Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Multiple mics for video to web

Multiple mics for video to web
QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2010, 02:29 AM

Hi guys, hoping someone will be kind to help me out with this:

I've been asked to record a panel of eight people on video, which is many more folks than I've ever had to mic before. I'm used to video taping a bride and groom with mics on, fed into a video camera with two XLR inputs. I've never recorded more than two, and eight is daunting.

I do NOT want to do any post production and mixing, I want all eight mics fed into the video camera though a mixer of some sort (that can provide individual level adjustment as well) when it is recording, so it can go straight to web.

I've gone to B&H and gone over a lot of different recording machines, but am at a loss on what I would need to do this effectively. If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be grateful. Thank you.

~qG5m
2002 Mac Mini i5 8GB 256GB SSD
2013 Macbook Air 4GB/128GB
iPad Mini A7 32GB

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2010, 03:39 AM

A mixer with eight mic inputs, mixed straight to stereo and recorded via the camera's stereo XLR, just like before.

The trick is keeping levels in check.

In all honesty, for eight people, you're better off hiring a sound guy to take care of the mix for you - keeping eight non-professional speakers in check will require compression and attention.

Ideally, you'd record eight tracks and mix in post.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 2, 2010, 09:40 AM

Yep, 8 channel mixer feeding a single stereo line to the camera is the only practical way to go. And I agree about mixing in post as the optimum process. Your 8 panel members will almost certainly not maintain consistent vocal volumes, and even if you use lapel mics on all of them you'll still have variations in level that will be a pain to manage. At the very least having someone managing the mix on the fly would be helpful to keep those variations from becoming too much of a challenge.

Procedurally, make sure your panel members know how to use the mics you provide. I can't tell you how many supposedly intelligent people I've mic'd that thought they had to practically swallow the podium mic or talk into the lapel mic. Which of course screws up all your pre-set levels...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2010, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Procedurally, make sure your panel members know how to use the mics you provide.
Forget that.

Just…forget it.

If they're not professional performers, you're ALWAYS going to have to ride the levels. You can count yourself lucky if they don't smack the lapel mic with their hand, or remember not to wrap that scarf around their neck.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 2, 2010, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Forget that.

Just…forget it.

If they're not professional performers, you're ALWAYS going to have to ride the levels. You can count yourself lucky if they don't smack the lapel mic with their hand, or remember not to wrap that scarf around their neck.
A guy can dream, can't he? But you're right. If you can get them to just forget about the mics, you're doing really well.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2010, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
At the very least having someone managing the mix on the fly would be helpful to keep those variations from becoming too much of a challenge.
No go. The ride will only occur when the engineer has heard the level change, at which point the damage is already done.

If it's not live, then mix in post.

If it's live, then:
8 mics. ->
8 noise gates. ->
8 compressors. ->
8 -> 2 mixer with mic preamps and insert points.

Only way. Expensive for a one-off job. I'm guessing $2k minimum, even with crappy used gear.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2010, 07:12 AM

Really expensive and a pain in the proverbial. I know you've said you don't want to do post, but to get a decent result you'll have to.

Doofy, Spheric, how about this: Boom two omnidirectionals above the panel, pick them up that way?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2010, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Doofy, Spheric, how about this: Boom two omnidirectionals above the panel, pick them up that way?
It'd be a crap shoot as to whether it worked well or not. Depends on how the peeps are seated, if there's an audience, what the room acoustics are like, etc.. It can be done, but it's not guaranteed to give good results unless the whole event can be dry run first while positioning the mics (a "sound check", so to speak). Might get lucky or it might be a nightmare.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules