Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What good is infared?

What good is infared?
keston
Aug 12, 2000, 11:39 PM

What good is the infared port on the pismo? Can i use it for anything besides networking things? Like as a remote control for electronic devices. Is there any software that can make use of the infared port in this way, or similar? If there is, can someone point me to a website?

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2000, 04:08 AM

Infrared is an extremely convenient way of synchronizing your Palm OS device with your PowerBook.

I can't see any other good use becides networking.

Isn't there a remote control out there on the market? That might be cool.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2000, 04:10 AM

Then again, the remote would be inconvenient, since the infrared port is on the PowerBook's rear.

Misha
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2000, 06:33 PM

It sounds cool to say?

There's little use for it, actually. Networking is very sketchy and very unreliable. In order to sync a Palm you first need to have a cradle (which is also much more stable). The remote control, from Keyspan, requires its own USB receiver to be used.

Infrared is basically AirPort Lite. Very lite...

PCTek
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 13, 2000, 07:32 PM

I love it. It helps me communicate with old PowerBooks without Ethernet, and helps me transfer files to my friend's Lombard.

Yay! no crossover!

Wallstreet
Aug 13, 2000, 08:13 PM

Hi i just bought a Powerbook and i was wondering if there is a way to use my infread as an airport type way to connect to the internet (dsl) Can somewon help me??

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2000, 12:53 AM

Misha, why do you second guess me? I am sure you can synchronize Palm OS devices via infrared. After all, I'm a moderator of the PDA forum, right?

Thanks for the information on the Keyspan device, though.

[This message has been edited by seanyepez (edited 08-14-2000).]

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2000, 12:55 AM

I think there was some device from Farallon that lets you network into an Ethernet network via infrared.

However, the infrared connection only works when it is aimed directly at the receiver, thus it would be horrible to use as a substitute for AirPort. Period.

JBracy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2000, 09:39 AM

No one has mentioned using it to connect to your cell phone when you are on the road.

Slow connection - only 14.4kbps, but still enough for checking the email.

[This message has been edited by JBracy (edited 08-14-2000).]

Octo
Aug 15, 2000, 11:54 AM

Actually the IR remote for the powerbook is actually a USB device from KeySpan. It consists of a base of a short cord and a thin remote with programmable buttons, range is supposed to be about 35 feet. I haven't tried one yet, but I probably will when I start doing presentations at school.

pcurtner
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2000, 12:47 PM

I use the Keyspan DMR in my conference room with a G4 for PowerPoint presentations; haven't tried maxing out the range, but it works pretty well.

I wish that the developer of the ZephIR would simply port the app to use a built-in IR port...

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 15, 2000, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by Misha:
In order to sync a Palm you first need to have a cradle (which is also much more stable).
I beg to differ. I have found syncing via IR to be equally reliable as the cradle, no doubt about it. Also, only older Palm devices require that you have a cradle (in order to install the IR software in the Palm) -- Palm OS 3.3 and later include it out of the box. Everyone with Palm OS 3.1 or older just has to install the IREnhance package onto their handheld.

tooki,
who wishes his Palm IIIe had Flash ROM so he could upgrade to Palm OS 3.5.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2000, 07:37 PM

I couldn't have said it better, tooki.

zappy
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2000, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
Then again, the remote would be inconvenient, since the infrared port is on the PowerBook's rear.
This would be perfect to use the powerbook as a remote control for a TV (just an example).

Does anyone know an app that lets you *record* IR signals from a regular remote control and then play it back again?

Regards

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 16, 2000, 01:28 PM

The IR port, as I understand it, cannot be addressed "raw". In other words, it can only be addressed using the IrDA protocol. I suppose that if Apple released the memory addresses to the IrDA controller, it would be possible, but I think the chances of that are about as good as those of Apple giving out the source code to FileMaker Pro or Mac OS 9...

Programmers, correct me if I'm wrong :-)

tooki

Felix
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2000, 04:58 AM

To come back to the original issue.

I use the IrDA-port for printing with a HP Laserjet 6MP. It works very well. HP provides the necessary driver on its web page.
2007 MacBook Pro 2.4 4 GByte RAM 320/7000 HD
2000 Powerbook Pismo G3 500 MHz, 640 MByte RAM, 40 GByte HD, Airport, NewerTech Battery, integrated DVD/CD-R(W) running Mac OS 10.4.11

BrutoBlo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2000, 06:18 AM

irda rules!!!
I use it to connect to internet when I'm not in office w/ a Nokia 7110 (before that, I used a Siemend 25), and it's really stable;
I'm using irda also for sync w/ my PalmV; stable again;

I don't really believe that irda is airport lite;
irda is cheap and already built in in many things like phones, palms, etc; it's easy to configure (configure????) and use; love it!

for the guy asking for an app to record irda signals: don't know any app for powerbooks, but there's at least one palm app that does this; and it's really cool...

anly
Forum Regular
Dec 21, 2000, 10:50 PM

Anyone of you know if the IrDa in the pismo can dial out through a Nokia 8850 (8890) ?
Past Love:
Apple II, Mac SI, PB Duo, Pismo, iMac G4, Digital Audio
iMac Rev.A 256MB OSX10.3
PB 17" Rev. C 1.5Ghz
Current:
MacBook 2.0Ghz 10.5.2
MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 17" 10.5.2

PCTek
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2000, 02:08 PM

My uses:

1) Print to my CS class's laser printer. Screw ethernet! just set the 'Book in front of the printer, and go grab a coke.

2) HotSync my Palm Vx. Yeah, it's slow, But if I find the book i've always wanted in eBook format, i'm not waiting till I get home! I'm sync'ng it now!

3) IR Networking. Blah. It takes forever to set up computers to work over crossover cables. And your comfortability level is based on the length of the crossover cable. With IR, you can set the distance the range you want (of course, not passing 6ft, but oh well.)

Could I live without it? Yes. Would I want to? no.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 22, 2000, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by anly:
Anyone of you know if the IrDa in the pismo can dial out through a Nokia 8850 (8890) ?
I haven't tried it (although I have plans to get an 8290 soon), but it should work, since those (unlike the 8260) have IrDA, all you have to do is choose the modem script "Nokia Infrared" and "Infrared Port" in the Modem control panel.

tooki

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2000, 01:24 AM

it dials, for sure, but first you have to get the service activated by your operator.
heres how to do it (about half way into the thread) : http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Foru...ML/000938.html

Originally posted by anly:

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2000, 01:17 AM

I think there was some device from Farallon that lets you network into an Ethernet network via infrared.
The Farallon AirDock does not let you "network into an Ethernet network" because it connects to the serial port of a computer as a localtalk network. I'm sure if you installed the localtalk/ethernet gateway software you could do that, but its not practical. Secondly, the AirDock uses IRTalk, a proprietary Apple technology that is not supported in any powerbook beyond the 3400.
Also, as it uses the printer/modem port, it is incompatible with any modern Mac short of a G3/4 with a stealth port.

As much as I like it for syncing my palm, IrDA (and IRTalk) are dying and are being replaced by airport. Someday, Palms will be able to sync via Bluetooth, so I'm not sheding tears over that.
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 26, 2000, 02:55 AM

Well, while Bluetooth is definitely a good thing, I really doubt IrDA is going to die any time soon. Why? Cost. Infrared is an extremely cheap technology, unlike radio. Both in component costs and development costs, IR beats radio.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules