Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Mini - Downgrade or Upgrade?

Mac Mini - Downgrade or Upgrade?
Halfloaf
Nov 13, 2011, 07:54 AM

Hi All,

I'm thinking of replacing my 2008 Mac Pro (2 x 2.8Ghz Xeons, 2GB RAM and 8800GT) with a 2011 2.3Ghz i5 Mini with HD 3000 graphics and 4GB RAM.

Before the comments about graphics speed etc come in, I need to say what I currently use my Mac Pro for....Everyday browsing, iPhoto, bit of photoshop (nothing heavy) itunes and DVD watching. Yep, that's it. I just feel my Mac Pro is overkill. I originally bought it because I was getting into 3D animation but that has fallen by the wayside. I don't game on it either. So I don't need the machine for multi-thread rendering anymore or snorting OpenGL graphics.

In comparison, would I find the new Mini (plus superdrive) too slow or underpowered in graphics?

I would have bought the old white iBook if they were still being sold but hey-ho...I thought those were very good bang for buck.

Cheers,

J
2012 Macbook Pro 13" 8GB Ram 250GB SSD
2010 5,1 Dual 2.93 Ghz 6 core Mac Pro 48GB Ram 250GB SD, 2x 1Tb HD, 1x 320GB HD, GTX970 Black Edition

OreoCookie
Nov 13, 2011, 08:53 AM

Why do you want to replace your machine? What are you missing? I'd probably upgrade it by adding more RAM (I'd add another 8 GB) and perhaps add an SSD.

Regarding whether this is an up or a downgrade, for the workloads you describe, a quad core Mac mini would be an upgrade. But personally, I wouldn't upgrade unless I have to. Financially, that makes more sense to me.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2011, 10:30 AM

Selling that Pro should cover the cost of a Mini. The mini will also use much less electricity than the Pro, in case you leave it running for long periods.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Halfloaf  (op)
Nov 13, 2011, 10:52 AM

All boils down to cost...And I need a few ££ more to clear off some bad debt and also need something that is gonna take less space as I need to loose my current work table.

OreoCookie - Not missing anything really, just space and cash. I cannot afford the rediculous ECC ram and a SSD is way too costly.

But Im not going for a cheap windows machine...End of!
2010 5,1 Dual 2.93 Ghz 6 core Mac Pro 48GB Ram 250GB SD, 2x 1Tb HD, 1x 320GB HD, GTX970 Black Edition

OreoCookie
Nov 13, 2011, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Selling that Pro should cover the cost of a Mini. The mini will also use much less electricity than the Pro, in case you leave it running for long periods.
That's obvious. But the Mac Pro will hold its value much better than the Mac mini. Which means when the OP finally upgrades his machine, it may be more advantageous financially.

@OP
You didn't mention your primal motivation to get a new machine. If money is an objective, I recommend you have a look at a used Mac. It all boils down to budget: how much do you want to spend?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Halfloaf  (op)
Nov 13, 2011, 11:58 AM

I've got a spare monitor, keyboard and about 4 mice...so all in I'd like to spend about £500 on a machine, in the hopes I can sell my MP for about £900-£1000 with a 20inch Dell monitor. High hopes, yeah I know!

(I'm selling my car as well! Wife has lost her job...but need machine for contact with the family overseas. Also for e-mail etc.)

Thanks for the replies so far, much appreciated.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2011, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
That's obvious. But the Mac Pro will hold its value much better than the Mac mini. Which means when the OP finally upgrades his machine, it may be more advantageous financially.
Really? Mac Mini's hold up phenomenally well. You see them on ebay all the time 3 or 4 years old but only abut £50 less than their price when new. Madness!

MP's go down like stones by comparison.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

keithjm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2011, 06:26 PM

The big problem with selling the mac pro is the size and weight of the thing. I'm in the same boat (mine's actually a 2006 that I've replaces with a macbook pro). It's nice to have a permanently on desktop machine. I use it for time machine backups and general server-y type things. A mini would be fine, but the only way to sell the mac pro without getting a gigantic shipping fee would be selling to someone local, which cuts down on how much money you'll get for it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules