Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Has anyone been able to print?

Has anyone been able to print?
cacarr1
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2000, 12:42 AM

Does anyone out there know how to print using a USB printer??? If there truly is no way to print...is this considered understandble or extremely irresponsible?
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

suhail
Senior User
Sep 22, 2000, 01:23 AM

check page 22 of your "Welcome to Mac OSX" manual

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 22, 2000, 08:26 AM

Well, Lexmark USB E310 prints fine. Didn't have to add to Print Center even. And it is connected off XLR8 Dual port USB PCI card.

Gregory

technohedz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2000, 08:33 AM

I installed on seperate partition and I can't get my usb connected 740i to come up in the print center. OS X doesn't require the classic drivers does it?

PixelPimpz
Sep 22, 2000, 10:04 AM

I can print to all three of our laser-jet printer here at work. There is no support for USB printing in OS X as far as I know.

cacarr1  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2000, 11:30 AM

I can't help feeling duped! I can't believe that OS X precludes the use of USB printers! I even read that Beta is being sold on college campuses...who'd want an OS that had such limited printing capabilities? Ever heard of a term paper Apple?

shl1
Sep 22, 2000, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by cacarr1:
I can't help feeling duped! I can't believe that OS X precludes the use of USB printers! I even read that Beta is being sold on college campuses...who'd want an OS that had such limited printing capabilities? Ever heard of a term paper Apple?
Remember, folks! This is BETA software, which is meant for developers to get a head start in application development, testers to identify major bugs, and brave souls to risk the well-being of their computers in the name of impatience :-) You should not use beta software for mission critical tasks such as writing term papers or Ph.D. thesis. I doubt you'll get much sympathy from your profs or Apple because "MacOS X Public Beta ate my paper!"

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2000, 11:45 AM

Term paper? What are you doing writng papers on a beta OS?

Apple does not make USB printers. Ask the company that makes it for a driver. In the mean time reboot back into OS 9 and print from there.

[This message has been edited by Scott_H (edited 09-22-2000).]

bennyGXerox
Sep 26, 2000, 10:01 AM

Can anyone get to printer specific features. In the help it says to chose print from the file menu then chose catagories from the popup menu. Am i missing something or what? I dont see catagories from the pop up menu.

cacarr1  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2000, 10:06 AM

Has anyone else contacted Epson (or whoever the manufacturer of your printer is) and gotten a reply? No reply here yet. In the meantime we USB printer users are, as William Wallace might say, fooked.

Thomas Payne
Sep 26, 2000, 12:54 PM

Well, I've contacted Epson UK and USA, no reply from either. All that time wasted filling in that massive form!

MDA
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2000, 04:09 PM

Originally posted by Thomas Payne:
Well, I've contacted Epson UK and USA, no reply from either. All that time wasted filling in that massive form!
Epson has said they won't release print drivers for the beta of OS X. Big mistake if you ask me.

saul1181
Sep 26, 2000, 06:53 PM

First let me say that OS X really kicks ass. However, I don't understand the shock that a developer is going to wait for the final version of an OS to release a driver. You guys really need to lighten, Apple made it crystal clear from the start that this was meant for hardcore users and developers, and there's a reason that they say to partition before you install. If you can't print than it's nobody's fault but your own.

cacarr1  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2000, 11:18 PM

Saul (and everyone else who has posted similar reply's), I know this is a Beta version already! I'm trying to get answers and/or suggestions from these forums, not the esoteric blather like found in your post. This whole topic started as a result of page 23 in the OS X booklet, but now I know that USB drivers aren't yet available...so now we wait.

cacarr1  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2000, 11:19 PM

Saul (and everyone else who has posted similar reply's), I know this is a Beta version already! I'm trying to get answers and/or suggestions from these forums, not the esoteric blather like found in your post. This whole topic started as a result of page 23 in the OS X booklet, but now I know that USB drivers aren't yet available...so now we wait.

MDA
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2000, 01:50 AM

Originally posted by saul1181:
First let me say that OS X really kicks ass. However, I don't understand the shock that a developer is going to wait for the final version of an OS to release a driver. You guys really need to lighten, Apple made it crystal clear from the start that this was meant for hardcore users and developers, and there's a reason that they say to partition before you install. If you can't print than it's nobody's fault but your own.
Who said I couldn't print? All I have to do is boot back in system 9. I just think that Epson is really missing the boat by not posting drivers for the new system. We all know it's a beta release, but it would be nice to be able to print from within it.

MDA
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2000, 01:52 AM

Originally posted by saul1181:
Who said I couldn't print? All I have to do is boot back in system 9. I just think that Epson is really missing the boat by not posting drivers for the new system. We all know it's a beta release, but it would be nice to be able to print from within it.

JBracy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2000, 04:58 AM

You can print to any PostScript printer -network or USB.

According to Apple's Help topic on printing, in order to print to a non PS printer via USB you need to contact the manufacturer for drivers.

Sounds just like OS 9 to me. It's not Apple's fault that Epson have not developed drivers.

mac freak
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2000, 08:29 AM

I can't print from X...
Printer is set up on an AppleTalk network. PrintCenter doesn't see it tho...

------------------
Be Happy.
Be happy.

gunners
Oct 29, 2000, 02:33 AM

Gregory,
Does this mean you are printing in OS X using the Lexmark USB E310 or via Classic? Thank you in advance, my wife is driving me nuts over the printing situation.

Jeff

bektel37
Oct 29, 2000, 02:48 AM

i am having trouble printing- not via USB, but via a networked AppleTalk printer. printcenter sees the printers and i acn add them but sending jobs is useless.

did i incorrectly set something up? this doesn't have anything to do with similar threads on the forum about appletalk/file sharing, right?

help?!

RichardET
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2000, 08:05 PM

Yellowdog Linux has no good printer support either and they give the same excuse..blame Epson!!! So, in other words, either develop your own, or wait..usb is a relatively new animal for the Unix world, I believe.

Does anyone out there know how to print using a USB printer??? If there truly is no way to print...is this considered understandble or extremely irresponsible?

RichardET
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2000, 08:09 PM

Yellowdog Linux has no good printer support either and they give the same excuse..blame Epson!!! So, in other words, either develop your own, or wait..usb is a relatively new animal for the Unix world, I believe.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2000, 10:26 PM

The only printer I got working in OS X was an Apple LaserWriter which I picked up cheap on Ebay; Mac OS X already has drivers built in for almost all LaserWriter models.

------------------
Chris Turkel
CEO, Mac Gorilla, Ltd. http://www.macgorilla.com
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

me
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2000, 03:45 PM

If you have the developer software package (free download from apple) you'll find in the examples what appears to be a nearly complete HP DJ880 printer driver, though it has 3 errors upon building. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of the system libraries would be able to fix those errors, test it, and if it works post the drivers.

MrTomServo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2000, 04:33 PM

Epson has said they won't release print drivers for the beta of OS X.
I think it's a missed opportunity for Epson to write drivers, because of their wait-and-see approach. This beta version of OS X was meant for companies like them to start writing software compatible with OS X, and have it ready for when the final version ships. This would be a prime opportunity for them to release betas of their drivers and undergo the same review process that Apple's using.

Also -- I have a Epson Stylus Color 600 that I'm using a PowerPrint USB-to-Parallel adapter on. Doesn't work with Classic ... I'll ask InfoWave about it today.

MacNN Member of the Day: 28 June 2001, 7 July 2001

MrTomServo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2000, 04:40 PM

double post

[This message has been edited by MrTomServo (edited 10-30-2000).]

MacNN Member of the Day: 28 June 2001, 7 July 2001

henryhbk
Oct 30, 2000, 11:22 PM

I have an Apple Laserwriter IInt and although printcenter sees it, and sends jobs to it, they don't actually produce actual printouts... Blinks for a long time, but never prints. I'm printing over ethernet via an asante localtalk-ethernet bridge. Prints fine from classic

My epson 850N only prints via classic... I wish epson would use the PB to evaluate a OSX driver, rather than the semi-stable drivers they have released in the past... I am happy to beta test a driver for them, fully aware that there are no garauntees. That's what the purpose of a PB is, to get massive widespread testing; that's something that epson's driver division sorely needs.

------------------
Henry Feldman
NYU School of
Medicine

[This message has been edited by henryhbk (edited 10-30-2000).]
Henry Feldman, MD
NYU School of Medicine

netgo
Nov 2, 2000, 05:12 AM

Check this out!
http://forums.macaddict.com/bbfarm/F...ML/000517.html

Someone succeeded with some hacking