Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Which Is Better: SSD, OR Save For New Macbook?

Which Is Better: SSD, OR Save For New Macbook?
Nergol
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2010, 08:12 PM

Hey all;

So let me start by saying that I'm a grad student with VERY limited money.

I'm also the owner of a first-generation white Intel Macbook Core Duo. I've upgraded it a bit - maxed out the RAM to 2GB and installed a 160GB hard drive. It's not cutting edge anymore, but I don't do a lot of video or photo editing and I'm not a gamer, so it's still plenty powerful for just about anything I need.

That said, I'd always like some more speed, and some shock resistance too (I carry my machine back and forth to the library to write a lot). So when I saw that Amazon is offering a 128GB Kingston SSDNow V Series for $190, it really got my attention. I've heard that SSDs speed up performance quite noticeably, and that battery life is better too, and of course there's the issue of not having any moving parts to break. The loss of 40GB of drive space wouldn't be a big issue for me, as I have an external drive for media and such.

But $200 is a significant amount of money for me as my life stands right now. So I have two options: upgrade with the SSD and try to keep my current MacBook going another year or two, or put the money aside in my "get a new Macbook, eventually" fund (getting a new one is at least a year away, realistically, no matter what I do).

So what do you guys think? How much would the SSD really boost performance? Is it worth it, or should I put the money in the new MacBook kitty? What's my best option?

Thanks!

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 6, 2010, 08:29 PM

I would put my $ in the MacBook kitty.

QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2010, 09:07 PM

Buy the SSD now and put it in your current macbook! Even with a Core Duo, which I've owned, the SSD will make the computer feel like new, especially if you don't immediately need an advanced processor or GPU.

Thank yourself two years from now by buying the new Macbook that will perform like today's Mac Pro.
2002 Mac Mini i5 8GB 256GB SSD
2013 Macbook Air 4GB/128GB
iPad Mini A7 32GB

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2010, 10:03 PM

You must be swapping so brutally now a good SSD would be a nice performance increase. Not as good as a new computer with decent RAM, but better than a pokey hard drive.

amazing
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2010, 04:03 PM

A compromise would be to get a larger, faster regular HD. They're pretty cheap nowadays, you should check the prices at zipzoomfly.com or buy.com. for example, a 7200 rpm HD...

You'll get a speed increase for a more modest price, and when you do move to a more modern laptop, you can put the larger HD in a USB enclosure...and use it for backup.

Won't be as fast as SSD but it will allow you to feel good about the laptop until you move to something faster.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2010, 04:48 PM

$200 for 2 more years doesn't seem logical. I would save for a new machine. And just make sure you are fully backed up with time machine, so if your old drive does fail, you can replace it nice and easy and fast.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 7, 2010, 05:45 PM

It's a Core Duo, with 2GB of RAM...

I really don't think a SSD (or a 7200rpm drive) is going to do much for him.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2010, 05:46 PM

It will "feel" snappier because apps will launch so much faster. But when it comes to the overall speed of DOING things, there won't be much difference. I always just put 7200 RPM drives in my laptops. You can get a 500 GB 7200 RPM drive from newegg for $75. BUT with a laptop that old, I'd just put the $75 into the new-mac-fund.

P
Nov 7, 2010, 07:05 PM

Hard question. That SSD is not the fastest around, but it would certainly help with things like app launching and paging in and out. What would really help is more RAM, but as you say, that's not possible.

One alternative, if $200 is a little much: The Seagate Momentus XT. It's a regular HD with a large (4GB) SSD cache. It's not as fast as an SSD - it's more like a good desktop HD - but it can be had for under $100 for the smaller versions and it is going to be way faster than your current drive.

What do you do with the computer?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2010, 10:16 PM

One thing to note is that the Core Duo MacBook is a 32-bit machine. We don't know Lion's system requirements yet (AFAIK), but knowing Apple, it'll either require a 64-bit processor, or the next update will. Saving for a new computer might be a good idea if you like to keep on top of the latest OS X releases.

Third party software, too, may start tending to become 64-bit-only in the future, since there are a lot of ease-of-development features in the new Objective-C runtime that are only available in 64-bit mode.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

P
Nov 8, 2010, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
One thing to note is that the Core Duo MacBook is a 32-bit machine. We don't know Lion's system requirements yet (AFAIK), but knowing Apple, it'll either require a 64-bit processor, or the next update will. Saving for a new computer might be a good idea if you like to keep on top of the latest OS X releases.
Don't worry. They only deprecate one thing per OS version, and I'm pretty sure that Rosetta is what goes in 10.7

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Third party software, too, may start tending to become 64-bit-only in the future, since there are a lot of ease-of-development features in the new Objective-C runtime that are only available in 64-bit mode.
Did not know that. Interesting.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Nergol  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2010, 03:02 PM

I've also heard the opinion that I should wait for OSX TRIM support in 10.6.5 or 10.6.6.

In response to questions:

1) I don't use my machine for very "heavy" tasks. I'm not a gamer, I don't do any serious photo or video editing, and most of my video collection is not HD.

2) I leave most of my content on a 1TB external drive that holds my iTunes library, videos, and pictures, as well as my Time Machine backups. Because of this, a big internal drive would be something of a waste for me. I've had a 160GB drive installed for a year and a half now, and I've never come even remotely close to filling it up.

So what do you all think of that?

Forum Links
Forum Rules