GB HD
-White Macbook 2.0GhzCD 2GB Ram, 120GB HD
-White 30GB iPod Video
-Black 30GB iPod Video

utw-Mephisto  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2007, 07:19 PM

Mine flickers when I switch it on after a long time in either sleep or also switched off completely.
It seems that once it warmed up - it stops flickering ...

I have tried so many "troubleshooting" steps I have read all over the place, started with playing around with the power settings, PRAM reset, before putting the laptop to sleep logoff and several other ..

Its just so disappointing .. this is my first Mac and I defend Mac at work all the time ..but then you read that this annoying problem exists for years now .. This makes me think twice whether I buy a MacBook Pro or not ...
chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

Forum Links
Forum Rules