Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > HD-space redefined f/ iMac & Wallstreet, and wallstreet CPU-upgrade (?)

HD-space redefined f/ iMac & Wallstreet, and wallstreet CPU-upgrade (?)
krabat
Aug 7, 2000, 01:03 PM

I am in the process of redefining my work space, to make the physical surroundings and back-up less messy.

I have an iMac 233, which since the installation of a SCSI card I have great enjoyment out of. I use it for all kinds of manipulations, but mostly writing and updating of a site shared with 6 other artists.
I have recently aquired a Wallstreet II - for the sole purpose of being able to write and upload my daily written poem to my workshop-on-the-Net, be I at my girlfriend's, at the summer cottage or elsewhere, where I need to spend the night. I'm slowly getting used to being mobile, and I enjoy the feeling.

But, I'm fast running out of space on the wallstreet, and will soon need a HD-upgrade, and in this process I'm thinking thoughts that go like this:

- I can easily get into the habit of "carrying too much" - meaning: bringing everything on the Powerbook; that could be solved only by having more space a home than on the 'book. (But even if the thought of bringing everything is a pleasant one, it also freaks me due to issues of inconsistant or wrong back-up, theft, drop-damage, rain etc. But I WILL need it for longer journeys in the future. )

I need to find an application that will back-up edited data only, and a back-up routine that works for me. The last one is something I have never learned - mostly because I often get tempted to re-read older versions of stuff, and will therefore in moments of indecision be tempted to save both copies, rather that replacing...

- I have a CD-burner, an external 4 Gig HD and a 2 Gig HD, and a zip. All are connected to the iMac. I am prepared to sell the iMac and the HD's in order to buy new HD-space, and only work on the PB, but am at odds as to which config is the best: I also work with musical/lyrical improvisation, and subsequently need at least 2 Gigs free HD for when recording sessions on the PB (presently that's what is there in total); I need a lot of space for the stuff I'm still editing (can't estimate how much), but that can be stationary.

So, I need to come to a decision on how much stationary HD-space and much for the PB. I don't like the idea of saving unfinished material to CD - it creates the same problems as I have with my writing.

- Is there any way ot CPU-upgrade the Wallstreet II, as I'm having problems running Koblo's Tokyo 2.5 - it's not a RAM question; I have 160 Megs installed.

Will you please share your experiences on these issues with me - I really need the input.

Regarding HD's:

I have heard rumours about satified Maxtor-customers to 40 Gigs IDE/ATI 66 disks - but I don't think they come in Powerbook flavour... ;-)

And rumours about building ATI-disks into SCSI-cases? Ok for storage, I guess?

And something about somebody fitting a 2 1/2" 40 Gig HD into the powerbook by removing the casing screws on the HD?!

krabat

[This message has been edited by krabat (edited 08-07-2000).]
your body is water, your mind at sea

JBracy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2000, 09:45 AM

MCE (http://www.powerbook1.com) sell replacment HD for powerbooks (upto 30GB for Wallstreet) as well as anything else you need for your laptop (incl internal CD-RW). As far as backup goes you can't really beat Retrospect Express. It will backup to any media Zip, CD-R, external HD, etc... and it will do Full backups (backup everything) or incremental (only backup files which have been changed since your last backup) You can also set it up to archive items (Copy a file to a different volume and delete the origional). Pretty good for $50!

denim
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2000, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by krabat:
I have recently aquired a Wallstreet II - for the sole purpose of being able to write and upload my daily written poem to my workshop-on-the-Net, be I at my girlfriend's, at the summer cottage or elsewhere, where I need to spend the night. I'm slowly getting used to being mobile, and I enjoy the feeling.
Yeah, it's pretty awsome.

(But even if the thought of bringing everything is a pleasant one, it also freaks me due to issues of inconsistant or wrong back-up, theft, drop-damage, rain etc. But I WILL need it for longer journeys in the future. )
Recommendations:

1) get a bigger HD for the Wallstreet II. I replaced my 2GB drive with a 12GB drive through MCE and I'm very happy with the results.

2) add a computer rider to your renter's or home-owner's insurance. It helps to know that if the 'book is stolen, smashed, or Pepsi-syndromed, that the insurance company will Make It Better.

I need to find an application that will back-up edited data only, and a back-up routine that works for me. The last one is something I have never learned - mostly because I often get tempted to re-read older versions of stuff, and will therefore in moments of indecision be tempted to save both copies, rather that replacing...
I use Retrospect. It does incremental backups, keeping the older versions on the media but saving the newer ones too.

So, I need to come to a decision on how much stationary HD-space and much for the PB. I don't like the idea of saving unfinished material to CD - it creates the same problems as I have with my writing.
If you use the PB for both, the problem goes away.

- Is there any way ot CPU-upgrade the Wallstreet II, as I'm having problems running Koblo's Tokyo 2.5 - it's not a RAM question; I have 160 Megs installed.
What do you mean? Is it a speed issue, a space issue, or something else?

[This message has been edited by denim (edited 08-08-2000).]
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

rambo47
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2000, 10:20 PM

I would definitely look into MCE's CD-RW drives. I have one in a WallStreet 292MHz and I love it! It comes bundled with Toast 4.0, but I'd spring for the extra $50 and get Retrospect as well.

As for processor upgrades, both Newer Technologies http://www.newertechnologies.com and PowerLogix http://www.powerlogix.com offer choices. I plan to get MCE's 30GB hard drive and Newer's 458MHz upgrade. Newer's offering is several hundred dollars cheaper and only 42MHz slower, way fast enough for me.

I'm just waiting to sort out my desktop/laptop situation. I have a few of each and need to make room. Once I have my collection weeded down to a managable level, I'll upgrade and post the results.

--Bob

------------------
Peep my iDisk: rambo47
"There is no spoon."

Forum Links
Forum Rules