Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Tip: clean the inside of your computer

Tip: clean the inside of your computer
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2010, 01:09 AM

This is probably completely obvious to many, but I had a fan in my Macbook Pro that was making horrible sounds because it was clogged with dust bunnies, and this weakened the motor. I ended up having the fan replaced, and the machine is running far better now overall. A machine that is not getting proper air circulation can exhibit all sorts of problems.

Apparently cracking open the case of your laptop does not void its warranty, as you need to do so to get to the RAM which is user serviceable. I don't know how many models allow you to get to the fan by opening up the main case without dismantling anything, but my advice: open 'er up once a year or so and spray it with compressed air.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 7, 2010, 01:34 AM

Or bring it to a service shop and we'll do it for you for $40-$100, depending on how nice you are.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2010, 03:48 AM

My 12 inch PowerBook is a total PITA to get open, so no thanks.

P
Dec 7, 2010, 04:47 AM

This is my favorite tip to everyone who complains about noise. The iMac G5 was even worse, because of the grille design, but fortunately way easier to clean.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2010, 09:42 AM

iMac G4 - That was a dust magnet. A pain to open and clean too, but it was a big help for fan noise.

BTW, I just bought a rackmount 24 port Gigabit switch - on clearout for uber cheap - perfect for my basement network closet I set up during my renovation. The switch is loud because of the fan. So, I diassembled it and unplugged the fan completely. It still barely gets warm to the touch, presumably because it's built for business use, and I'm just using it at home, and only rarely streaming at Gigabit speeds. I may just leave it as is, or at most will install a new low noise fan, or undervolt the current one. The good news with no fan though is no dust inside.

Too bad we couldn't do this with our laptops and iMacs.
( Last edited by Eug; Dec 7, 2010 at 09:51 AM. )

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2010, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
This is my favorite tip to everyone who complains about noise. The iMac G5 was even worse, because of the grille design, but fortunately way easier to clean.
Never had to clean my G5 in its 5 years of use, it's squeaky clean in there still. I think the noise scares dust away.

P
Dec 7, 2010, 12:12 PM

No, on the iMac G5 you cleaned the outside of the intake, because the grille design made everything stick there. It's just not terribly obvious that it's there.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

-Q-
Dec 7, 2010, 01:47 PM

Had to clean out my G5 about twice a year. 2 cats and being close to the floor necessitated that. Still, never got too terribly dusty even with that grill work. Alas, it died about 4 months ago.

Patrick
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2010, 02:21 AM

Earlier this year I opened up my iMac G5 and blew through it with a can of compressed air. I didn't think there was very much dust, until I got it back together, picked it up, and looked at the surface it was laying on. There was a more than I thought that came out through the bottom grill. Unfortunately mine seems to be on its last legs.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2010, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by iMOTOR View Post
My 12 inch PowerBook is a total PITA to get open, so no thanks.

I understand, but if the fans start coming on more frequently or sounding like they are working harder, I'd check on this

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2010, 11:02 AM

From day one the fans have come on when doing something intensive. But FWIW, I did open it up about four years ago to upgrade the hard disk and there was a thin layer of fine dust on everything, but nothing major. Oddly, it wasn’t saturated with dust bunnies like the rest of my house is.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2010, 05:51 AM

Dust blocked a fan on my old macbook, caused a overheat, fried the motherboard and swelled the battery.
Its a good tip.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2010, 05:19 PM

Never cleaned or touched the inside of my 1st gen intel iMac. Running beautifully ever since I bought it almost 5 years ago.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2010, 05:20 PM

It sounds like some Macs are more affected than others, and I'm sure the physical environment is a factor too. The iMac seems to have an advantage though since it has gravity on its side

Forum Links
Forum Rules