Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > RAM Need something new.

RAM Need something new.
Ledanator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2009, 08:40 PM

So I've got my macbook, and I find that the 1gb of ram (2 512mb) just isn't enough for my computing needs.

This should be an easy problem to fix, BUT, a few month's ago I bought some Ram. 4gb(2 x 2gb) This was from NewEgg so I wasnt worried about if it would work. Unfortunately when I put in the new ram, my computer just wouldnt boot up. So I decided to put the old ram back in and find a different alternative. Except, when popping out the 4gb of ram I had bough, those tiny latches broke on me. I did manage to get the ram out without any damage, but unfortunately when I put the new ram in...? My macbook still wouldnt boot up. Well $300 later it's fixed.
The problem was the logic board? Since the latches are attached to that?

Well...it's been a few months and I've built up enough courage to try the ram thing again. Except I'm probably going to just buy a different brand.

What I bought before: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208404

What I want to buy now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820134560

I just would like a few opinions from people who know more about this subject. I'd rather not spend another $300 and 2 weeks getting my computer fixed

msuper69
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2009, 09:25 PM

You might consider taking it to an authorized Apple dealer and having them install the RAM for you. Consider the additional cost for installation as insurance.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2009, 04:56 PM

Switching from Transcend to Kingston probably isn't going to change anything; I'd suggest Crucial since the Transcend is out of stock and it's cheaper than Kingston. It sounds like you're not familiar with adding (and the insertion force/distance necessary for higher speeds) or removing memory, so I'll echo msuper69 and say pay a pro to install it for you.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2009, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ledanator View Post
I did manage to get the ram out without any damage, but unfortunately when I put the new ram in...? My macbook still wouldnt boot up. Well $300 later it's fixed.
The problem was the logic board? Since the latches are attached to that?
Seriously, please learn to use question marks ?
You got me all confused there ?

-t

gilp1n
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2009, 03:05 PM

Some macbooks are not able to accept 4gigs of RAM. Check your model

Ledanator  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2009, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Seriously, please learn to use question marks ?
You got me all confused there ?

-t
Sorry?

Am I able to change RAM at any Apple store? Or do I have to go somewhere else?
And how much does that usually go for?

Gilp1n, I'm not near my laptop currently but I'll check it as soon as I get home.

Forum Links
Forum Rules